Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Any Macan Owners Have "size regret"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I'm not small and after owning an 04CTT and a 14 CGTS getting in and out of the Macan is a bit more difficult. Once inside I am fine but I never sit in the back. I do miss some of the storage space of the cayenne and at times need to take the pickup where the Cayenne was an easier fit. Although I am not looking back the Macan GTS is a great ride and quite enjoyable.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I'm not small and after owning an 04CTT and a 14 CGTS getting in and out of the Macan is a bit more difficult. Once inside I am fine but I never sit in the back. I do miss some of the storage space of the cayenne and at times need to take the pickup where the Cayenne was an easier fit. Although I am not looking back the Macan GTS is a great ride and quite enjoyable.
I hear ya on the storage issue. I ended up buying this bag: https://www.lowes.com/pd/AWP-Polyest...l-Bag/50175647 It sits behind the rear seats and holds, ratchet straps, tools, tape measure, Cliff Bars and a whole bunch of other things I can't recall.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:47 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use this in back area. WeatherTech mat and cargo blocks. Well can't upload the picture...
Old 02-26-2018, 12:26 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

Had a macan s for two years. Loved it but it was too small with a rear facing child seat in the rear and slightly less so when the seat was turned around. The front seat would have to be pushed almost all the way forward for the bambino making the front seat basically useless.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:48 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 169 Posts

Wife has a '15 X3. The little 4 banger has some scoot btw. She is not a car person so for her the 6 cyl didn't make sense. If your kids are off to college and you are not really doing school runs or driving them to the ice arena along with two other friends, a smaller suv is fine. Just make sure you check the box for the tow hitch. If you need more space you can opt for one of those hitch mounted trays or a uhaul enclosed trailer in a pinch. If you really need to haul a ton you can rent a sprinter van, or the home depot/lowes truck.

I guess think about how many times a year you need more space then a macan or x3 can provide. Sounds like the kids are old enough they can drive on their own so figure it for seating for 2 instead of 2+. If the smaller suv size makes the cut for 90+% of your needs that last 10% can be filled with something attached to the hitch or a rental vehicle that is size appropriate to your scenario. You have to think about it a little more or be a little more strategic but that's half the fun.

Consider a CPO too, let someone else take the first hit. Also if you do have regret then its a lot cheaper to exit. It was fun trying to find a CPO X3 with the M-sport package, very few people checked that box in the US. The M sport from that era gave you the nicer seats, the thicker steering wheel some nicer wheels and fully painted body work instead of some unpainted plastic cladding.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:11 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

As always it's always about the compromise. I went from a Yukon to a Macan. I really got tired, and maybe even a little dangerous, about having to totally adjust my driving style when coming getting out of my 911 Turbo or F430 and into the lumbering Yukon. No changes required for the Macan. Sure it has less room than the Yukon but realistically it does 99% of what I needed from the Yukon.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:45 AM
bcbeak
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne to Macan

Traded my 2009 Cayenne for a 2017 Macan and could not be happier .... the big boat feeling of the Cayenne
has been replaced with a sports-car feel SVU that can also haul my gear. I play in a band and carry multiple
instruments and amplifiers and the Macan is plenty big enough with the seats down. The opening is slightly
smaller so it takes a little angle work when loading.

I did learn my lesson with the Cayenne though ... when putting heavy gear in the back with the seats folded,
all the plastic got terribly scratched and the stitching ripped on the backs of the rear folded seats. To prevent
this in the Macan, I purchases a heavy rubber entry mat at Home Depot and cut it to fit the rear area and cover
the back of the folded seats. Seems to be working well so far.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:06 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did a 200 mile trip up thru Napa with 4 adults in the car. My friend who is a fairly big guy over 6' and 250 lbs commented on how comfortable the ride was. He has an ML Benz. He also said he understands why critics rave about the sports car feel of the Macan. Our wives in the back were fine. I also have a child seat in the back quite a bit. Never had any issues with it fitting or disturbing the front passenger.

Jesus, Napa is getting to be a no fun zone. It's expensive to taste, but that's not the issue. They want you to make a reservation. You can't drive through the valley and stop in where you want anymore. Oh we're sorry....no openings until Monday.

Screw them, I'll do my wine tasting up into the foothills
Old 03-01-2018, 08:13 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I find the cargo size very limited, the rake of the rear window makes it difficult to get more than one big suitcase in. When dropping off and picking up folks from the airport I usually go alone so I can put part of the rear seat down. In a (literal) squeeze you can cram two people in the back with one seat down.
I also have a roof box which I used to great effect last year when my son got married, couldn't have done without it, so consider the roof rails unless the look doesn't agree with you.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:34 AM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Factory box? If so, which size. Getting ready to buy one to go with factory rails and transport system. Can't seem to find anyone that owns the Porsche brand yet. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 AM
machschnell_RS
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by USGooner
Factory box? If so, which size. Getting ready to buy one to go with factory rails and transport system. Can't seem to find anyone that owns the Porsche brand yet. Thanks.
Thule I think. Have a look at their Hyper XL box.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

No, that was too thin for me but very nice looking. I think mine is the Thule Pulse Force M.

Last edited by _RS_; 03-07-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:02 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

A pic I found, not super helpful for size but also to show how handy a canoe rack is to store it.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Had 2 955's a 2004 and 2006. The Macan is definitely smaller from rear passenger legroom and rear trunk space. But it's perfect for our needs. Mike
Old 03-07-2018, 07:21 PM
K7baico
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes but it has nothing to do with the Macan.

Quick Reply: Any Macan Owners Have "size regret"?