Macan 2014-Current

A week with a base macan

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:18 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I'm in week 3 of this loaner... (my cayenne diesel had an engine out service, a gasket was seeping oil... common issue on the 2013...)

I'll say I do appreciate the driving dynamics overall. I definitely feel the 4cyl is under powered and laggy, passing at highway speeds requires really getting into the gas, sport button definitely helps with the gas/throttle mapping to make it better, The turn in feel is lazy, but it does corner really well and feels agile. And maybe the thing I actually dislike the most is the braking feel. There is just a lot of pedal action up top and bite is minimal. Wonder if this is just the car I have or consistent across Macans?

Also, for those of you with Base cars are you only getting low 20's around town mileage??? This thing gets worse mileage than my wife 300+ HP M235, less than my 5000 lb Cayenne diesel, and nearly as bad as my 400+ HP GT3!
I agree pretty much with this - I've never driven a Cayenne, but heard the rack is much quicker to turn in than the Macan.

The brakes feel initially like they aren't going to stop it, but I think they're just adjusted not to offer 90% of bite with the first application of braking.

We've a 997 C4S and S3, which are both 'over-braked' by comparison so that doesn't help.

Around town the mileage sucks - I think that's always typical of the smallest motor in the heaviest car, but once she's rolling on the freeway I've seen averages of ~30mpgs.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:33 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

People choose the Base for it's economy, the initial $6300 or for greater MPG or both. The S, GTS and Turbo models are better cars, otherwise. Sounds like you want one of those.

I have other cars to challenge speed limits, so I liked the economy angle. Racing about in an SUV is not my thing, but I do have plenty of curves to negotiate where I live. Nevertheless, my first ticket in 20 years came in the Macan - I think I was going too slow to be concerned, and wasn't paying attention as I do in the other Porsches. The Trooper didn't think 80 in a 65 was slow, however.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:12 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I'm a week into driving a base Macan loaner while my CGTS is in the shop. I have been very impressed with this Macan. I'd have no problem with one of these as a DD. Obviously I give up some power as compared to my CGTS, and lack of engine sound as compared to the rumble of V8 in my Cayenne is a factor, but the nimbleness and handling of this Macan is great. As with any Porsche I've ever driven, it's a lot of fun!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:22 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Economy was a factor for me. I came from a Touareg TDI. I sure loved the S and GTS trims but I did not want to spring for the GTS. Close call between the Base and S for me so I got PP+ and 20s on my Base. Very happy.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:07 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This weekend I got 29+ on a trip up into the foothills. I think it's getting around 25-26 in the city. I'm starting to throw it into turns a little harder. Years of diving SUV's has kind of limited my performance expectations. Haven't found that "limit" with the Macan. With all the talk about the steering I'm surprised no one has mentioned the available steering software upgrade. Anyone do it?

I think I'd describe it as quick and nimble. I've had faster cars, but this one handles the road so much better than the others. It feels stable at speed in all types of road conditions.

Took all the backseat headrests out, makes a big difference in vision, nice if there was a trim piece to fill in all the holes
Old 09-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I pushed the limits this morning in a cloverleaf freeway entrance. The limits are quite high. Not quite as high as my Spyder in the same stretch of road, but very impressive for an SUV. If I didn't need the cargo space of my Cayenne, I'd probably get one of these as my DD. It's really nice.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:09 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I pushed the limits this morning in a cloverleaf freeway entrance. The limits are quite high. Not quite as high as my Spyder in the same stretch of road, but very impressive for an SUV. If I didn't need the cargo space of my Cayenne, I'd probably get one of these as my DD. It's really nice.

Can you get the back tires to break traction in a turn? Drift?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:15 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tires were squeeling and that's as far as I was comfortable pushing on a public road with no runoff. Basically 60 mph in a fairly tight cloverleaf.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:25 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

No wonder I like this "Base Macan" so much. It's an S. LOL

The rear has model delete, and I assumed it was a base since that's how their Cayenne loaners always were. I looked at the paper work in the glovebox today and realized I'd been dealing with 340 hp, not 250.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:45 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
No wonder I like this "Base Macan" so much. It's an S. LOL

The rear has model delete, and I assumed it was a base since that's how their Cayenne loaners always were. I looked at the paper work in the glovebox today and realized I'd been dealing with 340 hp, not 250.
I guess Porsche owners become accustomed to the futility of looking for the engines in modern 911s and Boxsters. But open the hood of a Macan and it's right there! Checking out the elaborate routing of intake air is worth the trip alone, but it's also your duty as a proper car lover.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:25 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adk46
I guess Porsche owners become accustomed to the futility of looking for the engines in modern 911s and Boxsters. But open the hood of a Macan and it's right there! Checking out the elaborate routing of intake air is worth the trip alone, but it's also your duty as a proper car lover.
I opened the rear hatch, but didn't see an engine. I figured it must be hidden like in my Spyder. LOL
Old 09-27-2017, 02:19 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Adk46
You can even pop off the pretty engine cover and see more of the workings! And yeah, the path from the nose of the car to the air filters is a thing of beauty. It's no wonder Porsche is proud of the hood on the Macan.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:57 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I been driving the base loaner for the past day and it feels alright with one person in the vehicle. The rear seats are small like the Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series. Cargo space is deep but probably limited to the sloping rear roofline for extra storage. I can't warm to the electric steering. Feedback with resistance during turns is something I am not used to. Back to center is accentuated which is another weird feeling.

Just like all other 4 cyl cars, I expect performance to suffer greatly when you add cargo and passengers. There is no substitution for additional torque and hp. I imagine the S or TT is a nicer ride.

Tough to pay 60K for this car at the end of the day. I see about 5-10 of these cars on a daily basis. They are making so many of them that deals will be had at much better values soon I would imagine. Now, if they can fix the transfer case issue and put people's minds at ease..
Old 09-28-2017, 01:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I been driving the base loaner for the past day and it feels alright with one person in the vehicle. The rear seats are small like the Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series. Cargo space is deep but probably limited to the sloping rear roofline for extra storage. I can't warm to the electric steering. Feedback with resistance during turns is something I am not used to. Back to center is accentuated which is another weird feeling.

Just like all other 4 cyl cars, I expect performance to suffer greatly when you add cargo and passengers. There is no substitution for additional torque and hp. I imagine the S or TT is a nicer ride.

Tough to pay 60K for this car at the end of the day. I see about 5-10 of these cars on a daily basis. They are making so many of them that deals will be had at much better values soon I would imagine. Now, if they can fix the transfer case issue and put people's minds at ease..
Lots of Base Macan's by me. Lots of the others as well. 90% are white or black though. Although I see Bentley SUV's around me heading into NYC all the time.

I was told by my local dealer that they have to replace all transfer cases with the upgraded version no matter how many miles if they plan to CPO them at the dealers cost. Supposedly the new case will resolve the issues but we will see.

That was part of reasoning for buying a new 18 vs a dealer inventory new 17. Apparently the 18's are receiving the fixed transfer case. Fingers crossed they aren't an issue as well. Just a little over a month and I should know for sure.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:45 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ Yeah the Bently SUV are around here as well. Those will be plentiful as well in a few years.

This transfer case apparently goes into all or most gasoline engine Macans, Cayennes and Pannys for the past 6 years. That is a lot of them to fix and resolve.

Quick Reply: A week with a base macan