Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Safe cleaning method for black PSE exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:44 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Safe cleaning method for black PSE exhaust tips?

Has anyone cleaned/polished their black chrome OEM PSE exhaust tips as comes on the GTS? If so, what’s safe that won’t harm or remove the finish?
Old 06-18-2018, 08:56 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Okay, I went ahead and used an old standby, Meguire’s liquid cleaner/wax. Always a very mild cleaner and effective. It did the trick beautifully.

If anyone has additional suggestions, still love to hear them.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I just use Adam's car wash shampoo and then Jescar Powerlock.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Avoid using abrasives and be careful even with cleaner waxes as they can have abrasives in them and scratch, too. It’s best to adopt a wiping/rubbing strategy so all your cleaning motions are the same direction (just as you would on paint) so any light scratching/marring over time will be far less noticeable. It’s best to clean really well once then seal with a quality sealant or coating. I use Optimum, FWIW. Wipe the pipes, especially the edges that get sooty, very often. Once sealed/coated this is super easy since dirt/soot doesn’t stick.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:43 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by BradB
Avoid using abrasives and be careful even with cleaner waxes as they can have abrasives in them and scratch, too. It’s best to adopt a wiping/rubbing strategy so all your cleaning motions are the same direction (just as you would on paint) so any light scratching/marring over time will be far less noticeable. It’s best to clean really well once then seal with a quality sealant or coating. I use Optimum, FWIW. Wipe the pipes, especially the edges that get sooty, very often. Once sealed/coated this is super easy since dirt/soot doesn’t stick.
BradB, much appreciated. The brand/type of cleaner/wax that I used, I did so specifically because it has zero abrasive cleaners and only a mild chemical cleaner. I was concerned about the particular black chrome finish of these tips as I have not worked with that before.

I agree on the ‘keeping them clean often’ approach too. I did that religiously for the sport tips on my previous CTT and they stayed pristine.

Thanks again for the suggestions and advice!

Quick Reply: Safe cleaning method for black PSE exhaust tips?