Macan 2014-Current

Used Macan GTS vs Cayenne GTS

Old 03-20-2018, 10:03 PM
loveforcars
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Macan GTS vs Cayenne GTS

Hello All Experts:
I'm very confused. I have been researching on Macan GTS and love that... The only concern i have with macan is the back seats. Some say they are OK, while some say it is very cramped for long drives over 2hrs. My cousin is 6.1ft and his wife is 5.7 My concern is: if they join us for long trips, will they be comfortable sitting in the back? My Wife and i are thinking of starting a family too. Thats another concern. Hence i'm thinking if we have to check out Cayenne GTS... Anyways, am looking or used one. Please help me decide..
Old 03-21-2018, 07:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,125 Likes on 3,901 Posts

As you know and why you posted, they are really 2 different sized vehicles. We have a Cayenne Turbo S as our family trip car - we downsized to that from an Infiniti QX56. With the QX we could take family trips (me, plus the wife, and 2 kids) to almost anywhere without needing the roof cargo box. When we used the 3rd row seat, for 2 extra passengers, we'd use the roof box and be able to fit eveything in. With the Cayenne, anytime it's more than just the normal luggage load (1 suitcase each and a carry-on backpack or briefcase each), we have to use the roof box. If there are going to be boogie boards for the beach, folding chairs, golf clubs, we need the roof box. If this will be your family car, I'd be more worried about the cargo capacity than the smaller rear seat, especially if half the rear seat will be occupied by a large infant carrier or car seat.

That being said, I love the Macan and that will probably be the next P-car we add as my wife's DD - currently she uses a 997, but my daughter, at 13, no longer comfortably fits in the back seat. For that duty, the Macan is the perfect size IMO. Ours will be a GTS or a Turbo.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:08 AM
loveforcars
AutoX

Thanks for your reply. I’m at a point where I need a Porsche and a powerful engine. Not able to compromise on that. I’m sure when my wife sits in the back seat of a Macan, she will complain... Need to convince her somehow... Heart says Macan GTS because of PDK..... can’t get a 911 at this point in my life. Hopefully someday...
Old 03-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I was initially going to buy a Cayenne GTS after considering a new SUV for over two years. The one I drove felt good, but the car just didn't overly jazz me for some reason (and I tried hard to like it). One test drive in a Macan turbo sold me within two miles. The PDK, the handling, the motor and the exhaust of the turbo and GTS seemed more special than the Cayenne.

The Macan is smaller in back. I'm only 5'11" (with a long torso), and my head brushes the headliner when I'm in the back seat. At 6'1", your cousin will not enjoy a trip of more than a few miles, IMO. With your passenger and family needs, it sounds as if the Cayenne is the way to go.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:13 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I’ve chauffeured around a lot of adults in the back of my Macan GTS and while it doesn’t have what one thinks of as “large SUV” seating, I have never had a complaint from backseat passengers, including myself. Yes, the backseat is tighter than some but no smaller (and much easier to get in and out of) than most large sedan backseats. One reason we have a Macan is to haul around our aging parents instead of clambering in and out of their full size Volvo. The other reason we have a Macan, specifically a GTS, is the physical overall size, performance and handling dynamics. This thing shouldn’t be able to do what it does on the road! It’s amazing.

As Petza914 eluded to, when comparing the Cayenne to the Macan, I don’t think the backseat is as important a difference as cargo capacity. The Cayenne is a much bigger vehicle which comes with its own pros and cons.

Definitely drive them both and weigh your wants and needs. A Macan GTS is a very different animal than a Cayenne GTS. (And the choice of options each car comes with makes a big difference, too, but that’s another thread.) And they are both very different from that 911 you’ll have someday.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:17 PM
loveforcars
AutoX

Thanks Mark..While brain says cayenne, heart says Macan 😀 thanks for your advice..

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I was initially going to buy a Cayenne GTS after considering a new SUV for over two years. The one I drove felt good, but the car just didn't overly jazz me for some reason (and I tried hard to like it). One test drive in a Macan turbo sold me within two miles. The PDK, the handling, the motor and the exhaust of the turbo and GTS seemed more special than the Cayenne.

The Macan is smaller in back. I'm only 5'11" (with a long torso), and my head brushes the headliner when I'm in the back seat. At 6'1", your cousin will not enjoy a trip of more than a few miles, IMO. With your passenger and family needs, it sounds as if the Cayenne is the way to go.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:19 PM
loveforcars
AutoX

Brad, You made my day😜 the kind of answer I was searching for lol.. forget everything... willgo with what makes me smile.. the very thought of a Macan gets, makes me smile..

Originally Posted by BradB
I’ve chauffeured around a lot of adults in the back of my Macan GTS and while it doesn’t have what one thinks of as “large SUV” seating, I have never had a complaint from backseat passengers, including myself. Yes, the backseat is tighter than some but no smaller (and much easier to get in and out of) than most large sedan backseats. One reason we have a Macan is to haul around our aging parents instead of clambering in and out of their full size Volvo. The other reason we have a Macan, specifically a GTS, is the physical overall size, performance and handling dynamics. This thing shouldn’t be able to do what it does on the road! It’s amazing.

As Petza914 eluded to, when comparing the Cayenne to the Macan, I don’t think the backseat is as important a difference as cargo capacity. The Cayenne is a much bigger vehicle which comes with its own pros and cons.

Definitely drive them both and weigh your wants and needs. A Macan GTS is a very different animal than a Cayenne GTS. (And the choice of options each car comes with makes a big difference, too, but that’s another thread.) And they are both very different from that 911 you’ll have someday.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:24 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by loveforcars
Brad, You made my day😜 the kind of answer I was searching for lol.. forget everything... willgo with what makes me smile.. the very thought of a Macan gets, makes me smile..
LOL! It makes me smile, too. A true “Porsche” in every way.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

As an owner of an 04 CTT a 14 CGTS and an 18 MGTS. I agree with the others they are very different. Although the CGTS and MGTS are far more similar than the 04 vs the 18.

The cayenne is a great ride if you need the extra space, towing capacity and storage. Although the macan is just an all around fun ride and unless you need the space is my new favorite. As said drive them both and you will know which is best for you.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:05 PM
loveforcars
AutoX

Thanks Cobalt. I did test drive a MGTS and a CGTS, my only concern was the space in the rear seat. Need to take my wife next time... but, im convinced i need a MGTS.. I dont care about rear seat folks :P
Old 03-22-2018, 04:35 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

As Raul Julia said in Gumball rally "What is behind me is not important" Well not exactly what he meant but I agree.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:11 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I too looked at the Cayenne and then followed my smile to the Macan.

if I need more room to take a trip, I’ll rent a Suburban. But for the other 350 days of the year I’ll drive the smile.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:24 PM
loveforcars
AutoX

Im seeing most Porsche drivers like the smile more than anything ���� Until yesterday i was all confused... Well not any more..... I will be ready to smile in a few months... Cant wait for the stupid lease to get over....its going to be a painful few more months..... but i see the light at the end of the tunnel...
Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 PM
loveforcars
AutoX

Hahaha i see Porsche drivers =Smile. Cant wait to start smiling....
Old 03-23-2018, 02:04 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by loveforcars
Hahaha i see Porsche drivers =Smile. Cant wait to start smiling....
This is true....your wife will prefer the Macan is my bet. I bought the Macan for my wife this past Christmas without her knowledge. She hated the thought that her beloved MBZ was gone....now I can’t get the keys to the Macan. Her favorite “features”....the startup growl and the power/PDK. I kid her about the beloved MBZ all the time!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Used Macan GTS vs Cayenne GTS