Notices
Macan 2014-Current

From 996 C4 Cab to Macan Turbo, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:37 PM
AnakChan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From 996 C4 Cab to Macan Turbo, what to expect?

Hi folks, as with most other ppl, I find I finally have to mature & give up my 996 C4 Cab for a family car. There is a reasonably high chance that I'll be signing up for a used 2016 Macan Turbo today.

I've had my 996 C4 Cab for 14 years that's been tailored a little here & there to fit me like a glove. Despite it's hard riding, its noisy interior cabin & uncomfortable seats, I've come to know my car really really well & am well in love with its idiosyncrasies. A part of me feels like it's dying by giving it up for a family car.

But I have to move on for the sake of the family & trying to look on the bright side. I took the Macan Turbo for a little test ride yesterday for about 15 mins. In busy Tokyo/Yokohama roads I could hardly push it past 50km/h even in small stretches and overall I felt it was a typical comfy luxury car that's quiet (and my fear, easy to lose the sense of speed if it's -that- quiet).

Due to the little time, I'm wondering what I should expect, gotchas, factors to be wary of, etc. in few main points :-
  1. buying a more modern car with all the whiz bang whistles (I feel like an old man and I'm in technology as a profession!). There were more buttons & levers on the wheel than I do have fingers!
  2. what should I look out for in buying a used Turbo Macan (aside from the usual generic basics mileage, accidents, maintenance, etc.). My wife likes a closed roof, and I like the pano sun roof. The closed version only has heated seats, whilst the pano sun roof has cooling/heated. One may have keyless whilst the other doesn't. One also has some "idling" thing whilst the other doesn't - what does all that stuff mean!?
  3. I'm a manual gear 'n clutch guy & this thing has paddle shifting PDK stuff. Any advice?
  4. Longer term maintenance concerns from a 996 C4 Cab to whatever modern electronic-ised cars are like

Any advice one is able to offer, is highly greatly appreciated.

Last edited by AnakChan; 09-09-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

Plan on spending a few weeks reading the manual and trying out all the features, if you really want to understand them. PDK is a triumph of engineering; some hate it all the more because of this - which camp are you in? No reliability issues have surfaced, as far as I know.

I've become competent working on old cars. The Macan will never be an "old" car in the same way, for better or worse. Too many things require a hookup to a Porsche computer.

You'll drive the Macan much more often and for longer distances. You'll love it, except that it's bigger - I recall from visiting my brother in Yokohama that your streets are tight and crowded with pedestrians (and that hitting one was always the drivers fault).
Old 09-10-2017, 08:25 AM
AnakChan
Advanced

Thank you for the tips. Yes I'll be reading through the manual closely as I'm just signing up for the Macan Turbo.

i took it for another drive today and yes whilst it has a good performance, the handling is just different from the 996.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

At first you will miss the low feeling of power and handling. Then as you get used to all the "right" button pushing on start up, all that will change. It's fast, it can maneuver thru the field of cars in front of you , or just be tranquil in the the quiet of its interior . This vechicle has grown on me, from I hate to say "meh" coming from my rs6 to now saying try and keep up! I think the more you drive it ; you won't regret it. Good luck! FYI I've added a hidden hitch and a 2nd set of 21" wheels for summer here in MN . Don't look back!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:35 PM
AnakChan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
At first you will miss the low feeling of power and handling. Then as you get used to all the "right" button pushing on start up, all that will change. It's fast, it can maneuver thru the field of cars in front of you , or just be tranquil in the the quiet of its interior . This vechicle has grown on me, from I hate to say "meh" coming from my rs6 to now saying try and keep up! I think the more you drive it ; you won't regret it. Good luck! FYI I've added a hidden hitch and a 2nd set of 21" wheels for summer here in MN . Don't look back!
Thank you for the encouraging words. Over the past few days I've been reading up and watching YouTube on the Macan to drum up the interest and it's growing on me. As my 996 was a stick shift cab, I think it's the hard driving (noise, feeling every bump, manual clutch/gear shift, etc.) is what I miss the most and what my passenger wife is gladly giving up. The Macan is so quiet inside that I fear I'll fall asleep in long drives .

What's interesting is the Macan Turbo in Japan seems to have some slightly different option specs e.g. no Sports Plus and lower suspension buttons (PASM available, but not the car icon with down arrow). It has only the Sports mode. From the forums, I see these options can be retrofitted at a cost should I pursue.

What do you intend to tow with your hitch?

Last edited by AnakChan; 09-11-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Hidden hitch is for a double bike rake only; have two e bikes that is another great story. Porsche made a great vehicle in the Macan, give it some time, I really think you'll fall in love with it . I've got 5 in the garage and the macan wins most days. Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2017, 04:08 PM
CayenneTTS
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Expect the car to be better in every measurable way, performance, comfort, reliability etc.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 PM
AnakChan
Advanced

Thank you for the encouraging words. Slight delay in the delivery (looking around early Oct) but still looking forward to it.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 AM
AnakChan
Advanced

Just an update to this post, I picked up my car this past weekend. Still takes a little getting used to with the smooth quiet (and fast!) rides.

The Japanese Macan Turbo seems to have the most basic - don't have air suspension, no Sports Plus, no heated steering wheel, etc. But still happy with it overall.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: From 996 C4 Cab to Macan Turbo, what to expect?