Macan 2014-Current

A week with a base macan

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneTTS
I would not say the car has too much power, i have a turbo with cobb tune currently and the acceleration to 80 is super fast, but above that the car falls off. Not saying i drive it above that often but my other daily is a S65 amg which has trouble putting the power down but on the highway its in its own world.

And whats this news of an RS macan?
Sorry, that's just my bad sense of humor after reading all of the angst in the GT thread. But I would love a more hard core Macan. 500hp, pdk-s, pdcc.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Oh no Mark, don't let the GT thread see this. The center locks alone will cause a riot to break out.

I don't need the CLs or the fender vents but how about a trans-axle to better balance the weight. Jag will soon have the F-Pace SVR, Alpha the Stelvio QF, and M-B the GLC63.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 PM
CayenneTTS
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a fake article lol
Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I've always like the look of these. BUddies have the turbos, they fast and nice.

My cayenne is in the shop and i have a macan base loaner. Basic options. 53k MSRP I think?

Thoughts: drives OK, steering feels a little numb, turn in is lazy, but feels solid, needs power big time, i want to drive around with sport on all the time, turbo lag, PDK is a good trans, interior feels cheap for the price point, decent rear trunk space, rear seat space tight, quiet, gets worse mileage than my cayenne diesel and feels slower. Newer PCM with the Apple Play is pretty good and standard radio sounds decent.

If i buy one of these for the wife It'll have to be a full leather spec'd S or higher for sure.
i had one as a loaner so i agree with you 99% ....i disagree 1 % because my wife would not want one ....power wise it is a dawg
Old 09-13-2017, 07:02 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneTTS
That's a fake article lol
And not a very good one.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:11 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well if you bought one of these cars......you do not have my sympathy ....you deserve it ....too much power....ninja pleeezzz
Old 09-13-2017, 07:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

You guys are going to make the Macan roll bar market fall before it even gets started.

Spec racing, too.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always like the look of these. BUddies have the turbos, they fast and nice.

My cayenne is in the shop and i have a macan base loaner. Basic options. 53k MSRP I think?

Thoughts: drives OK, steering feels a little numb, turn in is lazy, but feels solid, needs power big time, i want to drive around with sport on all the time, turbo lag, PDK is a good trans, interior feels cheap for the price point, decent rear trunk space, rear seat space tight, quiet, gets worse mileage than my cayenne diesel and feels slower. Newer PCM with the Apple Play is pretty good and standard radio sounds decent.

If i buy one of these for the wife It'll have to be a full leather spec'd S or higher for sure.
Just as a clarification, are you making those comments based on how your Cayenne drives? I am not sure I agree with some of those comments. It's definitely more nimble than Cayenne and I don't think the turbo lag is that bad. S models and up won't disappoint you in terms of power.

I personally think the interior is better than MB or BMW. I just can't get used to MB interior.

I've driven other Macan models and if I get to choose again, I'd choose GTS.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:49 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

I had a base Macan as a loaner a couple days ago when mine was in for its annual oil service and state safety inspection. I was surprised how good it is. Now, it's not as nice as my Turbo with all its options but still a very nice riding and driving car. I would be happy with one.

But I'm happier with my Turbo.

ETA: I'm glad I opted for the no-cost "smoker's package". That hole in the center console bugged me to no end.

Last edited by cviles; 09-14-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Enilder
Just as a clarification, are you making those comments based on how your Cayenne drives? I am not sure I agree with some of those comments. It's definitely more nimble than Cayenne and I don't think the turbo lag is that bad. S models and up won't disappoint you in terms of power.

I personally think the interior is better than MB or BMW. I just can't get used to MB interior.

I've driven other Macan models and if I get to choose again, I'd choose GTS.

For clarity, i'm talking about a base macan i've been driving for 2 weeks not. Not an S, GTS, or Turbo, not a comparison. And not a comparison to my cayenne.

The interior is definitely not nicer than my wife's M235I (54k msrp). That car has leather door panels and nice stitching, excellent seats, and a dash and controls that feel nicer than the Porsche.And the car has serious *****. it's fast.

As far as nimble, maybe, but, the turn in is lazy compared to the cayenne AND the brake is too soft up top unlike every porsche I have which has great bite up top in the pedal. You really have to get into the pedal.

