Macan 2014-Current

Rear window wiper

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 09:21 PM
Emmett Bowd
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear window wiper

Anyone else have issues with their rear window wiper doing a terrible job?

I live in Canada and dealing with the snow melt and grime/dirt for sand spreader etc. Leaves my rear window perpetually dirty. When I spray it with cleaner and turn on the wiper, it does a pretty poor job of taking any of the dirt away.

Has anyone replaced the rear wiper with something other than a factory blade and get a great experience with it?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:44 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

The rear wiper on our Macan GTS always chatters on the first wipe, but is smooth going back. Other than that it does a decent job clearing the rear window, although the rear window easily gets dirty very quickly
Old 03-27-2018, 09:53 PM
Emmett Bowd
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
The rear wiper on our Macan GTS always chatters on the first wipe, but is smooth going back. Other than that it does a decent job clearing the rear window, although the rear window easily gets dirty very quickly
I think the biggest issue is the pressure it puts on the window the further away from the pivot point it gets. Close to the pivot of the mechanism, it cleans ok.. the father out it gets, the worse it cleans.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:12 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine is a chattery mess as well. (2100 Miles on 2017 GTS) I just recently polished and put a glass coating on it and it didn't make a difference. Really disappointing.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:53 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Same here. The clockwise stroke is chattery and skips over most of the glass. The return stroke is smooth and does a decent job clearing the window. I doubt there's much to do about it, but it's on my list of things to get checked in another month or two.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:49 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

when I took delivery of my CPO MT, the rear window wiper was pretty streaky.

I replaced the blade and it has worked great ever since! I try to use it sparingly - not leave it in
auto mode. I use it to clean the rear window glass and on/off manually, when it's raining.

I would recommend replacing your rear window blade.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:22 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

For both your windshield and rear window, I recommend using a clay bar specifically formulated for glass and then treat the glass with AQUAPEL. Gently clean wiper blades with isopropyl alcohol every once in awhile.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:32 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
For both your windshield and rear window, I recommend using a clay bar specifically formulated for glass and then treat the glass with AQUAPEL. Gently clean wiper blades with isopropyl alcohol every once in awhile.
Thats EXACTLY what I did. Alas, to no avail. It’s so loud I actually scared a backseat passenger once!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:17 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

Bummer! I wonder if different blade manufacturers would improve operation. TRICO lists a 15I as a direct fit replacement but a post on the other forum says it doesn't fit. Anyone tried it?

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 03-28-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:55 AM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever a wiper blade chatters, I always think that it’s old and the rubber has hardened to some extent. Replacing the blade usually helps with the chatter. I replace blades once per year, typically before winter hits.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:43 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1pvr
Whenever a wiper blade chatters, I always think that it’s old and the rubber has hardened to some extent. Replacing the blade usually helps with the chatter. I replace blades once per year, typically before winter hits.
Thats what I would normally do. But my GTS is less than a year old. And is garaged day and night unless driven so can’t really blame UV issues, I’m guessing. I’ll probably replace it but, dang, I don’t think I should have to! Grrr.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:22 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I coated my windshield with Rain-X,. Bad move, now the wipers chatter. I'm going to leave the rear one alone as it is still functioning properly.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Yup....

My 2017 GTS rear window chatters like nothing else.
Once weather warms, I plan to clean, clay and treat the window in ADDITION to replace the one year old rear wiper.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Usually wiper blade chatter is due to the angle of the wiping blade relative to the wiping surface. The wiping edge needs to trail the blade, not lead it. Slightly tweaking the arm to achieve the proper angle should eliminate the chatter. The blade needs to be oriented so on the forward stroke the arm is leading the wiping edge, then at the end of the arm travel when it goes in the other direction, it kind of flops over and reestablishes that same relationship. If the blade is chattering on the forward stroke, the wiping edge is probably leading the blade in that direction, so it hops.

Quick Reply: Rear window wiper