Macan 2014-Current

Oil Change Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:11 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Oil Change Opinion

Debating among myself doing an oil change at 2k (currently at 1600) rather than waiting a year (December) for the first oil change. My debate is if it makes sense to cycle out the factory oil sooner than later. I would expect to have about 4-5k miles at the one year mark based on my wife’s driving habits.

Your opinion counts!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

They clearly say it's not necessary. On my 911 I DIY'ed an oil change myself at 2k miles just for peace of mind. However, I just picked up a 2017 CPO Macan with 7,200 miles on it. It was a Porsche corporate car (interestingly, the car hasn't ever been titled, I'll be the first registered owner). I'm sure the oil hasn't been changed and it will need to be changed in another 2,800 miles. I'm not stressing about it. I don't expect to drive it in the same manner as the 911, but I'll be sure to get the oil changed right on time either in May or at 10k miles.

In re-reading that, I realize it's not really an answer. Sorry! I'd say do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable. If you're pretty handy, then maybe do it yourself. The total cost for the filter and oil is less than $100. Otherwise the cost at a dealership is considerably higher.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:16 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

JMHO, but I wouldn't wait for 10k. 5-7.5K for me. Yeah, I know what all the gurus say but oil is cheap and engines are expensive. Vehicles just seem to drive better when they're clean and have clean oil in them.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

I agree with both of you...looks like I’ll wait the year as it won’t get to 5k.

The 911 is in the same boat. It goes one year as I may put 4K on it or before and after each DE.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

You titled this thread well - "opinion". Absent a graph of engine life vs. oil change interval (specific to your location and driving habits), we have no way of knowing.

Porsche knows better than any of us. But could their advice be based on other factors? Are there countries that have rules against short intervals? Is it a marketing advantage to have long intervals? Have they assumed that the car is driven differently than it really is? Less cynically, isn't it reasonable to believe that lubrication has become better understood over the past 100 years to the point that advances in oil, materials, design and manufacturing allows long intervals? The intervals have doubled just 2 or 3 times since the 1960's.

I just did my first change at 10,000 miles / 8 months. You have my permission to do the same, or sooner. My only strong opinion is that you should put more miles on the Macan.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

No one who knows much about motors would recommend an oil change interval beyond 5,000 miles as good practice. The oil gets contaminants from combustion circulating in it that are too small to get trapped by the filter and the anti-wear additive package, even in synthetics, starts breaking down somewhere between 3,500 and 4,000 miles, deteriorating progressively from there. By 10,000 miles, the oil viscosity numbers won't be anywhere near the specification of what they were when you poured it into the motor.

Those longer oil change intervals are purely a result of JD power type surveys about servicing frequency, running costs, and similar factors. Especially on the newer Macans since they're all turbocharged, and the oil that lubricates the turbo bearings are subjected to much higher temperatures and lubrication demands.

Change it at 2,000 miles on your new motor to get rid of break in metals, then at 4,000 on the new oil (6,000 total), then at 4,000 again (10,000 total), then every 5,000 miles which will make it really easy to track the interval.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:46 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

O/P - Do you have service included on your new car purchase?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I just changed the oil and filter on my Macan GTS this week at about 2500 miles, and sent a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I’m awaiting the results. I did cut open the oil filter and scores of shiny, tiny, bits of metal were very obvious.

Bits of metal were also obvious when I did the same check with my 991.1 Carrera S in 2014. I sent that sample to Blackstone both analysis and while the oil was technically passable they did find a high aluminum content which they stated was consistent with a new car. (BTW, I religiously follow Porsche’s recommendations for break-in procedure, RPM restriction, etc.) They also found high fuel content which they say is also consistent with new cars prior to break-in and the seating of final seating of valves, rings and seals. Additional contamination was noted to be over universal averages.

Subsequent oil changes on the Carrera have been much cleaner with little to no aluminum or fuel contamination. The other “properties”, and “elements in parts per million” (in other words contamination) for things such as iron, copper, boron, zinc, manganese, water, insolubles, antifreeze, and others (they list over 30 items checked) have also been substantially reduced and are much more consistent following the first oil change. I’ve done 3 analysis checks so far over 24k miles and many track days.

So what does this mean? Though acceptable to the manufacturers tolerances and passable by Blackstone Labs, the initial OEM oil fill clearly had more contaminants in it. It would have been fine to stretch out the time and mileage on the oil. BUT, changing the oil did remove and reduce the break-in contamination found in the OEM oil. For me, my cars are a huge financial (stretch) investment. I enjoy working on (and bonding with) my cars. I want to take the best care of them and oil analysis is a way for me to document that I am doing so. Plus it fulfills my OCD tendencies. I am the guy who wipes off his lawn mower after every use, polishes his garage floor and dusts his workbench. So that should tell you something.

