Macan 2014-Current

'18 Macan GTS first 1000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:17 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I am so tempted to trade my Cayenne GTS for a Macan GTS. The two things holding me back are the insane V8sound I’d miss, and the reduced cargo space. Everything else is so much better with the Macan.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Cooper
They're great cars, just can't believe how light it feels.

The 18 way seats are very supportive and easy to set for two completely different shaped people.

Only thing missing is the beautiful sound of a V8.

Quite the color. My wife would have loved to order something similar but we are happy with the silver.

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I am so tempted to trade my Cayenne GTS for a Macan GTS. The two things holding me back are the insane V8sound I’d miss, and the reduced cargo space. Everything else is so much better with the Macan.
I agree the V8 in our 14 CGTS was amazing sounding and the added space will be missed but despite that the Macan GTS is quicker ride is superior and much more fun to drive and sound is not so bad considering.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

Regarding adding the Sports + button after delivery: 1) All Macan's have a clock on the dash, so you're stuck with the "wort" regardless. 2) I did it on a 987.2 PDK, but the main reason was to get the Sports button, not the Sports + button, which was standard on later cars (and all Macans) - no buttons meant the car was always in ECON mode. 3) I never used the Sports + button, nor launch control - I'm a fan of "de-rating" my drivetrains for longevity's sake.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adk46
Regarding adding the Sports + button after delivery: 1) All Macan's have a clock on the dash, so you're stuck with the "wort" regardless. 2) I did it on a 987.2 PDK, but the main reason was to get the Sports button, not the Sports + button, which was standard on later cars (and all Macans) - no buttons meant the car was always in ECON mode. 3) I never used the Sports + button, nor launch control - I'm a fan of "de-rating" my drivetrains for longevity's sake.
Are you sure of this. I test drove a bunch of 17 Macan S's without the clock on the dash and did not have the sport + button.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:08 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
Are you sure of this. I test drove a bunch of 17 Macan S's without the clock on the dash and did not have the sport + button.
My Macan GTS without sport + has the clock on the dash.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

My base has a dash clock, no Sport Chronos ordered. I’m sure of that, but perhaps I’m making an unwarranted assumption.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Formula1Fan
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on the great info in this thread, I inquired about adding the sport chrono to an 18 GTS. The dealer said it could be done for around $1,500 installed. Does that sound about right?
Also will the dealer installed version be as capable as the factory sport chrono? I am especially interested in the tighter handling.
Thanks
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 549 Posts

I think, after putting another 1000kms on my Macan GTS post break-in, that the SPORTS+ is icing in the cake.
No, I will not use it "around town", but it takes the vehicle to another level of performance and increases the fun factor times two.

The Porsche Instructor driver told me that they flog the Macans on a daily basis on the Leipzig track. They are engineered to take the "abuse" of hard driving. Apart from the obvious wear items that will be replaced more frequently, the car's longevity is not affected by driving it within the parameters it was designed to operate.

No, I would not attempt 50 Launch Control orgasms in a row, nor the natural kind, either.

Babying these cars is unnecessary, according to the guy who drives them daily on an FIA-certified track and an off road course engineered to test the absolute edge of the vehicles envelope. Many, if not most, of the Macan sales are in China. Some are rarely driven on paved roads- because there just aren't many of them outside of major cities. Those are the customers the Macan was designed to satisfy, according to him.

I thrashed my brand new Macan GTS on Tuscan gravel and rock roads, 3 Alpine switchback passes, secondary road sweepers, auto bahn and strada... from creeping at 5kph over steep rock paths (to spare the 20" wheels from damage) to hour-long 220kph autobahn blasts. The Air Suspension, PTM, PASM, PTV+ and PDK all work together in harmony like no vehicle I have owned. A real "Swiss Army knife car", for lack of a better term.

All that said, check out the BMW M6M dominating a Macan turbo, a Cayenne turbo S and a Maserati Levante S on the Ring:

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 11-20-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adk46
My base has a dash clock, no Sport Chronos ordered. I’m sure of that, but perhaps I’m making an unwarranted assumption.
There weren't many GTS's to compare. A lot of base, S and turbo's though. One of the first things I noticed when driving the different 17 left overs some did not have the clock but all of the 18's I see in inventory seem to have them. {Porsche configurator shows each model without and when you add sport chrono it the clock appears) but this could be from earlier MY and they never changed it.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:38 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Replies to several of the above posts, unquoted due to the fact that editor UI is broken on iOS 10:

IIRC, there's a compass option that adds a wart to the dash.
Pretty sure Sport Chrono is - on the 95B - 100% software other than the wart and button. On 981/991, SC includes dynamic drivetrain mounts which are, again IIRC, not part of a dealer retrofit.

