Macan 2014-Current

Purchase negotiations

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 PM
M. Essaie
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Purchase negotiations

I pretty much have the vehicle configured how I want it on the Porsche website which of course produces a price down to the last penny. If I now march into the dealership with my build code and a chequebook, is that price open to negotiation or incentives or do they stamp their tiny little jack-booted foot? Can one play one dealership against another for price reductions?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Essaie
I pretty much have the vehicle configured how I want it on the Porsche website which of course produces a price down to the last penny. If I now march into the dealership with my build code and a chequebook, is that price open to negotiation or incentives or do they stamp their tiny little jack-booted foot? Can one play one dealership against another for price reductions?
Be an adult, build a relationship and tell them the price you want to pay. You will need them for service and parts but obviously you can’t see the forest for the trees. Why be childish and waste people’s time when they are just doing their job? Grow up or stick with other brands is my 2 cents.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:26 PM
M. Essaie
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

meds
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist, home of the know-it-all anonymous bullies. I got a similar kick in the teeth when I posted my first question, as if everyone was born knowing the answer.

Really, isn't there a better response to his sincere question?

Depending upon where you live, there may be a handful of possible dealers (i.e., in the greater NYC area, there must be close to a dozen viable dealers). Once you've identified your pool, assuming no particular reason to try any one, reach out to the GM or GSM by phone or email and let them know what you want, and that you are shopping for a great (long-term) dealer relationship. And then see how they respond. Chances are, you'll find one or more dealers who really want your business and that's where you should go. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Take them your build and price and ask. You always get a better deal with in the lot stuff. But iirc they can change a build order on one of their quota.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM
SDGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get a great price. You do have to play the game however. If you just walk into your local dealer you might be told that $500 off MSRP is all that they can do. Go to MacanForums and read some posts which name the names of specific salespeople such as at Perimeter Porsche in Atlanta.

It turns out that many people report getting up to 10% off MSRP for a lot car and 8% for an order. Your local dealer may or may not want to come close to the best offer you have in hand. Mine couldn't match but did do 7% off an ordered car which I went with. Good luck!!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Send your configuration with the low end offer you want to pay to various dealers and see who bites and compare counter offers just like with any other car. Make your own counter offers based on who you prefer to buy from. Weigh distance and attitudes as well. Yes, Atlanta is known for giving the lowest prices of ~8% off for orders but don't forget about transport costs/costs to go get it and the distance of them from you. There's a decent chance you will need to go back to the dealer with questions/issues. I personally think there is some value in buying from a dealership that is semi-local so you can go back to them easier for support. I only have two dealers in my area. One said full MSRP and the other said 4.5% off on an order after a little email negotiation so I went with 4.5% off. Don't believe anyone who says these are non-negotiable.

Oh, and cash isn't necessarily king in this world anymore. Dealerships make money selling financing as well even if it's just for 24 months. Mine was willing to match my credit union rate of 2.3% for 60 months. I made a $3,500 deposit with a credit card over email to place the order which they have to refund me because they couldn't take credit card as down payment so I signed and drove away with zero down. Your credit score is king.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:58 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two more items. Not sure where the OP is located but if you are on one of the coasts, you can now do Porsche Experience delivery in LA or Atlanta. It does not matter which dealer you order from - so it opens up a lot if options if your local dealer won't be reasonable.

Also, order slots for the 2019 may start as early as April if you are not in a big hurry. The 2019 will reportedly undergo some mild revisions including some new Audi derived engines. Not sure if this is a positive yet so I was content to order a 2018 GTS which is on a ship and due Feb 23rd.

Quick Reply: Purchase negotiations