Used Macan GTS vs Cayenne GTS - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Used Macan GTS vs Cayenne GTS

Reply

Old 03-20-2018, 10:03 PM
  #1  
loveforcars
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Default Used Macan GTS vs Cayenne GTS

Hello All Experts:
I'm very confused. I have been researching on Macan GTS and love that... The only concern i have with macan is the back seats. Some say they are OK, while some say it is very cramped for long drives over 2hrs. My cousin is 6.1ft and his wife is 5.7 My concern is: if they join us for long trips, will they be comfortable sitting in the back? My Wife and i are thinking of starting a family too. Thats another concern. Hence i'm thinking if we have to check out Cayenne GTS... Anyways, am looking or used one. Please help me decide..
loveforcars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:51 AM
  #2  
Petza914
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Petza914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 6,634
Default

As you know and why you posted, they are really 2 different sized vehicles. We have a Cayenne Turbo S as our family trip car - we downsized to that from an Infiniti QX56. With the QX we could take family trips (me, plus the wife, and 2 kids) to almost anywhere without needing the roof cargo box. When we used the 3rd row seat, for 2 extra passengers, we'd use the roof box and be able to fit eveything in. With the Cayenne, anytime it's more than just the normal luggage load (1 suitcase each and a carry-on backpack or briefcase each), we have to use the roof box. If there are going to be boogie boards for the beach, folding chairs, golf clubs, we need the roof box. If this will be your family car, I'd be more worried about the cargo capacity than the smaller rear seat, especially if half the rear seat will be occupied by a large infant carrier or car seat.

That being said, I love the Macan and that will probably be the next P-car we add as my wife's DD - currently she uses a 997, but my daughter, at 13, no longer comfortably fits in the back seat. For that duty, the Macan is the perfect size IMO. Ours will be a GTS or a Turbo.
Petza914 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:08 AM
  #3  
loveforcars
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks for your reply. Iím at a point where I need a Porsche and a powerful engine. Not able to compromise on that. Iím sure when my wife sits in the back seat of a Macan, she will complain... Need to convince her somehow... Heart says Macan GTS because of PDK..... canít get a 911 at this point in my life. Hopefully someday...
loveforcars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:08 AM
  #4  
Mark in Baltimore
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Mark in Baltimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 20,353
Default

I was initially going to buy a Cayenne GTS after considering a new SUV for over two years. The one I drove felt good, but the car just didn't overly jazz me for some reason (and I tried hard to like it). One test drive in a Macan turbo sold me within two miles. The PDK, the handling, the motor and the exhaust of the turbo and GTS seemed more special than the Cayenne.

The Macan is smaller in back. I'm only 5'11" (with a long torso), and my head brushes the headliner when I'm in the back seat. At 6'1", your cousin will not enjoy a trip of more than a few miles, IMO. With your passenger and family needs, it sounds as if the Cayenne is the way to go.
Mark in Baltimore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:13 AM
  #5  
BradB
User
 
BradB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,974
Default

Iíve chauffeured around a lot of adults in the back of my Macan GTS and while it doesnít have what one thinks of as ďlarge SUVĒ seating, I have never had a complaint from backseat passengers, including myself. Yes, the backseat is tighter than some but no smaller (and much easier to get in and out of) than most large sedan backseats. One reason we have a Macan is to haul around our aging parents instead of clambering in and out of their full size Volvo. The other reason we have a Macan, specifically a GTS, is the physical overall size, performance and handling dynamics. This thing shouldnít be able to do what it does on the road! Itís amazing.

As Petza914 eluded to, when comparing the Cayenne to the Macan, I donít think the backseat is as important a difference as cargo capacity. The Cayenne is a much bigger vehicle which comes with its own pros and cons.

Definitely drive them both and weigh your wants and needs. A Macan GTS is a very different animal than a Cayenne GTS. (And the choice of options each car comes with makes a big difference, too, but thatís another thread.) And they are both very different from that 911 youíll have someday.

BradB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:17 PM
  #6  
loveforcars
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks Mark..While brain says cayenne, heart says Macan 😀 thanks for your advice..

