Thoughts on this Macan

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:19 PM
leopard print
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on this Macan

Hi everyone.

I'm in the market for a used Macan and I was wondering what fellow Rennlisters would think about this particular example in regards to options and price. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.southbaybmw.com/used/Pors...6facca0f8e.htm
Old 09-20-2017, 05:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Lightly optioned turbo. No air suspension, so it has steel springs. The steel spring Macans ride decently, but the air suspension is so much better. Steel will be simpler in the long run. Park assist is super nice and a must have. Premium plus has ventilated seats and other cool features. RS Spyder wheels are desirable and expensive to buy later.

I was looking at '15 and then '16 Macans and decided I had to have Apple CarPlay via Connect/Connect Plus. Very happy I didn't compromise on that option. Not super thrilled with the factory nav, although I've only tried to use it once. Apple Maps is so much easier to use.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/
Old 09-20-2017, 05:25 PM
leopard print
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Lightly optioned turbo. No air suspension, so it has steel springs. The steel spring Macans ride decently, but the air suspension is so much better. Steel will be simpler in the long run. Park assist is super nice and a must have. Premium plus has ventilated seats and other cool features. RS Spyder wheels are desirable and expensive to buy later.

I was looking at '15 and then '16 Macans and decided I had to have Apple CarPlay via Connect/Connect Plus. Very happy I didn't compromise on that option. Not super thrilled with the factory nav, although I've only tried to use it once. Apple Maps is so much easier to use.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/
Thanks Mark! Really appreciate the feedback. All-in-all, I think it's still a decent buy. The air suspension and Apple CarPlay aren't very high on my priority list. I mostly use Google Maps from my phone anyways.
I'm probably going to swing over to the dealership this weekend to take a look and try to get them to knock off a few $k considering it's been on their lot for about 40 days. If they do, I might be driving it home...
Old 09-20-2017, 06:13 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts
Default not CPO... ?

One item that would be major for me is this Macan is not a Porsche CPO vehicle and misses out on the 6 year/100K mile warranty. You'd be buying it from a BMW dealer.

It's great that it has such low mileage.

You may want to think long & hard about which options you REALLY want to have and which ones you can live without.

I looked for over a year to make my selection. I started out with only 3 or 4 options that were must-haves for me. Over a couple of months I realized that if I was spending the kind of money that would be required, my must-have list grew. Then it became a choice of interior/exterior colors and pricing. I found a few examples I wanted, however I could not have lived with the interior color - or the price was too high - or by the time I moved on the vehicle, it was already sold.

In the end, I found a dealership that I'd skipped over for a few months because they never seemed to have Macan inventory. I happened to check them one day and BINGO - there it was - all the options I wanted, colors I could live with and a price I was willing to pay (and negotiate from).

In the end, I was glad I waited. I didn't feel as though I had overpaid, and I got a great car with everything I wanted. Every time I drive it is a thrill!!!

Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2017, 09:50 PM
leopard print
Instructor

Originally Posted by PSEE
One item that would be major for me is this Macan is not a Porsche CPO vehicle and misses out on the 6 year/100K mile warranty. You'd be buying it from a BMW dealer.

It's great that it has such low mileage.

You may want to think long & hard about which options you REALLY want to have and which ones you can live without.

I looked for over a year to make my selection. I started out with only 3 or 4 options that were must-haves for me. Over a couple of months I realized that if I was spending the kind of money that would be required, my must-have list grew. Then it became a choice of interior/exterior colors and pricing. I found a few examples I wanted, however I could not have lived with the interior color - or the price was too high - or by the time I moved on the vehicle, it was already sold.

In the end, I found a dealership that I'd skipped over for a few months because they never seemed to have Macan inventory. I happened to check them one day and BINGO - there it was - all the options I wanted, colors I could live with and a price I was willing to pay (and negotiate from).

In the end, I was glad I waited. I didn't feel as though I had overpaid, and I got a great car with everything I wanted. Every time I drive it is a thrill!!!

Great advice. Premium plus and park assist are the only options I require. As for warranty, I wouldn't mind having a third party as opposed to CPO.

The dealership called me earlier and informed me the car was sold. So the hunt continues..
Old 09-20-2017, 10:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Check out Blue Grass Porsche in Lexington, KY; they have some decent Macans for sale. When I bought my GTS, they had at least two other GTS's to choose from.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:53 AM
leopard print
Instructor

Check out Blue Grass Porsche in Lexington, KY; they have some decent Macans for sale. When I bought my GTS, they had at least two other GTS's to choose from.
I'm on the west coast so logistically that would be a problem. I'm in no rush to get one. I'll wait until the right one pops up locally. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:15 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't be shy about expanding your search nationally. I have often looked at cars for fellow Rennlisters and I'm sure others would as well. Good luck with the search.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leopard print
I'm on the west coast so logistically that would be a problem. I'm in no rush to get one. I'll wait until the right one pops up locally. Thanks for the tip.
Blue Grass apparently obtains a good number of low mileage cars from PCNA. Full Xpel treatment on the hood, front bumper and mirrors.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:37 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Since the Macan from the OP is no longer available, what I was going to write about it is moot.

In general though, are you sure you know what your must-have options are? In particular have you test-sat the various seats between which there are vast differences in subjective comfort?
Old 09-21-2017, 02:07 PM
leopard print
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradB
Don't be shy about expanding your search nationally. I have often looked at cars for fellow Rennlisters and I'm sure others would as well. Good luck with the search.
Blue Grass apparently obtains a good number of low mileage cars from PCNA. Full Xpel treatment on the hood, front bumper and mirrors.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind if I ever get impatient with my search.

Originally Posted by worf928
Since the Macan from the OP is no longer available, what I was going to write about it is moot.

In general though, are you sure you know what your must-have options are? In particular have you test-sat the various seats between which there are vast differences in subjective comfort?
Yes, I am. I test drove a few Ss over the weekend with various options and narrowed down my must haves. I believe the Turbo has different seats than what the S models have available, but I'll figure out if they're for me when I test drive one.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:56 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by leopard print
I believe the Turbo has different seats than what the S models have available, but I'll figure out if they're for me when I test drive one.
There are 4 variations of seats: 8-way, GTS 8-way, 14-way and 18-way. Each offers a noticeably-different experience. Model (e.g. Base, GTS, etc.) determines which seat is standard. 14- and 18-way are available on all four models. 8-way are standard on all except the Turbo on which 14-way is standard.

For me, the only seats I can stand are the optional 18-way. Some folks are the opposite and can't stand the 18-way.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:08 PM
leopard print
Instructor

Originally Posted by worf928
There are 4 variations of seats: 8-way, GTS 8-way, 14-way and 18-way. Each offers a noticeably-different experience. Model (e.g. Base, GTS, etc.) determines which seat is standard. 14- and 18-way are available on all four models. 8-way are standard on all except the Turbo on which 14-way is standard.

For me, the only seats I can stand are the optional 18-way. Some folks are the opposite and can't stand the 18-way.
Gotcha. I sat in the 8 and 14-way on my test drives. Neither of which were an issue for me. Now that you mention the 18-way, I might make it out to a dealership this weekend to check them out. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2017, 05:14 PM
leopard print
Instructor

I have a question that some of you might be able to answer. I called a dealership inquiring about one of their Turbos. One question I asked was if the car was CPO. The sales guy said no, but it wouldn't be an issue to certify the car for another $3,200. He proceeded to say that they didn't certify the car to give the option to the buyer to either choose a CPO or third party (Fidelity) warranty. He said the Fidelity coverage is exactly the same as the CPO and may be cheaper and has a longer coverage period. Is there any truth to what he's saying?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I would feel more comfortable with a PCNA CPO warranty than a Fidelity one, but I hear Fidelity isn't terrible.

Also, there are minimum accident standards. Someone else here will know if any collision damage is allowed, but I was told that repainted bumpers don't count against a CPO.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this Macan