Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan Turbo tire recommendation

Old 12-15-2017, 08:41 AM
wdt
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macan Turbo tire recommendation

I am replacing Continentals after 14k miles on 2016 Macan Turbo. I have always gone to PZero automatically and am considering Michelin Sport 4s, any other suggestions before I leap?
Old 12-15-2017, 09:14 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Years ago, when I was driving an M5, a tire guy told me Michelins were the only tires his shop mounted
that occasionally would require no weights to balance. He said they had that experience no other manufacturer.

Is there a better tire made than Michelin?

I've used Bridgestone tires as well (both high/ultra high performance and snow) and have had good experience with them too.

The Contis on my MT were still going strong at 18K miles, although I'm on cold weather Michelins at the moment....
Old 12-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to tire rack and look up tires by model. They are a great source of information and I have found them to be extremely accurate in their assessment.

One issue I have found is that depending on your wheel size, there is always limited tires to pick from. Tire rack makes this work easier; however I usually then order from where I have them changed so they get the extra $.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:58 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Mine came with Contis but eventually I replaced them all with Michelins since I've had such good like with them on my other cars. But I agree -- check out Tire Rack there's a lot of good info there.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:20 PM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like there is no Michelin all season 21". Is PZero is best choice, if you live in the midwest, and don't want to deal with two sets of wheels?
Looking for the best ride.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Sloopy
Pro

You might want to compare the Pirelli all season to the winters on tire rack. I put a set on my A8 and liked them even in the summer and are other worldly in the snow. Also have set now on the Range Rover which rarely sees snow but like them better then the all weather and wear seems to be quite good.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Read this. It's what I found out when I put on Pirelli winters.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-track-tested/
Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 PM
TeaSea
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by red67vert
Looks like there is no Michelin all season 21". Is PZero is best choice, if you live in the midwest, and don't want to deal with two sets of wheels?
Looking for the best ride.
I just bought a 2016 Macan S with 21" wheels and summer tires. I am trying to decide whether to go with the all-season tires or purchase a set of winter wheels and tires to swap out twice a year. I live in NYC area.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I burned through two sets of Bridgestone run flats on my X5.
Now running Continental dsw. They have already lasted twice as long as the bridgestones.
Ride is much better.
No mention of location on your inquiry.
TeaSea - All season/aka No seasons, suck in the snow.
O/P - if your in cold area? Or snow, get a snow tire. and get another rim with summer tires.
Your burning through tires all the time. Run two sets. Great summer tires. Great winter tires.
My wife has more than one purse. I'm sure some of them cost more than a "G" ?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:58 PM
TeaSea
3rd Gear

that Road and Track article sold me on a second set of wheels and winter tires...I guess I will buy 18" inch rims with snow tires.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 PM
Fast_Eddie Aus
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted this advice on another forum and repeat here to help others with tyre selection.
Porsche is different from most other OEMs in the extent to which they consider the tyre as art of the overall tyre/vehicle system. This of course makes sense from an engineering standpoint, but it is a cost that most OEMs will not undertake.
In Porsche's case I suspect that this is probably a result of having such a strong background in rear engine vehicles and their associated inherent handling characteristics (rear weight bias, high polar moment of inertia, etc) that can lead to on the limit difficulties for untrained drivers - the tyres can help in the overall management of such issues. (For the record these characteristics are not all undesirable - but in experienced hands I suggest).
However it is not just about "turn in" and other handling characteristics, although finding out you have an issue when you make a sudden swerve to avoid an accident for example is not really the time to learn, as witnessed by MacWhte.
It is also, for example, about noise in the vehicle. One example of that I have experienced in Macan is on road surfaces with a large aggregate in the bitumen - this can lead to quite unbearable resonances in the vehicle - and in that particular case the Macan was quite undriveable as a result. Because this particular effect is not a tyre thing, but rather a tyre/vehicle interaction issue, there is no way of knowing before trying the tyres on that road surface. There may be no issue on one vehicle (even another Porsche model) but a major one on another.
Tyre testing is a very complex issue and testing is very time and resource intensive - as a result it leaves the consumer (and tyre dealers) with few good sources of independent information.
The tyre dealer is assumed by most consumers to have such knowledge and they feel they should, so will give an answer to most queries to get a sale and/or to try and help, but they only know from customer feedback (not reliable as not trained testers) or the tyre manufacturers (the main brands such a Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Dunlop, etc will generally know but they are hardly independent and do not provide info that does not show their product in the best light....of course!).
So where do you go? These forums and others are full of tyre advice and perceptions, but again from people genuinely trying to help but with no real knowledge, as they do not have the resources, knowledge or ability to undertake the required testing - regardless of how strongly they may present their views.
I have done these things at a very high level in numerous countries, trained many test drivers and tested with too many vehicles and tyre brands and types to mention and with most global OEMs. I have also actually designed tyres........and yet I cannot tell you with certainty what tyres will work on a Macan (or any car) trouble free without putting them on and actually testing under controlled conditions.
Just for the record, I have no association with Porsche or with any of the homologated tyre brands. Similarly Porsche makes no $ out of tyre recommendations per se (the Porsche dealer will though of course), its interest is making sure that Porsche customers have a great experience........so you buy another one!
So my advice is that unless you love to gamble, don't waste your time and $ - just get the best deal you can on a Porsche Macan homologated tyre and get out and enjoy a great car safe in the knowledge that it is not going to bite you when you most need it.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Very Interesting.

