Notices
Macan 2014-Current

One more joining the Macan GTS club!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 03:29 PM
hennabav
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One more joining the Macan GTS club!

My lease is up next month and I just joined the Macan club. Got a 2017 GTS, one owner with only 2500 miles on it. He used it as his car at his vacation home. Only gripe is it doesn't have too many options but for the price I got and the mileage I can't really complain. I'm waiting for it to be delivered right now.

Having it delivered to my friends shop to get a full 3M Scotchgard Pro wrap along with ceramic coating the entire car. Want to ask if anyone has done this to their car and if it really helps? After 3 years with my X5 and parking my car in the parking lot where I work, the doors have become a scratch and ding magnet so thought the film wrap and ceramic coating might help with this. Would love to hear your thoughts on this if it actually does help or am I just wasting my money.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:20 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

nice. what are the details on the car?

neither PPF nor ceramic coating will prevent dings and the kind of impact that causes deep scratches. the PPF will protect against rock chips and light scratches, along with surface contaminants. i've been told that ceramic coatings are really more to protect your paint from weather and contamination, not impacts/damage. the other thing is that a full-vehicle PPF wrap was quoted to me at a price three times that of the more traditional front facing areas/mirrors, rocker panels wrap that most do on Porsches.

so what i've done on all my cars is PPF on the front area (front bumper/hood/mirrors/a-pillar/fenders) and rocker panels, and full ceramic coating (Modesta) on the whole car, including over the PPF material. works perfectly well for my expectations, but like i said - i don't expect it to keep the car ding-free.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:40 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Congrats on the GTS, you'll love it! Post photos when you get it. Sorry to hear where you park at work seems risky for the car. Are there any other parking options? I'd avoid a high-traffic parking lot of a lot with narrow spaces. When I try and park I usually try and find the space which gives most protection to my car.

As for the PPF wrap, I believe I was quoted about $6k, but my used GTS which I picked up came with a front end wrap and a rear bumper wrap and that's good enough for me.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:42 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 695 Likes on 430 Posts

These work but car needs to be somewhat clean for the suction cups to hold. I carry one in my trunk in case I have to squeeze into a tight spot. Just have to remember to take it off before you drive off.
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-30-2018, 02:02 AM
hennabav
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's white on black alcantara. Options it has is PDLS, Park Assist, Porsche Entry & Drive, Door hands in black, and Thermal Insulated privacy glass. Again, pretty bare bones GTS.

I'm more concerned about the door scratches than the dings as the dings I can probably remove with a Dent Wizard. I just don't want to have to repaint the doors due to scratches. But I've never wrapped my cars before so it's going to be a first. My friend who does lots of exotics in CT hooked me up so it was only about 1500 more to wrap the entire car and with Ceramic pro so i figured what the heck, why not!

Quick Reply: One more joining the Macan GTS club!