Macan 2014-Current

CPO higher than new build

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:39 AM
cc1988
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO higher than new build

I'm curious what I should offer on a Macan S that built new is 68k but after 400 miles (the owner needed a bigger car) is now priced at 69k (with a CPO). That seems overpriced, and I'm considering offering 60k, but don't know if that is insulting low... Its only been on the lot for 1 month so I imagine they'll say no initially and give themselves time to figure out true pricing, but I'd rather have a new car than paying more for a used one...

Any thoughts on this? Am I being too greedy?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:57 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

It's a business and car dealership. Don't be awestruck because there is a Porsche sign over the door. Offer them what you want to pay and if they don't want the deal they will simply say no. Who cares if they are insulted, you are not dealing with the Dalai Lama.

Last edited by JonCanadian; 05-20-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

CPO costs between 3700 and 5,000. So yes. CPO is worth more. It automatically includes 6/100k warranty. So you are getting a 2,500-4000 off sticker.

Still high. But don't think CPO is free
Old 05-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You aren't being too greedy. Offer low and you'll meet somewhere in the middle.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:23 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

What is the delivery warranty start date - you should have lots of miles and time left on original warranty so not sure why the need for the extra cost CPO. With 400 miles it is unlikely they did anything other than an inspection in order to CPO the car.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:32 PM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I wouldn't pay MRSP for a new Macan. I am sure the dealer didn't take the car back without the original owner taking a financial hit, even if it only had 400 miles. CPO costs for dealer may vary - it depends on if they have to do any work.. The rate my dealer paid for the "CPO certification status" on my 1 year old 991 was under $2000. The tires, fluid changes, minor repairs, were several thousand more. Make an offer, shop around, no need to overpay like a Porsche GT car.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:14 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Don't EVER be concerned about insulting a dealer. If you only knew the crap they talk about customers behind their backs...
Old 05-30-2018, 07:14 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

CPO Macans fly off the lot. dealers can find enough of them to certify. Supply and Demand, baby.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I had three different dealerships here all offer me 7% to 8% off MSRP for my own 2018 Macan S build.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:58 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m in SoCal. Got 6.5% off a new 2018 Build. Sorry dude. Not flying off the shelves here. Plenty of CPO and new 2017/2018s all over Socal
Old 09-21-2018, 10:39 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

One problem that I have with CPO Macans is their almost universal lack of having Adaptive Cruise Control, which I see as crucial for the long road trips that I like to do. I've spent a lot of time at the Porsche CPO website looking through Macans, and I'm astonished at how few of them have ACC (so much so that I'd call it rare). Dealerships seem to put stuff in their Porsches that aren't so important and drive the cost up unnecessarily; I consider one of these to be over-sized wheels (meaning 20 inches and up), which degrade the driving experience and are less safe than 18- or 19-inch wheels on virtually any Porsche. I would not likely ever buy a Macan (or any other Porsche) off of a lot because they generally have lots of what I don't want and lack things that i do want -- unless it's a CPO vehicle with a really low price that would be hard to turn down (with those features or lack of features outweighed by a very low price and low mileage). In fact, I often marvel at the bad taste and bad decisions of Porsche dealerships in designing the builds that they request from Porsche for their showrooms and lots, and I've noticed that dealerships tend to each order the same kind of features across cars in their inventory (i.e., different dealerships choose different options that they obsess over, but within a single dealership, they tend to lack diversity and imagination in what they order for their cars). (This comment coming from my extensive experience in dealing with about ten different Porsche dealerships.)

I will say this about ACC: many other car brands are putting ACC standard in their vehicles that cost 1/2 or 1/3 that of Porsches. There's no excuse for ACC not being standard in all Porsches, given how important it is as a safety feature. I'm convinced that if everybody used ACC on interstate highways, the accident rates would be much lower where there is a lot of congested traffic, especially a lot of slow and highly-variable-speed traffic. Without it being standard, I do think that dealerships should put the ACC option in all of its showroom/lot inventories.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
One problem that I have with CPO Macans is their almost universal lack of having Adaptive Cruise Control, which I see as crucial for the long road trips that I like to do. I've spent a lot of time at the Porsche CPO website looking through Macans, and I'm astonished at how few of them have ACC (so much so that I'd call it rare). Dealerships seem to put stuff in their Porsches that aren't so important and drive the cost up unnecessarily; I consider one of these to be over-sized wheels (meaning 20 inches and up), which degrade the driving experience and are less safe than 18- or 19-inch wheels on virtually any Porsche. I would not likely ever buy a Macan (or any other Porsche) off of a lot because they generally have lots of what I don't want and lack things that i do want -- unless it's a CPO vehicle with a really low price that would be hard to turn down (with those features or lack of features outweighed by a very low price and low mileage). In fact, I often marvel at the bad taste and bad decisions of Porsche dealerships in designing the builds that they request from Porsche for their showrooms and lots, and I've noticed that dealerships tend to each order the same kind of features across cars in their inventory (i.e., different dealerships choose different options that they obsess over, but within a single dealership, they tend to lack diversity and imagination in what they order for their cars). (This comment coming from my extensive experience in dealing with about ten different Porsche dealerships.)

I will say this about ACC: many other car brands are putting ACC standard in their vehicles that cost 1/2 or 1/3 that of Porsches. There's no excuse for ACC not being standard in all Porsches, given how important it is as a safety feature. I'm convinced that if everybody used ACC on interstate highways, the accident rates would be much lower where there is a lot of congested traffic, especially a lot of slow and highly-variable-speed traffic. Without it being standard, I do think that dealerships should put the ACC option in all of its showroom/lot inventories.
We have drifted off topic, but I'm with you on the ACC. It is the best thing since sliced bread. It cuts the drama of freeway crawling in the PNW down quite a bit.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:25 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

I think that my comments have relevance to the initial topic of this thread -- what's worthwhile in terms of cost. I'm saying that lots of CPO cars are ordered by dealers and have irrelevant expensive options and lack some relevant useful options.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:21 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy

Yeah, lack of ACC/PAS is not just an issue on CPO Macans, but ALL Macans.....but it’s the same in the Cayenne world too. My last Cayenne Turbo had it and it is pretty sweet, though not a deal killer for me.

And with regard to it not being standard when many more pedestrian vehicles from other manufacturers offer it standard, yeah well, the same could be said for many of Porsche’s options (LCA, etc). <sigh>
Old 09-24-2018, 09:31 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

The dearth of ACC equipped CPO or all Macans & Cayennes indicates most buyers didn't consider that feature
to be a 'must have' and/or they were unwilling to pay for it. While some may consider it to be a candidate for
standard equipment, Porsche's approach would seem to be: pay for the features you want.

Quick Reply: CPO higher than new build