Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Dealer Rant

Old 06-13-2018, 12:04 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer Rant

WHY oh WHY when ordering a P car (or others for that matter) do dealers try to persuade you to add packages that you don't want/need just to boost the MSRP? why cant they just listen to YOUR needs/wants and order the damm car? There I feel better. Thanks for listening
Old 06-13-2018, 02:23 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Not saying who's wrong or who's right but the vehicle may become their challenge to resell when the buyer trades it in within a couple of years or even less or dings them on a survey after having buyers remorse for not taking certain options after seeing said options on another car.

There are things where the dealer advice is sound and there are things where they don't know or lie about so you have to balance between what they say and what you research on your own. Some dealers will talk people out of optioning a base car to the gills and end up with a near 6 figure price tag. In those cases, they are doing everyone a favor. But in most cases, their concerns are not your concerns.

Last edited by rasetsu; 06-13-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:11 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Sales guys always pull the "you should" card.
You can continue to add stuff to your build for weeks. Until they shut you out, on your build.
Are you buying for cash or lease?
Cash? It's your problem if you put too much or not enough on your build.
Lease? They get the car back. But really its Porsche North America's lease return. So the dealer should still pound salt and mind their own bee's wax.
My theory is engine first. The rest is supplemental.
I4, 3L-V6s turbo, V6 3.6L Turbo.
They all come with power locks and power windows, and PDK, and air conditioning.
PINK with lime interior? I could see them asking for all cash.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:55 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

time to look at a different dealer? i see you're in Socal so you've got options.

my SA does explain each option and gives his opinion of each if i ask. and then waits until i make up my mind and he goes and puts it in. i think the better salespeople/dealers know that they're making a fantastic profit on every car that they sell, so once the customer is ready to order, their job is to keep the customer happy with the experience and the car so that they'll get the repeat business.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:15 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

My recent experience with several dealers is they want to sell you anything in their stock, even if its not what you want. For instance..."ohh you don't need alcantara SEATS...they're too hot..." oh and you need the Premium plus pkg,look at what you get..." hearted seats, etc., (in SoCal? really)...you don't want spyder wheels...too hard to clean, etc. etc., etc.. There was a time when P car salesman actually listen to their customers...now its like they are selling Fords
Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by promocop
My recent experience with several dealers is they want to sell you anything in their stock, even if its not what you want. For instance..."ohh you don't need alcantara SEATS...they're too hot..." oh and you need the Premium plus pkg,look at what you get..." hearted seats, etc., (in SoCal? really)...you don't want spyder wheels...too hard to clean, etc. etc., etc.. There was a time when P car salesman actually listen to their customers...now its like they are selling Fords
Ironically it’s like people are buying Fords. Chasing every dollar.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:09 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by 81911

Ironically it’s like people are buying Fords. Chasing every dollar.
Truth. Most people want it now and don't want choices. We are one of the few countries where we DON'T customarily order cars anymore but go to megalots and grab whatever they have in inventory still despite the ease of internet car shopping. There was a time in this country where you would order a car to spec after seeing the few dozen lot cars on hand and wait for your car to arrive which is still the case in Europe. So much not the case anymore here. Try going to a Lexus dealership and try ordering anything. Not an easy task. Porsche is one of the few non-exotics where ordering is still pretty common practice.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 281 Posts

It’s not the buyer’s problem whatsoever regarding what the dealer might sell the car for to the next buyer after he trades it in. The dealer will scalp him on trade anyway, and the OP should get exactly what he wants now. Sometimes people forget who the customer is should do what is best for the dealer - no thanks.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:48 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 105 Posts

The stuff the local dealer was ordering for their 'lot' cars did not include the things that were important to me. So I went the 'special' order approach. Lot cars were heavy on dramatic visuals and special orders were more about handling and performance.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:09 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Find another dealer or another salesman. I've dealt with three different dealers and each of their respective salespeople have been incredibly patient when it came to options. We went through the option list one by one and pros and cons were discussed for each. We got a little bit of pushback when we refused the sunroof option on our Macan GTS, but that ended quickly. Hell, they even tried to talk us out of SC because they said that it wasn't all that necessary (they were probably right about this one). In the end, the decision was left to us entirely. You are buying a luxury automobile and should be treated as such. You should not be subjected to a hard sell.

Last edited by JonCanadian; 06-14-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:41 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Well stated. The issue for me was the GSM
who was clueless about the various options. I would suggest that most of us here as enthusiasts have more knowledge about these cars then the SAs. Anyway I did put in MY order (with sunroof). No SC No Bose No PTV+
Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 PM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

This is the first and only "luxury" car I've ever bought.

The first dealer I went to told me that he won't give me a discount off MSRP because "it's a Porsche, and people don't come in here NEEDING to buy a car."

The second dealer told me I can order it any way I want, but that heated front seats are a good reselling point in CO--even if I've NEVER used them on any car I've owned.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LandCruiser
This is the first and only "luxury" car I've ever bought.

The first dealer I went to told me that he won't give me a discount off MSRP because "it's a Porsche, and people don't come in here NEEDING to buy a car."

The second dealer told me I can order it any way I want, but that heated front seats are a good reselling point in CO--even if I've NEVER used them on any car I've owned.
They are all full of crap! Here in SoCal, 5% is the norm..new model re fresh coming and no one cares about heated seats or steering...dealer profit points
Old 06-14-2018, 10:24 PM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

Originally Posted by promocop
They are all full of crap! Here in SoCal, 5% is the norm..new model re fresh coming and no one cares about heated seats or steering...dealer profit points
It's been super warm here, but a few winters ago it never got above 0 and sitting down on leather in paper thin scrub pants in a car that has been sitting overnight in -20 degree temperatures sucks--so I decided to warm the front seats. Of course I've never actually had heated seats when it was cold as hell...
Old 06-14-2018, 10:28 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Well, it gets damm cold here in SoCal...sometimes thee winters get to 60

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer Rant