Macan 2014-Current

A/C Smell on startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:12 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A/C Smell on startup

Recently our low mileage MY17 Macan S A/C started to smell when starting the car. The smell is sort of a deep musty smell with metallic tones - kind of like old milling machines in a metal machining shop, if that helps at all with description. It is present on every startup, but worse if the car has been sitting for an extended period of time (such as overnight). The smell goes away after the first 20-30 seconds of running the HVAC. The car is garaged in a climate controlled space. I'll have the dealership take a look under warrantee if I need to, but I was hoping some of you might have some ideas of things I can quickly check on before I bother doing that.

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:35 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Change your cabin filter. They get stinky.
Available from lots of sources.
Don't trust my searching abilities. Double check fitment...
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Change your cabin filter. They get stinky.
Available from lots of sources.
Don't trust my searching abilities. Double check fitment...
https://www.amazon.com/CF11179-Fresh...n+cabin+filter
That's one of the items I was going to check on particularly because it was just changed last month. I'm curious if something was left in its place (like a shop glove).
Old 04-16-2018, 08:10 PM
zekeman1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it's just humidity that has sat in the system for a while. I correct it by shooting a bit of Lysol spray into the a/c while set on recirculating; corrects it every time.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 2015 with exactly your same symptoms it end up being the evaporator. At first it took a couple of months for the a/c to stop working(cooling). By the fourth month every 3 weeks to a month the a/c stopped cooling. After six month and four visit to the dealer (In the first three they could not find the leak even after pouring tones of ink into the system) Porsche aproved replacing the evaporator together with the condensor, dryer, almost the whole a/c system except lines and controls. That finally fixed the problem. Hope your problem is something else but from your description it sound exactly like mine. Wait for the a/c to stop cooling. If it does you will know the fix even if the dealer takes a long time to figure it out.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:17 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
Recently our low mileage MY17 Macan S A/C started to smell when starting the car. The smell is sort of a deep musty smell with metallic tones - kind of like old milling machines in a metal machining shop, if that helps at all with description. It is present on every startup, but worse if the car has been sitting for an extended period of time (such as overnight). The smell goes away after the first 20-30 seconds of running the HVAC. The car is garaged in a climate controlled space. I'll have the dealership take a look under warrantee if I need to, but I was hoping some of you might have some ideas of things I can quickly check on before I bother doing that.

Thank you in advance!
From the wet capital of the world, Seattle, this smells like mold.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Originally Posted by zekeman1
Believe it's just humidity that has sat in the system for a while. I correct it by shooting a bit of Lysol spray into the a/c while set on recirculating; corrects it every time.
Not a bad idea!

Originally Posted by zagaone
On my 2015 with exactly your same symptoms it end up being the evaporator... ...Porsche aproved replacing the evaporator together with the condensor, dryer, almost the whole a/c system except lines and controls. That finally fixed the problem.

Thank you for the insight on this and for sharing your experience. Sounds hair-ripping frustrating. Hopefully I'm no on the same path.

Originally Posted by wwahl
It might be. I live in Houston, after all. The car is very low mileage and spends most of its time in a climate controlled garage. Hopefully it's not mold.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Make sure your AC condensation drain is clear and properly working.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Make sure your AC condensation drain is clear and properly working.
Lex, happen to know where that is in a Macan?
Old 04-17-2018, 10:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Lex, happen to know where that is in a Macan?
Not exactly, sorry, but with the AC running, you should see it dripping outside the Macan up near the front.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Not exactly, sorry, but with the AC running, you should see it dripping outside the Macan up near the front.
Will check on it this week. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:13 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Will check on it this week. Thank you!

X2 on check drains. My X5 had two filled fish tanks in front of the windshield. Drain holes were clogged. I'm sure the Macan has the same set up.
Time to explore.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:12 AM
zekeman1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl

+1
Old 04-18-2018, 11:43 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I also hope is mold. In my case after 3 years and 35,000 miles of daily driving with the a/c On, 100% of the time, at a very humid and hot climate (>90F) Caribbean island, mold smell was not present.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:59 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Phil.....this was a very common issue on E9X series BMW's. As stated above, the evaporator was the problem in this case as well. The only fix was to remove the dash and have it replaced. Might try this as a quick remedy until you can get to the dealer.....before you pull into the garage turn the compressor off and let the fan run for couple of minutes. This will dry things out some so the condensation isn't as bad. H-Town humidity will only get worse as you know..........Phil

Quick Reply: A/C Smell on startup