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
I was initially going to buy a Cayenne GTS after considering a new SUV for over two years. The one I drove felt good, but the car just didn't overly jazz me for some reason (and I tried hard to like it). One test drive in a Macan turbo sold me within two miles. The PDK, the handling, the motor and the exhaust of the turbo and GTS seemed more special than the Cayenne.

The Macan is smaller in back. I'm only 5'11" (with a long torso), and my head brushes the headliner when I'm in the back seat. At 6'1", your cousin will not enjoy a trip of more than a few miles, IMO. With your passenger and family needs, it sounds as if the Cayenne is the way to go.
loveforcars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:19 PM
  #7  
loveforcars
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Brad, You made my day😜 the kind of answer I was searching for lol.. forget everything... willgo with what makes me smile.. the very thought of a Macan gets, makes me smile..

Originally Posted by BradB View Post
Iíve chauffeured around a lot of adults in the back of my Macan GTS and while it doesnít have what one thinks of as ďlarge SUVĒ seating, I have never had a complaint from backseat passengers, including myself. Yes, the backseat is tighter than some but no smaller (and much easier to get in and out of) than most large sedan backseats. One reason we have a Macan is to haul around our aging parents instead of clambering in and out of their full size Volvo. The other reason we have a Macan, specifically a GTS, is the physical overall size, performance and handling dynamics. This thing shouldnít be able to do what it does on the road! Itís amazing.

As Petza914 eluded to, when comparing the Cayenne to the Macan, I donít think the backseat is as important a difference as cargo capacity. The Cayenne is a much bigger vehicle which comes with its own pros and cons.

Definitely drive them both and weigh your wants and needs. A Macan GTS is a very different animal than a Cayenne GTS. (And the choice of options each car comes with makes a big difference, too, but thatís another thread.) And they are both very different from that 911 youíll have someday.

loveforcars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:24 PM
  #8  
BradB
User
 
BradB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,974
Default

Originally Posted by loveforcars View Post
Brad, You made my day😜 the kind of answer I was searching for lol.. forget everything... willgo with what makes me smile.. the very thought of a Macan gets, makes me smile..
LOL! It makes me smile, too. A true ďPorscheĒ in every way.
BradB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:04 PM
  #9  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 16,064
Default

As an owner of an 04 CTT a 14 CGTS and an 18 MGTS. I agree with the others they are very different. Although the CGTS and MGTS are far more similar than the 04 vs the 18.

The cayenne is a great ride if you need the extra space, towing capacity and storage. Although the macan is just an all around fun ride and unless you need the space is my new favorite. As said drive them both and you will know which is best for you.
cobalt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:05 PM
  #10  
loveforcars
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks Cobalt. I did test drive a MGTS and a CGTS, my only concern was the space in the rear seat. Need to take my wife next time... but, im convinced i need a MGTS.. I dont care about rear seat folks :P
loveforcars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:35 PM
  #11  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 16,064
Default

As Raul Julia said in Gumball rally "What is behind me is not important" Well not exactly what he meant but I agree.
cobalt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:11 PM
  #12  
SoCal C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SoCal C2S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 907
Default

I too looked at the Cayenne and then followed my smile to the Macan.

if I need more room to take a trip, I’ll rent a Suburban. But for the other 350 days of the year I’ll drive the smile.
SoCal C2S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:24 PM
  #13  
loveforcars
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Im seeing most Porsche drivers like the smile more than anything ���� Until yesterday i was all confused... Well not any more..... I will be ready to smile in a few months... Cant wait for the stupid lease to get over....its going to be a painful few more months..... but i see the light at the end of the tunnel...
loveforcars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 PM
  #14  
loveforcars
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Hahaha i see Porsche drivers =Smile. Cant wait to start smiling....
loveforcars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:04 AM
  #15  
SoCal C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SoCal C2S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 907
Default

Originally Posted by loveforcars View Post
Hahaha i see Porsche drivers =Smile. Cant wait to start smiling....
This is true....your wife will prefer the Macan is my bet. I bought the Macan for my wife this past Christmas without her knowledge. She hated the thought that her beloved MBZ was gone....now I canít get the keys to the Macan. Her favorite ďfeaturesĒ....the startup growl and the power/PDK. I kid her about the beloved MBZ all the time!
SoCal C2S is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: