Macan 2014-Current

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:30 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Brake pads

Last week I got the brake wear limit warning on the dash of the Macan. So assuming it was the front brakes that wear first, yesterday I did a front brake pad job, then for good measure did a full brake bleed all around. Both jobs very easy on the Macan, BTW. Unfortunately, still get the dash warning, so now of course I'm resigned to doing the rear brakes - I was hoping to avoid that. A few questions:

1) Is the brake wear warning something that needs to be reset? Yes, I replaced the wear indicators.

2) I've been reading that the rear brakes are pretty much impossible for DIY since the electric parking brake needs to be recalibrated using a special tool (of course). Is this true?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:07 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Were your front brake pad wear indicators worn through? If so, they set off the warning light. Before going to the trouble of doing the rears, get an inspection mirror and a flashlight and take a look at your rear pads to see how far down they've worn. You may not need to do them. If they do need replacing, go here and do a search for how to retract the parking brake: http://www.macanforum.com/. As for your warning light, I believe it will have to be reset with an appropriate factory or aftermarket instrument.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:30 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I slide my phone on video with light on for brake inspection.
Rather that mirror and flashlight.
Don't send your fancy phone in there with 400 degree brakes and rotors.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:23 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Uh - the friction material looks pretty close to the backing plate...

It appears you may have ~1/8" remaining. It's likely the wear sensor has already been worn through.

How many miles on your Macan?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:53 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

The phone pic is a good idea but don't forget the inner pads. Inners and outers don't necessarily wear at the same rate. I think the above pic doesn't show that the backing plate is slightly thicker on the ends and that there's more "meat" on the pad than the pic would imply. Also, keep in mind that the rear pads wear slower than the fronts.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:42 AM
CayenneTTS
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

ANybody have any luck upgrading brake pads?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneTTS
ANybody have any luck upgrading brake pads?
+1. The dust is insane. Just backing out of the driveway creates a Pig Pen level of dust cloud.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

You went and bought parts and replaced your brakes without looking at the rear sensors? LOL
Old 12-12-2017, 11:54 AM
CayenneTTS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+1. The dust is insane. Just backing out of the driveway creates a Pig Pen level of dust cloud.

Plus on my cat delete and tuned turbo the brakes are just not sufficient, it is comparable to my LX570 work truck/winter beater
Old 12-12-2017, 12:30 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
The phone pic is a good idea but don't forget the inner pads. Inners and outers don't necessarily wear at the same rate. I think the above pic doesn't show that the backing plate is slightly thicker on the ends and that there's more "meat" on the pad than the pic would imply. Also, keep in mind that the rear pads wear slower than the fronts.
NC - totally correct on that call. Outside pad is easy to inspect. Inside pad is more difficult, and often does not have similar wear.
Thus, on my STi with BREMBO's. Outside was fine by wear bar, inside was down to the rivets and backing plate. Happily handed over the cash to my mechanic for the work rendered.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:57 PM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve searched for I’ve searched for other brake pads as I love the car, but find the brakes on our S inconsistent and a bit grabby. Dust sucks as well....
Old 12-30-2017, 08:00 PM
CayenneTTS
Advanced

Originally Posted by boatracer
I’ve searched for I’ve searched for other brake pads as I love the car, but find the brakes on our S inconsistent and a bit grabby. Dust sucks as well....

i can live with dust I have dark wheels to combat that (a little) I just want the car to be able to stop. Only real
option I've seen so far is to go for a BBK but that's more then I want to spend on something that shouldn't be such an issue in the first place.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:03 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

You can do the rears without any special tools. Just have to reset the electric parking brake. You can do it with a PIWIS or you can just do it by hand. I did it by hand and it worked fine. No errors or warnings and parking brake works fine.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:11 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have about 300 miles on my Macan and I'm putting ceramic pads on it either this weekend or next. I have them on my 997 and C300 and the dust factor is night and day. My two previous 993's were tracked so I'm sensitive to how the brakes feel and I don't notice a difference with ceramics. I did the swap on the Mercedes after a 100 or so miles so no need to mess with the rotors - dealer though I was crazy but they don't have to clean my cars.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:16 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
I have about 300 miles on my Macan and I'm putting ceramic pads on it either this weekend or next. I have them on my 997 and C300 and the dust factor is night and day. My two previous 993's were tracked so I'm sensitive to how the brakes feel and I don't notice a difference with ceramics. I did the swap on the Mercedes after a 100 or so miles so no need to mess with the rotors - dealer though I was crazy but they don't have to clean my cars.
What pads are you going to use? The dust on the stock pads is ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Brake pads