Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Possible to add CarPlay to Nav equiped 2018 Macan Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 02:04 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Possible to add CarPlay to Nav equiped 2018 Macan Turbo?

I purchased the car brand new from an out of state dealer that I've used before and have a good relationship with. I assumed it had CarPlay, but turns out it didn't.... has anyone heard of a dealer being able to retrofit it? I'm hoping it's just a software thing (I can do without the Siri button on the stalk).

It's my own damned fault, but it's a big deal for the SO who drives the car every day.... Thanks!

-mike
Old 06-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, but what does she use CarPlay for? BlueTooth audio streaming and Waze are better alternatives.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:55 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

Waze is Apple car play as of iOS 12

You need the optional connect module

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/macan/macan-models/
Old 06-06-2018, 02:32 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Yes, it can be added by the dealer however there seems to be a lot of confusion around this from owners and dealers. From what I can surmise, if you have Nav, then it is not very complex. The big cost is really just a software license (which seems to be embellished with a huge Porsche Tax). As usual there seems to be a lot of variation between dealers on this subject. Some say outright that it is not possible. Some do it with no problem. Suncoast sells a kit to add it but it is not clear what is included. I even called them and the person I talked with was not clear except that the majority of the cost was just a software license key.

I recommend to read through this thread: Macan Forum

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2018, 06:16 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks guys!
Old 06-09-2018, 11:30 PM
Sincity
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the current PCM on 2018s v4.0?
The following users liked this post:
LArry Taylor (10-19-2022)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:50 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

I have nav and checked voice button but not in my car. Is the voice stalk a need?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:32 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Sincity
Is the current PCM on 2018s v4.0?
Yes

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I have nav and checked voice button but not in my car. Is the voice stalk a need?
My guess is no but I think this will be hard to confirm as very few really understand this upgrade. The only reason that I could speculate might be some odd software or hardware limitation that requires a voice button to be connected for the head unit to work properly and to launch CarPlay. But there is not reason that a button is absolutely needed for CarPlay as there is a menu button on the screen that can be pressed to activate Siri.

My suggestion, is to call a few dealers and triangulate their responses. Also, call Suncoast and get their input: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU95BAPPLE.html

If you find the answer to this, please post it. I think there are a few in the community that will benefit for clarification on the CarPlay upgrade and requirements.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:11 AM
ntgcommander
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The voice button is 'needed' for CarPlay, or at least that's what the retrofit instructions indicate.

Requirement is
1) Licence key
2) Replacement Steering Wheel Stalk
3) GPS Antenna - For non Nav cars.

Thanks
Nick
NM Automotive

Originally Posted by sonorous
Yes

My guess is no but I think this will be hard to confirm as very few really understand this upgrade. The only reason that I could speculate might be some odd software or hardware limitation that requires a voice button to be connected for the head unit to work properly and to launch CarPlay. But there is not reason that a button is absolutely needed for CarPlay as there is a menu button on the screen that can be pressed to activate Siri.

My suggestion, is to call a few dealers and triangulate their responses. Also, call Suncoast and get their input: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU95BAPPLE.html

If you find the answer to this, please post it. I think there are a few in the community that will benefit for clarification on the CarPlay upgrade and requirements.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Sincity
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
Yes
Reason why I ask which PCM is current is because I saw a unit on eBay from Italy that is for PCM 4.0. I don't know if I'm allowed to add eBay links or not, but, just copy and paste this eBay listing:
Old 06-24-2018, 12:16 AM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 90 Posts

I had my dealer added CarPlay to my 2018 Macan Turbo PP last November. If you have voice control stalk then the software+license key/installation is around $1000. If you need VC stalk then will be another $500-600. My turbo PP has standard NAV. It is not cheap but it is one option I use daily. IMO it is well worth the cost.

John
Old 06-25-2018, 07:39 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Slightly off topic but when I called PCNA because the dealer had no idea about CarPlay they said that the iPhone had to be plugged into the car to initiate CarPlay. I was trying to determine if I had a set up/configure problem but I was surprised that it could not function via bluetooth.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Fred V
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkw911
Slightly off topic but when I called PCNA because the dealer had no idea about CarPlay they said that the iPhone had to be plugged into the car to initiate CarPlay. I was trying to determine if I had a set up/configure problem but I was surprised that it could not function via bluetooth.

From what I know you need to be wired in.

OT: You can 100% retrofit it, we do it all the time here for customers. Cost is around 1500 CAD here with labor
Old 06-26-2018, 02:47 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Currently, my understanding is that the phone needs to be plugged in via USB on all cars to initiate CarPlay or Android Auto.

Sales people are commonly not properly educated on these things and it doesn't help that Porsche confuses the subject matter with multiple tiers of infotainment connectivity options.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Barry Brown
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand it, it will be on your build sheet (VIN check) as Carplay....functionally, immediately after you jack your phone into the USB slot w/ cable ( the only way Carplay will work), the screen will give you the option to use it as a IPOD or Carplay, with a box that says (do not ask again). Once you select CP, it never ask's again.

Quick Reply: Possible to add CarPlay to Nav equiped 2018 Macan Turbo?