Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Any Macan Owners Have "size regret"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Macan Owners Have "size regret"?

Coming out of a Cayenne I've had for almost 6 years and want to downsize vehicle somewhat . Kids are all off to University so no more hockey bags, football equipment and kids to carpool. Looking at a Macan S, but I'm a little bit concerned about the size being too small. I have sat in it and done a brief test drive in the base model, but still not sure if it would bother me over time. Do any of you feel a bit snug in the car and wish you had opted for something a little bigger. FYI, the other two vehicles I am considering are the new BMW X3 M40i, and Volvo XC60 T8. I know, very different vehicles and the Macan is clearly the best driving - no disputes there. Just really concerned about size. Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 PM
rpetty3
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We had the same question too but it hasn’t been a concern. We have taken other couples to dinner (20 minutes drive) from time to time and no worries at all. The glass roof front and back seems to “open” up the space some. It’s all when it’s just 1-2 people it shines. We have a GTS and will order a MY19 this summer.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Nope. I came from a 2007 Sequoia, an obviously much larger vehicle, and have been fine with the size. Of course, I knew going in how much smaller it would be.

The Macan is an amazingly fun CUV/SUV to drive and has gobs more power and handling than what I had before.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:05 AM
zekeman1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
Coming out of a Cayenne I've had for almost 6 years and want to downsize vehicle somewhat . Kids are all off to University so no more hockey bags, football equipment and kids to carpool. Looking at a Macan S, but I'm a little bit concerned about the size being too small. I have sat in it and done a brief test drive in the base model, but still not sure if it would bother me over time. Do any of you feel a bit snug in the car and wish you had opted for something a little bigger. FYI, the other two vehicles I am considering are the new BMW X3 M40i, and Volvo XC60 T8. I know, very different vehicles and the Macan is clearly the best driving - no disputes there. Just really concerned about size. Thoughts?
I left an Audi Q7 for the Macan and love it. While it is smaller, it's far more nimble and powerful than the Q7 and don't miss the larger vehicle at all. No disappointment for us!
Old 02-22-2018, 01:17 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Came from a MBZ GL....was happy to downsize. Can’t get the keys from the wife (well it is her car). Done a couple of trips from LA to SD and have no complaints (I get to drive!). Love the feel of the road as opposed to driving in a fishbowl.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:25 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

We came from a VW Touareg. The size is perfect for us. Holds passengers comfortably and even our full size dog crate, which was a must for us. And the handling and vehicle dynamics is unmatched by ANY competitor.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

The back seats of a Macan is certainly not the most comfortable, the front is absolutely fine. I think Macan is the perfect size if only the front will be used most of the time like in my case, occasional use of the back isn't that bad though if not sitting for too long. Also, the GTS just looks so much better than the S.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:27 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

A fun observation, Macan GTS seems to be the most popular Porsche that employees of Porsche Center Van own.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that the new Cayenne would be a better choice, due to the redesign and better technology. However, if cost were a concern, maybe you could take a look at the Range Rover Velar.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to go back and have another look.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:26 PM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Go for it. We went from Tahoe to Macan and had similar concerns. We added roof rails, roof transport system and trailer hitch to improve versatility and storage capacity for trips to mountains. If concerned about luggage space I recommend going my route. Works when you need it and we think roof rails add to car look. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
I would say that the new Cayenne would be a better choice, due to the redesign and better technology. However, if cost were a concern, maybe you could take a look at the Range Rover Velar.
Actually sat in the Velar at the car show on Tuesday this week. Really not a fan of the interior, despite the high praise it gets and I assume it drives in the same, very comfortable way. Just too cushy and "livingroomish" for me. Also don't love the new styling on the 'rear of the '19 Cayenne. I love my Cayenne and the brand, but those Durango rear lights are deal breakers for me. Some how they look fine on the sports cars, but very blah on the Cayenne. Test drove the BMW X3 M40i today. Extremely pleasantly surprised with it. Really a blast to drive and solid and tight all the may around. Very impressed.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:33 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was in bigger SUVs for many years until our boys (and their gear) went out on their own, and our dog ownership reduced from 2 to 1. With just my wife and I, the size of the Macan is perfect for us. The issue is not affordability but rather a preference for a "right-sized" SUV for just the two of us. No need to carry the extra space. The rear seats are fine for carrying passengers. The Macan is agile, nimble in traffic, easier to fit into smaller parking spots yet still carries our golf clubs, ski gear, etc. No regrets and have thought on more than one occasion how happy we are to no longer have to be in one the larger SUVs of our past. Just my $.02.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:35 PM
TeaSea
3rd Gear

I just went from an X3 to a Macan S and found (quite surprisingly) that I could stuff as much in the Macan as I did in the X3 when I needed to do so. There is less headroom in the back seat of course, but the interior space is bigger than it looks at first glance.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
Actually sat in the Velar at the car show on Tuesday this week. Really not a fan of the interior, despite the high praise it gets and I assume it drives in the same, very comfortable way. Just too cushy and "livingroomish" for me. Also don't love the new styling on the 'rear of the '19 Cayenne. I love my Cayenne and the brand, but those Durango rear lights are deal breakers for me. Some how they look fine on the sports cars, but very blah on the Cayenne. Test drove the BMW X3 M40i today. Extremely pleasantly surprised with it. Really a blast to drive and solid and tight all the may around. Very impressed.
The Velar actually drives very sportily. Pfaff also has two BMW dealerships, one in Mississauga and one in Markham. The BMW dealer in Vaughan is owned by the Ferrari dealer.

Quick Reply: Any Macan Owners Have "size regret"?