I know Porsche puts a lot of thought into their N rated tires however I have never liked any tire that came on my new Porsche. Mostly Pirelli Pzeros and Dunlops. I will never buy either again. The Pzeros on my cayenne GTS and Boxster 981 GTS along with the Dunlops on my cayenne Turbo were awful in just about every way I can think of. Although these are low profile tires and it is amplified.

I am not a fan of a tire with such a stiff sidewall and they will bind when turned in tight places when trying to maneuver. The ride is harsh and I found them to be a bit noisy. I don't believe on being cheap when it comes to tires so price is not a factor unless we start talking over $350 a tire and how often I drive that car. The 295 MPS2's on my turbo gave way to 285's when they started approaching $500 a tire.

I switched to the continental DSW's for my cayennes and they were a huge improvement overall. Quieter, did not bind and a much more comfortable ride. I also found them to be slightly better in the wet and more than adequate in the dry. A perfect compromise and do fine in snowy conditions. I made the mistake of replacing the Pzeros on my BGTS. The first set was dead after only 8k miles and the second set heat cycled out at only 4k with maybe 400 of that being track miles. I will be replacing them with Michelin PSC2's in the spring and I have been using MPS2's and MPSS's on all my other cars and they have performed admirably. Quiet, good in all conditions and wear is not bad. I usually heat cycle or age out tires before they are worn out.

Tires are a personal preference. What I prefer might not be to others liking and wheel alignment can make a huge difference as well.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 AM
wdt
7th Gear

Originally Posted by wdt
I am replacing Continentals after 14k miles on 2016 Macan Turbo. I have always gone to PZero automatically and am considering Michelin Sport 4s, any other suggestions before I leap?
FYI for fellow enthusiasts. I put Michelin Sport S4 on the Macan Turbo. I don't think these 21" were available when I first started shopping. Same size replacing the Contis. Very happy with results, sticky, quiet, look good.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Tim Cooper
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie Aus
I posted this advice on another forum and repeat here to help others with tyre selection.!
So my advice is that unless you love to gamble, don't waste your time and $ - just get the best deal you can on a Porsche Macan homologated tyre and get out and enjoy a great car safe in the knowledge that it is not going to bite you when you most need it.
Hope this helps.
Hi Eddie,

That's interesting, i haven't gone far enough in the Macan to need new tyres yet but have occasionally departed from P Zeros on the 928 and ended up counting the days until i could return to them.

Only exception was Yokohama 008Ps which were lovely and sticky, and quiet, but it became a real hassle to be changing tyres every 4k miles. (not a track car)

Tim
Old 02-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I second the comments on Pirelli P Zero being particularly loud and harsh. It is a tire that is, really, rather mediocre. It doesn't do anything well and is not totally miserable either. If I had to chose for a Macan I'd probably suck it up ($$$) and put on Michelin Pilot Sports - they are a fine tire and have not given me any reason to complain on any other car I've used them on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Macan Turbo tire recommendation