Macan 2014-Current

Should I get a Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 PM
Julesman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a Macan?

I’m trying to decide whether or not to buy a Macan S. I am definitely going to buy some type of new SUV fairly soon. I was almost settled on a Nissan Pathfinder. The version I want would cost about $35,000.

But now I have inherited a little bit (not a lot) of money from Mom, who passed away last year. I will have enough to buy a Macan S with my preference of options for about $55,000. I have driven the Macan at the dealer and also driven one owned by my neighbor. I love the way the car handles and I love the well-designed interior.

I like the 4 wheel drive of the Macan. The Pathfinder I want has front wheel drive, which I believe will work as well as four wheel drive in most situations. The engine of the Macan is a bit small, but seems to have good performance anyway.

For the last two decades, I have purchased almost all Nissan vehicles for myself and my family. I like the way they are built and that they can last for very high mileage. I have a long commute to work and I put a lot of miles on my car. I also add a lot of miles for my various outdoor activities. My cars take a lot of punishment.

My main question is, will the Macan hold up as well? It’s such a new model that it doesn’t have much of a track record as far as high mileage goes.

Those of you who currently own Macans and drive them regularly, what do you think? Save money and buy a reliable Nissan, or splurge and buy the Macan?
Old 03-30-2018, 12:15 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Splurge. One day you'll add me to your Christmas Card list for having made the recommendation...
Old 03-30-2018, 08:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Yes, and the license plate should say LOVEMOM
or some other appropriate sentiment
Old 03-30-2018, 10:30 AM
GmanJeff
4th Gear

Only you can evaluate the opportunity cost involved. That is, what alternative uses do you have for that part of the inheritance you are thinking about putting towards a Macan, and what is the relative value of those alternatives to you in comparison? Do you need additional retirement savings, or savings for a child's education? If so, those probably should be a higher priority. Against other options, you might find that putting the $ towards a Macan to be a good choice since you spend a lot of time in your vehicle and appear to appreciate the performance and other distinctions it offers over more plebian choices.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:37 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Honestly, I'd say no. Macan's are not good on gas mileage (requires premium too) and they also have higher maintenance costs than most other cars on the road. Ask yourself why you want a Macan versus how you will use it. Do you just want entry into the brand? Don't do it. If you are used to Nissans your entire life (GTR excluded) you will likely not be happy with the cost of ownership of a Porsche. Tires and oil will be a shock. I gently broke myself in by starting with VW, to Audi, to Porsche and even then, the frequency of fill ups sting a bit.

FWD Pathfinders aren't exactly known to be good cars. If you want to splurge a little and still save some of the money, I suggest looking at the Mazda CX-7 if you want a sharp new design with some sporty driving dynamics or a TRD 4-Runner if you want some rugged design and traditional SUV handling plus nearly zero depreciation.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:00 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

You'll also need to consider depreciation as you say you put a lot of miles on your vehicles. If you don't skimp on the maintenance, my experience is that Porsches are pretty reliable so you shouldn't expect to have many expensive repairs. But the resale value may fall more sharply than you're expecting with high mileage. Plus as said above, consumables are more expensive. Even though it's an SUV a Macan still leans more towards performance than economy.

If you aren't stretching yourself too much, and you're still going to be able to build your savings, by all means ****** one up -- they're great as everyone here will tell you. If you do buy one, knowing the total cost of ownership up front will keep your enjoyment from being spoiled by nasty surprises down the road.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 PM
Julesman
Intermediate

Thanks to all of you who replied. You've given me some important issues to consider.

Another car I'm considering is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio. It's very similar to the base model Macan. 2 liter, 4 cylinder engine. Similar interior. 4 wheel drive.

Do any of you have knowledge of these? I am a bit worried about finding places to get it worked on or to get parts. Alfa Romeo does not have the same presence in the USA as Porsche does. The salesman I talked to today said any Fiat dealer can work on them and get whatever parts are needed. But, as you know.....
Old 03-31-2018, 12:54 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Again, no. Alfas are not for the automotively inexperienced. Expect tons of growing pains. You'd be much better off with Porsche reliability.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:23 AM
Julesman
Intermediate

Thanks for your thoughts, rasetsu. Have you ever owned an Alfa Romeo? If so, which model?
Old 03-31-2018, 05:23 AM
der Geist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in a nearly identical position last month. I ended up going with a VW Touareg diesel. This is my 3rd Touareg, my 1st diesel. I loved the Macan but here are my reasons for going with the VW.