Love the green.

Interesting to see yet more 928ers adding a 95B to the fleet. Yes, better engine 'subjectives' would be nice. The Audi-DNA'd V6 isn't the smoothest engine ever, but it's far better than most modern DFI engines (that feel and sound like a box of rocks.)

Suspension in "+" mode along with air suspension on low is witchcraft.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:53 AM
1pvr
Racer

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I read on another thread you can add the SC with OEM software and Button for less $ than if you ordered it on a new car.

My 997 GTS MT had it installed by a dealer after manufacture, so it has no dash wart (which I prefer). It is on Sunset Porsche's website, for about $900, plus installation labor.

On a MT 997, it changes the throttle travel (50% down is 100% wide open), so it is a lot more sensitive for heel and toeing, and widens the operating envelope before the PSM (stability management) activates.

On a PDK 997, the above applies, and you also get Launch Control and a more aggressive shift mapping program that changes gear at, or close to, redline. It is about $1300 (plus install labor) for the PDK SC upgrade.

It is available for the Macan on the Sunset Porsche website for $765 (plus 2-3 hours install at a Porsche dealer).
Originally Posted by worf928
Replies to several of the above posts, unquoted due to the fact that editor UI is broken on iOS 10:

IIRC, there's a compass option that adds a wart to the dash.
Pretty sure Sport Chrono is - on the 95B - 100% software other than the wart and button. On 981/991, SC includes dynamic drivetrain mounts which are, again IIRC, not part of a dealer retrofit.

Love the green.

Interesting to see yet more 928ers adding a 95B to the fleet. Yes, better engine 'subjectives' would be nice. The Audi-DNA'd V6 isn't the smoothest engine ever, but it's far better than most modern DFI engines (that feel and sound like a box of rocks.)

Suspension in "+" mode along with air suspension on low is witchcraft.
I’m getting an itch...seems like an easy upgrade. My GTS has everything else related to performance except the +.

Anyone have subsequent electronic or other difficulties after post-build install?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Does the Macan without the Sport chrono come with the suspension stiffness button? When In sport mode the button lights up 1 indicator for the firmer setting and two for the Sport + in the firmest setting. So you should be able to stay in sport or basic setting and select the stiffest suspension setting if you desire. I also run in the lowered setting all the time and the GTS runs slightly lower than the other models.

It would be nice if they would reprogram the diamond button on teh steering wheel so you can toggle from standard to sport and sport + without having your hands leave the steering wheel. I programmed mine to shut the baffles on the exhaust in case I need to seem less conspicuous quickly.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

On longevity: As I see it, most people are not surprised if a drivetrain component needs a replacement or rebuild between 100K and 200K miles. Wear and tear. Use two other mileage numbers if you prefer, A and B.

Now, what determines when your components wear out, nearer to A or to B? Not just one factor, for sure, but how the car is driven is certainly one of them.

Note that reciprocating loads increase by the square of RPM. My "derating" is not babying; it is being conscious of the sharply rising part of the curve, as well as considering off-design situations, like a cold engine, that may not be tested thoroughly (imagine the expense of doing 3650 cold starts). The concept of derating comes from the jet engine business- the manufacturer sells you the same engine, but you pay less because the performance guarantee and warranty service will cost them less.

Those who lease cars need not care, of course. A Porsche driving instructor need not care. Someone buying a used car will care a great deal. "Never tracked" is often mentioned as a selling point in ads for used Porsches.

That said, everyone is free to use their cars as they wish. No matter how you drive them, they don't last forever. Use them up quickly, use them up slowly - both are valid choices.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:10 PM
1pvr
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
Does the Macan without the Sport chrono come with the suspension stiffness button? When In sport mode the button lights up 1 indicator for the firmer setting and two for the Sport + in the firmest setting. So you should be able to stay in sport or basic setting and select the stiffest suspension setting if you desire. I also run in the lowered setting all the time and the GTS runs slightly lower than the other models.

It would be nice if they would reprogram the diamond button on teh steering wheel so you can toggle from standard to sport and sport + without having your hands leave the steering wheel. I programmed mine to shut the baffles on the exhaust in case I need to seem less conspicuous quickly.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 549 Posts

Duplicate post.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 11-22-2017 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

Quick Reply: '18 Macan GTS first 1000 miles