Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Is Connect Plus worth anything without paid subscription?

Old 03-28-2018, 08:44 PM
ksolnit
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Connect Plus worth anything without paid subscription?

I have a Boxster on order, with Navigation, and am trying to decide whether there's any reason to add Connect Plus. I do not want to pay $189/yr after 12 months. Will it give me anything useful for free?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:18 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe the answer is no.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:01 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ksolnit
I have a Boxster on order, with Navigation, and am trying to decide whether there's any reason to add Connect Plus. I do not want to pay $189/yr after 12 months. Will it give me anything useful for free?

The centerpiece of Connect Plus is Apple CarPlay. Porsche claims that 75%-80% of their owners have iPhones, which is why they offer Apple options rather than Android options. Apple CarPlay has come a long way in the past several years, and most users now prefer it to a hard-drive navigation system. Those hard-drive navigation systems are going by the wayside and will probably seem very dated in a few years.

Apple CarPlay also comes with Siri, which is a drastically better voice recognition system than the free Voice Control option offered by Porsche.

There are a myriad of other features that come with Connect Plus, but all of them have a monthly (or annual) subscription.

If you do not have an iPhone or if you are not particularly tech-savvy, then Apple CarPlay would be meaningless to you.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:55 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I just got the standard Connect with no nav. I use Apple Car Play all the time for music, nav, contacts, phone, etc. Best decision I made was to NOT get the expensive Connect Plus and Nav and apply that money to other options I wanted.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:42 AM
SFG57
2nd Gear

As a new owner who purchased a Macan Turbo off the lot with Connect Plus in the option package, I can say that it's unlikely I will renew next year. The app has few useful features, downloading maps from Google Maps to the car is a nice to have if you really need that feature, there is a status page on the app that tells you how fast you are going and how many miles you have driven and whether your car ignition is on (total useless information), next page is a map with a big grey circle which is supposed to tell me where my car is which it doesn't, service interval, and TPMS. All of this available on you PCM. The remote function allows you to lock the car and fold the mirrors, that's it. The only usefull thing I can find on the app is Find My Car and not because of the map function which tells me my car is somewhere in the city I live in, it can't focus down to the exact location, it allows you to flash your lights and if you hit the horn button on the app it activates the ALARM. I LOVE my car, don't get me wrong, but as far as their technology outside of the car, it's awful! Three years ago I leased a Lincoln MKC SUV for my wife just because of the deal they were offering on this new model was too good to pass up. The app that came with that car was AWESOME compared to the Porsche. I believe Apple car play comes with the car even if you don't renew car connect plus.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Just to clarify, you don't need a separate subscription to to run CarPlay, but you obviously need an iPhone that has a cell contract to use CarPlay. I never use the in-car nav and rely 100% on Apple Maps. Hardly ever use the tuner and listen to most of my music through Pandora.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:21 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SFG57
As a new owner who purchased a Macan Turbo off the lot with Connect Plus in the option package, I can say that it's unlikely I will renew next year. The app has few useful features, downloading maps from Google Maps to the car is a nice to have if you really need that feature, there is a status page on the app that tells you how fast you are going and how many miles you have driven and whether your car ignition is on (total useless information), next page is a map with a big grey circle which is supposed to tell me where my car is which it doesn't, service interval, and TPMS. All of this available on you PCM. The remote function allows you to lock the car and fold the mirrors, that's it. The only usefull thing I can find on the app is Find My Car and not because of the map function which tells me my car is somewhere in the city I live in, it can't focus down to the exact location, it allows you to flash your lights and if you hit the horn button on the app it activates the ALARM. I LOVE my car, don't get me wrong, but as far as their technology outside of the car, it's awful! Three years ago I leased a Lincoln MKC SUV for my wife just because of the deal they were offering on this new model was too good to pass up. The app that came with that car was AWESOME compared to the Porsche. I believe Apple car play comes with the car even if you don't renew car connect plus.
I believe you are confusing 2 different systems here. The Google Maps and live traffic info comes through the Connect+ system with a required subscription. The other features like locking, folding mirrors, Find My Car are all part of the Car Connect system, which I believe does not require a paid subscription.

There was a very detailed thread here recently that attempts to clarify what these two (very similarly named) systems do.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:23 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Porsche Connect gives you all the useful features already and that includes Car Play and Connect app which has some mobile phone remote functions all at no costs after upfront option cost.

Plus also gives you Wifi hotspotting off the PCM and ability to load offline maps and points of interest onto the PCM which all requires annual subscription.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:57 PM
SFG57
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bwiele
I believe you are confusing 2 different systems here. The Google Maps and live traffic info comes through the Connect+ system with a required subscription. The other features like locking, folding mirrors, Find My Car are all part of the Car Connect system, which I believe does not require a paid subscription.

There was a very detailed thread here recently that attempts to clarify what these two (very similarly named) systems do.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll check into it.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 160 Posts

How can “find my car” etc. work unless the car has a SIM card (that is, a cellular data connection)? Isn’t that what the “Plus” provides, and for which a subscription is required?
Old 03-31-2018, 12:49 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Adk46
How can “find my car” etc. work unless the car has a SIM card (that is, a cellular data connection)? Isn’t that what the “Plus” provides, and for which a subscription is required?
You don't need plus for that. There is an embedded Vodafone SIM with even just Connect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Connect Plus worth anything without paid subscription?