The VW’s are being very heavily discounted to get them off the lot. 10k off sticker is being advertised, I was able to negotiate more.
they are 2016’s but carry a new car warranty nearly double Porsche’s.
Macans are selling for a premium here.
VW gets much better MPG
both are luxury vehicles and have great build quality.
towing package is included with the VW.
deisel reliability and economy. I get 25 to 28 mpg on the highway.
The maintainanence costs of a Macan scared me off. Repairs out of warranty can be steep.
Touareg is more like a Cayenne than a Macan,
the Touareg gives you much bigger bang for your buck. Dollar for dollar the Macan doesn’t even come close.

if I were in your shoes I might consider buying a Toyota for low maintainanence costs and reliability.
put the leftover in a savings fund for a 911
As others have pointed out, you are going to take a big hit on a high mileage Porsche come trade in time.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:05 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Julesman
Thanks for your thoughts, rasetsu. Have you ever owned an Alfa Romeo? If so, which model?
No, aside from the 8C, Alfa just recently returned to the US with the 4C, then Guilia, and now Stelvio after a 30+ year hiatus. The issues with the Guilia and Stelvio are because they are brand new and were rushed through development. The issues are well documented. Add to that Italian engineering and you have a car that will require some patience.

They are praised for their style and dynamics which is great for people who know cars and have back up cars. But as a high mileage daily, not a good idea.

I concur with the above poster. Toureg is great. If too big, then new Tiguan is very attractive. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a loaded TRD Pro 4 Runner.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:16 PM
Julesman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rasetsu
No, aside from the 8C, Alfa just recently returned to the US with the 4C, then Guilia, and now Stelvio after a 30+ year hiatus. The issues with the Guilia and Stelvio are because they are brand new and were rushed through development. The issues are well documented. Add to that Italian engineering and you have a car that will require some patience.

They are praised for their style and dynamics which is great for people who know cars and have back up cars. But as a high mileage daily, not a good idea.

I concur with the above poster. Toureg is great. If too big, then new Tiguan is very attractive. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a loaded TRD Pro 4 Runner.
I see. Thanks for the info. I definitely don't want to buy a car that was rushed into production. I read today that Fiat wants to put Maserati and Alfa together into a separate company and spin it off, like they did to Ferrari two years ago. If they do that, it may not be possible to get an Alfa serviced by a Fiat/Chrysler dealer.

I do have backup cars. I learned long ago its easier to keep an old car for backup than to rent cars.

The 4Runner may be a good idea. I'm not a fan of Volkswagons (I'm aware of their co-ownership structure with Porsche), but I'll check out their Toureg and Tiguan.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:57 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I made my move from 28 years with a Nissan Pathfinder to the Macan S, also with help from my 104 year old mother who passed away last year. With the various add ons and closing costs I am at about $82,000.00 for my 2018 delivered in January. After a couple of months orientation I can tell you there is no better vehicle for all around use. If you decide to go this direction you will never regret it. Besides, as far as I know you have only one life so enjoy it.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:54 PM
Julesman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wwahl
I made my move from 28 years with a Nissan Pathfinder to the Macan S, also with help from my 104 year old mother who passed away last year. With the various add ons and closing costs I am at about $82,000.00 for my 2018 delivered in January. After a couple of months orientation I can tell you there is no better vehicle for all around use. If you decide to go this direction you will never regret it. Besides, as far as I know you have only one life so enjoy it.
Thanks, wwahl. I'm thinking along those same lines. The other guys are worried I don't have a backup car (I have two), or that I don't have enough retirement savings. I have a good handle on that too.

Your mom really lived a long time! Mine was a youngster when she passed away. She was only 92. LOL.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:09 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

4 runner or Highlander with highest hp engine....best reliability, options, space....for the money and invest inheritance in real estate or investments...

Quick Reply: Should I get a Macan?