Do you “need” to make early oil changes? No. But it is REALLY better to do so. YMMV.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:31 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
No one who knows much...
You should go dig-up Doug Hillary’s oil analysis threads on the 928 forum.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

You should go dig-up Doug Hillary’s oil analysis threads on the 928 forum.
Always willing to read others quantitative analysis and conclusions to expand my knowledge beyond what I've gathered from my own UOA reports over the years on 8 various vehicles, 5 of which are Porsches from '74 through '09.

You have a link to one of Doug's threads?

Originally Posted by BradB
I just changed the oil and filter on my Macan GTS this week at about 2500 miles, and sent a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I’m awaiting the results. I did cut open the oil filter and scores of shiny, tiny, bits of metal were very obvious.

Bits of metal were also obvious when I did the same check with my 991.1 Carrera S in 2014. I sent that sample to Blackstone both analysis and while the oil was technically passable they did find a high aluminum content which they stated was consistent with a new car. (BTW, I religiously follow Porsche’s recommendations for break-in procedure, RPM restriction, etc.) They also found high fuel content which they say is also consistent with new cars prior to break-in and the seating of final seating of valves, rings and seals. Additional contamination was noted to be over universal averages.

Subsequent oil changes on the Carrera have been much cleaner with little to no aluminum or fuel contamination. The other “properties”, and “elements in parts per million” (in other words contamination) for things such as iron, copper, boron, zinc, manganese, water, insolubles, antifreeze, and others (they list over 30 items checked) have also been substantially reduced and are much more consistent following the first oil change. I’ve done 3 analysis checks so far over 24k miles and many track days.

So what does this mean? Though acceptable to the manufacturers tolerances and passable by Blackstone Labs, the initial OEM oil fill clearly had more contaminants in it. It would have been fine to stretch out the time and mileage on the oil. BUT, changing the oil did remove and reduce the break-in contamination found in the OEM oil.
Exactly, and why you don't do your first oil change on a new motor at 10,000 miles. If you pay the extra $10 to Blackstone to add TAN & TBN analysis to the UOA, you'll find that at almost any mileage past 6,000 the TAN will be exceeding the TBN, which means it's becoming too acidic. If that's happening at 6,000 miles, then by 10,000 miles, those numbers will be way lopsided. Fuel and coolant percentages will be higher than trace - neither is a very good lubricant, and the flashpoint will also be greatly reduced, as well as viscosity. You can do what you like with your own car, but I'm with Brad - I take meticulous car of my vehicles as I expect to keep them forever, and with the Porsches, I keep adding different ones rather than selling off the older ones, and a Macan Turbo is probably next on the list. My daily driver is a 17 year old GMC Sierra c3 that runs like a top and looks just as good. If you're only in it for a couple years, then the 10,000 mile change interval probably doesn't matter, at least to you - only to the next owner.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:24 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Figured this topic would again bring out the good points of view.

Just to say that for 2018, the first service is part of the deal from Porsche...so that will happen no matter what.

I’ve always been a subscriber to preventive maintenance and have done so on all my vehicles over the past 4 decades and never been let down by none of them....when it comes time to move on to something new, the neighbors line up to buy them because they know my habits.

So, my request for opinions did it’s job. I appreciate everyone giving theirs yet again! Looks like I will change the oil well ahead of schedule and again 3 months before my “free” service. I buy Mobile 1 in bulk and all my cars used the same viscosity so it’s just filters and time....and a few beers.

Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:25 PM
bwiele
Pro

Is there a Macan oil change DIY around somewhere? I did it on my 991.2 last year. I'm considering doing it on the Macan. Or since I'm at 7,200 miles maybe I'll just ask them to do it early.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:06 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Here: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engi...il-change.html
Old 03-14-2018, 12:27 AM
bwiele
Pro

Super helpful. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB

So what does this mean? Though acceptable to the manufacturers tolerances and passable by Blackstone Labs, the initial OEM oil fill clearly had more contaminants in it. It would have been fine to stretch out the time and mileage on the oil. BUT, changing the oil did remove and reduce the break-in contamination found in the OEM oil. For me, my cars are a huge financial (stretch) investment. I enjoy working on (and bonding with) my cars. I want to take the best care of them and oil analysis is a way for me to document that I am doing so. Plus it fulfills my OCD tendencies. I am the guy who wipes off his lawn mower after every use, polishes his garage floor and dusts his workbench. So that should tell you something.

Do you “need” to make early oil changes? No. But it is REALLY better to do so. YMMV.
The above advice at 100% for a purchased Macan; same report experience with Blackstone Labs. If you are leasing, and will not purchase at the end of the lease, you probably don't care to follow this schedule.
2018 Macan S owner.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Opinion