Macan 2014-Current

Level up! From base to GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 11:26 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Level up! From base to GTS

Howdy all, I wanted to share my experience going from the base model to a GTS. I leased a pre-dealer loaner base model about 10 months back, which I really loved! Around town the base engine and gearing can really make the car scoot. I always felt it was a bit lacking on the freeway, but it's still a perfectly quick car for most people.

At the time, I really wanted to get a GTS, but didn't (trying to keep my costs down) so I also avoided driving one. Having said that, that didn't stop me from looking at dealer inventory online, almost everyday. I was looking for a lightly used GTS with LED headlights and cooled seats in particular.

One popped up at Mercedes in Wilsonville (great people to deal with) who traded their GTS in for a Macan Turbo! ( I guess this level-up thing is real for Macan owners)

This used GTS with 21k miles had an MSRP of $86k, so I took it for a spin and really loved it. They took my base in and I rolled out in the (new to me) GTS. I really love this thing, so much more than the base which is a wonderful car in it's own right.

What do I prefer over the base? Aside from the obvious extra power,
  • Air suspension is fantastically comfortable, and it parks the car in low mode which looks cool!
  • 20" wheels which my base did not have
  • The looks of the GTS package on my particular car look great with the contrast (black vs. white)
  • The sound of the V6 - with the sports exhaust 'on' it sounds very meaty
  • Handling - somehow it corners even more flat than the base model
  • Brakes - don't feel overwhelmed like they did in the base, and this was my biggest gripe about that car
  • Even though I mentioned the 'obvious power' at the beginning, it's amazing how quick this car is in passing at freeway speeds. I genuinely think it must have close to 400hp at the crank vs. the 360hp which it's supposed to have. These things must loosen up with miles.
The base is such an excellent car, and the GTS just takes it to a higher performance level.

Last edited by z3mcoupe; 05-28-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:24 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Congrats!
Old 05-29-2018, 03:02 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Is it lowered? It looks like it sits lower than stock.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:38 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments. I had it in ‘low’ mode when I took the photos and it seems to ‘sleep’ quite low like that. Not sure if it’s Norma or not but I like how it looks!

Do these air suspension models normally drop down when parked if they are in the ‘low’ mode?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:47 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Thanks for the comments. I had it in ‘low’ mode when I took the photos and it seems to ‘sleep’ quite low like that. Not sure if it’s Norma or not but I like how it looks!

Do these air suspension models normally drop down when parked if they are in the ‘low’ mode?
The air suspension does a lot of weird self leveling things after the car is parked. I don't think I've seen mine drop that low before though. It would be great if low mode was always that low.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:13 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rasetsu
The air suspension does a lot of weird self leveling things after the car is parked. I don't think I've seen mine drop that low before though. It would be great if low mode was always that low.
Thanks for sharing / maybe I’ll get it checked out to make sure it’s workong properly. Looks cool though! 😄
Old 06-07-2018, 12:21 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You either have lowering links or the settings were changed via PWIS by the previous owner.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM
bkkchris
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe

Thanks for sharing / maybe I’ll get it checked out to make sure it’s workong properly. Looks cool though! 😄

Very likely have lowering links, lowering module installed or reprogrammed at the dealer. Regardless, looks great! Can never have too much low!

Quick Reply: Level up! From base to GTS