Macan 2014-Current

A week with a base macan

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Default A week with a base macan

I've always like the look of these. BUddies have the turbos, they fast and nice.

My cayenne is in the shop and i have a macan base loaner. Basic options. 53k MSRP I think?

Thoughts: drives OK, steering feels a little numb, turn in is lazy, but feels solid, needs power big time, i want to drive around with sport on all the time, turbo lag, PDK is a good trans, interior feels cheap for the price point, decent rear trunk space, rear seat space tight, quiet, gets worse mileage than my cayenne diesel and feels slower. Newer PCM with the Apple Play is pretty good and standard radio sounds decent.

If i buy one of these for the wife It'll have to be a full leather spec'd S or higher for sure.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:13 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

I just got a base to daily (997 C4S here for weekends) and I love it. Sure, it's no ball of fire, but I managed 30 mpg while crusing on the freeway, and once it's in sport, it handles the twisties quite well! I have the pre+ package so enough goodies to keep me happy and the 19's so it doesn't look to mean.

All in all, I really enjoy driving it, and love the driving position too. I have to imagine it drives/handles better than most cars. Considering they start at $48k, I think it's a lotta car for the money.

If I was combining into one car, I'd have gone with the GTS most likely.

The only dislikes are the steering on center is vague (coming from a 997 doesn't help...) and the standard all-season tires are rubbish.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:17 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Big, big, difference between a Base and an S. Much bigger difference to a GTS and even bigger difference to a Turbo. The Base Macan and Macan Turbo drive and feel like they have little in common.

The base Macan is a great machine: had one for a loaner for a couple of days. But, all the subtle differences of the myriad options along with the bigger more-powerful motors combine to make big differences.

For example: the standard seats in the Base Macan make my back, knees, and neck hurt after 20 minutes. The optional 18-way seats in our Macan Turbo are the best seats I've ever had outside of those in our Porsche sports cars.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:48 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Base. Love it. Have 20s and PP+ with NAV and CarPlay. The 2.0 is has great torque and fast enough for me.

I would not care for a Base with no options (Base seats, 18s, etc.).
Old 09-11-2017, 11:49 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Just ordered a GTS for Dec delivery.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:52 AM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I've always like the look of these. BUddies have the turbos, they fast and nice.

My cayenne is in the shop and i have a macan base loaner. Basic options. 53k MSRP I think?

Thoughts: drives OK, steering feels a little numb, turn in is lazy, but feels solid, needs power big time, i want to drive around with sport on all the time, turbo lag, PDK is a good trans, interior feels cheap for the price point, decent rear trunk space, rear seat space tight, quiet, gets worse mileage than my cayenne diesel and feels slower. Newer PCM with the Apple Play is pretty good and standard radio sounds decent.

If i buy one of these for the wife It'll have to be a full leather spec'd S or higher for sure.

I think a comparison like that should at least be at the same price point. Around 65-70K? A diesel Cayenne lines up with a Macan GTS.

I took my Macan GTS in for service and got a diesel Cayenne......
Old 09-12-2017, 09:46 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by El Sapo
I think a comparison like that should at least be at the same price point. Around 65-70K? A diesel Cayenne lines up with a Macan GTS.

I took my Macan GTS in for service and got a diesel Cayenne......
Lucky you. Wish we could get the diesel version of the Macan here. Had the Touareg TDI for over 100k until it was bought back by VW.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:35 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fincher
Lucky you. Wish we could get the diesel version of the Macan here. Had the Touareg TDI for over 100k until it was bought back by VW.

I had a diesel Jetta. Over 40mpg and I drove it 320K with no major repairs. Bullet proof. People kept warning me about the injectors or the glow plugs going out. When the glow plugs did go out...It was a $6 fuse that needed to be replaced.

I drove the diesel F-Pace. Just couldn't get past the reliability questions or the shabby interior on that car.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I placed an order for an 18 Macan GTS November delivery. After 13 years with the CTT and the 14 GTS we are moving on from the Cayanne.

Didn't like the Macan initially but after driving a bunch and having the opportunity to try different options you can change the feel of it depending on options.

I was against the sport seats I had them in my CGTS with alcantara sport seats and they were literally a ball buster. Went with the 18 way sport seats so I can lower the bolsters and you don't climb up into it as much as the CGTS. Also went with full leather. It was worth the $1900 for a car at this price point not sure why it isn't stock but I couldn't live with the standard interior.

Drove an M GTS at the Porsche driving experience. Set up closely to the way I spec'ed mine out. I actually enjoyed it over the 991S, 991GTS, Cayman S 718, panamera 4S. All great cars but the macan is a lot of fun with all the goodies. I can only imagine what the turbo with the power package is like but it is way overkill the GTS is as fast and more capable than my 04CTT.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:49 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
... the turbo with the power package is like but it is way overkill...
On the subject of power and overkill, I rely on Mark:

Originally Posted by Mark Donohue
We’re far from having too much horsepower… my definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear.
When the Macan has the power to weight ratio of the 991 Turbo I'll consider considering whether its overkill
Old 09-13-2017, 11:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
On the subject of power and overkill, I rely on Mark:

When the Macan has the power to weight ratio of the 991 Turbo I'll consider considering whether its overkill
I drove a 1200 hp Supra the other day. Too much power IMO others disagree. Spins the rear wheels in any gear at any speed just nutty. For a DD sometimes all you need is stock power but I have a friend who is getting turbo power out of a GTS safely.

The 991TTS is a monster of a car. It is actually to easy to drive and IMO looses the fun factor unless you are doing 140 which I don't do on the street.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I drove a 1200 hp Supra the other day. Too much power IMO others disagree. Spins the rear wheels in any gear at any speed just nutty.
Then we're all three (you, me, and Mark) in agreement: too much power.

For a DD sometimes all you need is stock power but I have a friend who is getting turbo power out of a GTS safely.
All you *need* is about 7 hp more-or-less with non-comical torque curve. That'll get you to 55 (eventually, depending upon the prevailing wind) and keep you there.

Whatever...

I agree that the Macan GTS has more-than-enough power. Heck, the Base has sufficient around-town power.

The Base is nicely matched to the gearing. It's peppy and quick-feeling.

It's only once you're at highway speeds that the power difference becomes super-obvious.

EDIT: Don't forget you used "overkill" above. 120% power of the GTS isn't overkill. It might be more-than-more-than enough. But, it ain't overkill.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

I picked up a Macan GTS a couple weeks ago. It's a nice daily driver but I wouldn't want much less horsepower (for fun not necessity). I would look hard at an RS3 over a base macan, although I didn't test drive the base.

I'll be upgrading when the Macan RS comes out (with touring pack of course).
Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 PM
CayenneTTS
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not say the car has too much power, i have a turbo with cobb tune currently and the acceleration to 80 is super fast, but above that the car falls off. Not saying i drive it above that often but my other daily is a S65 amg which has trouble putting the power down but on the highway its in its own world.

And whats this news of an RS macan?
Old 09-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsch...-ar177396.html

Quick Reply: A week with a base macan