Macan 2014-Current

Is certified necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 07:37 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is certified necessary?

I sold my 997 since I got an Aston Martin Vanquish. I want to continue owning a Porsche so I decided to look for a Macan as my daily driver. There are plenty of used Macans out there that are not certified, but still under warranty with @25-35k miles so they still have 6 plus months or 15-25k miles remaining. I have a friend leaving the country that offered me his 2015 S with 33,000 miles for $41k. It has decent options with infotainment, premium plus....with original sticker of $64k. Also see a Turbo with similar mileage that would be about $10-12k more.
Are there any nagging issues that you wish you would have the certified warranty or are the lower mile examples pretty sound? I do about 15k miles a year with my daily. Similar mile S models would be about 7-10k more with certification.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:24 AM
leopard print
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DougM
I sold my 997 since I got an Aston Martin Vanquish. I want to continue owning a Porsche so I decided to look for a Macan as my daily driver. There are plenty of used Macans out there that are not certified, but still under warranty with @25-35k miles so they still have 6 plus months or 15-25k miles remaining. I have a friend leaving the country that offered me his 2015 S with 33,000 miles for $41k. It has decent options with infotainment, premium plus....with original sticker of $64k. Also see a Turbo with similar mileage that would be about $10-12k more.
Are there any nagging issues that you wish you would have the certified warranty or are the lower mile examples pretty sound? I do about 15k miles a year with my daily. Similar mile S models would be about 7-10k more with certification.
Necessary is a relative term, meaning for some people it is and some it's not. People who buy CPO get it for the additional 2 years of peace of mind on the warranty. The price your friend is offering you sounds low already, so hedging your bet that repairs (if needed) will not exceed the price difference of purchasing another CPO vehicle sounds reasonable. I've been reading up on macanforums.com and haven't seen any complaints of mass nagging issues, but is only a 3 year old car. I know that doesn't help you much, but it's a judgement call. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

Doug, you're a tough man to keep up with when it comes to your stable LOL. I think a Macan Turbo might be our next car as my wife's DD since the kids are getting a bit big now for the back of her 997.

How do you like the AM?
Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 AM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Doug, you're a tough man to keep up with when it comes to your stable LOL. I think a Macan Turbo might be our next car as my wife's DD since the kids are getting a bit big now for the back of her 997.

How do you like the AM?
I will be sad to see the 997 go(awaiting transport) as I was not expecting to be selling it. But my brother offered me the Vanquish at a price I couldn't refuse. No sense in owning 2 sports cars.
The Aston is a head turner and the exhaust note is second to none. I also am enjoying the F1 trans. As long as you drive it like the manual that it is, it is a great set up and the rev matching downshifts make it sound like a race car.
Regarding the Macan, I drove a GTS at the Porsche Experience Center is Atlanta and I was sold. I jst don't want to spend the money that they are fetching right now so I will settle for a used Turbo or S
Old 10-11-2017, 07:03 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 272 Posts

If I read the warranty correctly, it's good for 4 years from in-service date so, depending on the date for a particular vehicle, the CPO may not be as much of a bargain as perceived. Get a good, low-mileage Turbo. HP and torque are addictive. You'll like it almost as much as the A-M.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:45 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Factory warranty is 4 years and 50k miles. Certified adds 2 years and to 100k miles. I plan to go to the dealer and see if I can pay for a certification but tell them I am fine with the tires and brakes. When they certify to sell, the wearable need to be at a minimum standard. Hopefully they will because it would guarantee them any service the car would need. Otherwise I may roll the dice... I have decided that I am more interested in certain colours and options than just any old Macan with the standard options
Old 11-04-2017, 03:16 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I got a CPO GTS, for two reasons

1) the high content compared to my 'intentionally a stripper' '15 S that I got in Stuttgart but chose to let go when downsizing from IT career to partial retirement in 2016

2) the longer warranty, adding 2 years was worth it, especially considering it needed the new transfer case and front axles that are mandated by transfer case replacement

I looked at used S models, but felt 'been there done that' despite them having more content than the S, I couldn't afford a used Turbo, so a CPO GTS with 14k miles with a dealer employee discount was the ticket.

Plus this GTS was built a little 'less GTSified' by it's first owner. silver RS spyder wheels instead of black ( I despise black wheels, they are so overdone, everyone has to have them) ,
chrome window outer trim instead of black, tan leather with mocha leather dash, so I liked it's 'less of a bad boy' looking exterior (white side blades on a white car) and interior (more of a luxury feel)

Re: the dealer employee discount, worked for the same parent company at a Mercedes store next to the Porsche store,and enjoyed stuffing it to the Mercedes ******* GM by buying a CPO Porsche next door instead of a Mercedes from his store (this guy is a flaming ******* and I wouldn't **** on him if her were on fire), and a side caveat....
Mercedes customers are the biggest ******** on the planet, they either think their **** doesn't stink and they are the most special people on the planet, or they just have to have the star on their car and they can't afford to properly maintain it, and in 15 months in a Mercedes parts department, I saw everything that broke and had to be replaced, those cars are NOT worth owning IMHO, Porsche is the best brand, top to bottom)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:59 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Don't hold it back, DB. Let us know how you really feel. FYI, I'm of the same opinion. I'm old but I'm still too young to own a M-B. They are boring vehicles.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:51 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Don't hold it back, DB. Let us know how you really feel. FYI, I'm of the same opinion. I'm old but I'm still too young to own a M-B. They are boring vehicles.
betcha I'm older ;-)
Old 11-05-2017, 06:35 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Betcha you're not! PM sent.

Quick Reply: Is certified necessary?