Originally Posted by Loess
I picked up a Macan GTS a couple weeks ago. It's a nice daily driver but I wouldn't want much less horsepower (for fun not necessity). I would look hard at an RS3 over a base macan, although I didn't test drive the base.
I rode in a buddies new SQ5, and for the price i would absolutely get it over the Macan. ITs faster, way nicer interior, better features, and looks good (not better or worse).

Macan is a good car, but the base has my head scratching 'why bother' other than porsche label. The S, GTS, Turbo I get, those are substantially different cars.

Originally Posted by El Sapo
I think a comparison like that should at least be at the same price point. Around 65-70K? A diesel Cayenne lines up with a Macan GTS. I took my Macan GTS in for service and got a diesel Cayenne......
See above, not a comparison to the cayenne. Your Macan GTS won't tow my track car trailer either... different cars.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I agree that the turn in of the Macan is less sharp than the Cayenne. I drove a base Cayenne for a loaner and thought that the Cayenne's steering felt quicker. The Macan is still an utter blast to drive, and it was just me being ultra discerning.

I wonder if the steering can be adjusted with the PIWIS? I believe the speed assisted steering feel can be modified.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:38 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For clarity, i'm talking about a base macan i've been driving for 2 weeks not. Not an S, GTS, or Turbo, not a comparison. And not a comparison to my cayenne.

The interior is definitely not nicer than my wife's M235I (54k msrp). That car has leather door panels and nice stitching, excellent seats, and a dash and controls that feel nicer than the Porsche.And the car has serious *****. it's fast.

I rode in a buddies new SQ5, and for the price i would absolutely get it over the Macan. ITs faster, way nicer interior, better features, and looks good (not better or worse).

You want to critique the base model and that's cool, but you say you aren't comparing it to other cars, then in the next paragraph you compare it to other cars.

The comfort I find in my Macan is knowing that Porsche wanted to build a car that would be attractive to a segment of car buyers that is larger than the buyers they typically attract to their sports cars. If they want to build 20 different versions of the 911, they need to have something that brings in the income for them to do that. I don't think the original Macan was envisioned with a 440 HP turbo, I think it was conceptualized with 4 cylinder engine. So all that time and design went into the Base model. Sure you can make a Macan really bad ***, (Turbo) but my *** tells me the Base is exactly what Porsche wanted a Macan to be
Old 09-19-2017, 03:08 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the motortrend article:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...ts-first-test/

Originally Posted by El Sapo
You want to critique the base model and that's cool, but you say you aren't comparing it to other cars, then in the next paragraph you compare it to other cars.

The comfort I find in my Macan is knowing that Porsche wanted to build a car that would be attractive to a segment of car buyers that is larger than the buyers they typically attract to their sports cars. If they want to build 20 different versions of the 911, they need to have something that brings in the income for them to do that. I don't think the original Macan was envisioned with a 440 HP turbo, I think it was conceptualized with 4 cylinder engine. So all that time and design went into the Base model. Sure you can make a Macan really bad ***, (Turbo) but my *** tells me the Base is exactly what Porsche wanted a Macan to be
Old 09-19-2017, 03:35 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I rode in a buddies new SQ5, and for the price i would absolutely get it over the Macan.
I've driven several Q5 flavors (not the SQ5) and you couldn't *give* me one to own.

The pedals, steering wheel and driver's seat do not line up on an axis. After a few minutes driving I feel like I'm being 'adjusted' by a Sadistic Chiropractor.

Maybe this has been corrected in the last model year or two. But, at this point I don't GAF.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
I've driven several Q5 flavors (not the SQ5) and you couldn't *give* me one to own.

The pedals, steering wheel and driver's seat do not line up on an axis. After a few minutes driving I feel like I'm being 'adjusted' by a Sadistic Chiropractor.

Maybe this has been corrected in the last model year or two. But, at this point I don't GAF.
I just rode in it as a passenger. It was good. Didn't drive, but you could be right.

But let me clarify my point: I would get the SQ5 over the BASE macan, at that price point. Just on amenities, because lets face it, if you're getting the base car you're not really seeking driving or power perfection. And once you take a macan and get the bigger motor, better seats, nicer interior, pasm, etc it's a very different car.

Didn't realize I'd spark such a nerve, I think my feedback was balanced (good and bad), and was specifically targeted at the base motor car with near zero options.

I do stand by my opinion, that, while porsche has said "hey you can get a porsche for under 50k" that I'm not really sure you'd want to....

Quick Reply: A week with a base macan