Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Too Front plate , or not?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Too Front plate , or not?

Here in the blue state of Mn, front plates are required. Have not had mine on for a year now pulled over twice, but no tickets... Wondering if anyone has installed the Auto front plate hider?

My only issue is, does it hold up in winter with ice build up etc.... Any one installed one yet?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

We're required to have them on the front here in Maryland, but I don't run front plates on any of my cars. Was pulled over twice in the Miata for not having a front plate but was given a warning each time. That was about ten years ago.

Those hidden plate things look trick, but I'm guessing it's just another thing that's going to fail after a year or so. Also, with the way the Macan's front bumper underside is molded, I would think you'd see the plate and mechanism even when "hidden."
Old 02-21-2018, 08:34 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
We're required to have them on the front here in Maryland, but I don't run front plates on any of my cars. Was pulled over twice in the Miata for not having a front plate but was given a warning each time. That was about ten years ago.

Those hidden plate things look trick, but I'm guessing it's just another thing that's going to fail after a year or so. Also, with the way the Macan's front bumper underside is molded, I would think you'd see the plate and mechanism even when "hidden."
in Ca and don't have front plates on any of my cars (required). I occasionally get a ticket if I drive to LA and park on the street. I jut pay the ticket rather than f up the front of the car.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

At great reluctance, I ordered the Rennline tow hook mount. I just can't worry about getting pulled over for it. I had the quick release US Millworks for my GTI and still do for our RS5 and it's awesome but they don't have one for the Macan and won't respond to my multiple emails.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

I got a ticket for no front plate back in November, so I bought a cheap-o kit off ebay for $20. And it works, it fits, it screws into the hole for the tow hook and doesn't rub the paint or anything. The instructions weren't great but after you start putting it together it all makes sense.

Turns out it was a waste though. In Texas, it's a "fix-it" ticket -- prove you've corrected the defect before your first court appearance and the fine is $10 and the law doesn't allow court costs to be tacked on. Courts hate these kinds of tickets because they take up time and don't make any money. I showed up for my court date, plate attached and photos to prove it, to find out the ticket had already been dismissed by the prosecutor without doing anything myself. The clerk even volunteered that the cop shouldn't have written the ticket in the first place and had been instructed not to. Everyone was annoyed at the cop (which was due -- he wrote the ticket just to be an *** but that's another story).

So, long story short, I don't put the front plate on my car. I don't like the look of it, but it's also my "throw-away ticket" for when a cop pulls me over but knows he can't prove anything but doesn't want me to "get away scott free". Dealing with it is cheap, doesn't cost much and doesn't put points on my license because it's not a moving violation.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:22 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

No officer I didn’t know a front plate is required in Kalifornia. Do you think with all the taxes I pay this state you would allow me one vice? Thought so, I sign where?

Yes I have no front plate. Was stopped once 18 years ago, paid $25 fine. I have no front plates on all my vehicles.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:30 AM
Cay911
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Since I’ve owned my 991 TT Cab (August 2017) I’ve been stopped twice with in two days on the same weekend for no front plate. I said that I was waiting for a plate bracket and the Cop said: “ You guys always say that....”. I did not get a ticket either time just a verbal warning to “put it on!” I live in NH and the fine for no front plate is an outrageous $200.00!

I have not put a plate on yet and I am currently enjoying driving the car in Florida for the Winter where there is no front plate requirements.

When I get back to NH I intend to continue to push my luck....

This is what confuses me. One of the stops was on a “Twisty” country road with barely a shoulder to pull over on......the Cop risked his life to pull me over as he stood in the road on my drivers side as cars came a around a blind corner.

The second time I was stopped was by a State Cop on a busy highway with cars zipping by at 65 mph +. Traffic stops are suppose to be one of the most dangerous things a cop has to do.......Why would they risk their life and the sorrow of their family left behind for a missing front plate?????

Old 02-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Cay911
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry for the spaces in the above post........am I the only one having issues posting? I am using an iPad Pro?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

^^Your thoughts are exactly what i was thinking.... reliability, and still see it. Been stopped twice, "get it on" was all they said after i told them bracket was broke i guess ill just cringed a bit when i see them coming towards me...
Old 02-22-2018, 09:00 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
No officer I didn’t know a front plate is required in Kalifornia. Do you think with all the taxes I pay this state you would allow me one vice? Thought so, I sign where?

Yes I have no front plate. Was stopped once 18 years ago, paid $25 fine. I have no front plates on all my vehicles.
I live in OC and use my Cayenne GTS as a dd. Never ever got a front plate ticket in OC and this is my 3rd Cayenne. Go to LA for dinner and park on the street almost always a ticket $43-48..can't remember.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:29 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 02m2
I live in OC and use my Cayenne GTS as a dd. Never ever got a front plate ticket in OC and this is my 3rd Cayenne. Go to LA for dinner and park on the street almost always a ticket $43-48..can't remember.
When I park at LAX (not the 911), I put a plate on the dash and that seems to be OK. Always see the meter maids checking for front plates every time I go....as in tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:41 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Previous owner of my 911 received three tickets for no front plate. I seem to remember them being close to 2oo dollars each.
I attached one for my tenure. I not that vain, or rich enough to fight it.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:41 PM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In Colorado we have the "silly" front plate law.

I don't run it on the Macan and I don't run it on the 996TT.....

If I get pulled over for something will see if I change my mind.....DEFINITELY NOT!

Take my chances!
Old 03-11-2018, 01:45 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I have been there and it just isn't practical to fight the law. I dragged that front plate for ten years on my Ferrari. When I got the Porsche I had it installed like the law requires. I figure a little vanity wasn't worth ticking the police off. When they stop me I already have enough to explain.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:10 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
I have been there and it just isn't practical to fight the law. I dragged that front plate for ten years on my Ferrari. When I got the Porsche I had it installed like the law requires. I figure a little vanity wasn't worth ticking the police off. When they stop me I already have enough to explain.
Same thoughts here. It's time I don't want to spend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too Front plate , or not?