Macan 2014-Current

Cayenne versus Macan

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:31 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Cayenne versus Macan

We are planning to trade in our cayenne for a macan. Wife likes the PDK and drivability of Macan as compared to sluggish cayenne. She is also concerned about the lack of rear leg room in the Macan However. ? Any thoughts
Old 09-09-2017, 11:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
We are planning to trade in our cayenne for a macan. Wife likes the PDK and drivability of Macan as compared to sluggish cayenne. She is also concerned about the lack of rear leg room in the Macan However. ? Any thoughts
After owning an 04 turbo and 14 GTS we are switching to a Macan GTS. Rear seating is definitely limited compared to the Cayenne although I find getting in and out of the Macan more difficult it isn't that bad for short drives but the driver needs to pull his seat up a little. I am above average in size though. We initially didn't like the Macan but there are many pros as you noted with the PDK and drivability is more car like than SUV especially with the sport seats. The GTS is about as quick as the TT. I drove one at the Porsche driving experience and it is quite impressive.

Unless you use it for 4 passengers a lot I wouldn't be concerned.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I took my Macan to the beach last weekend and had two moderately tall women in back (5' 10" and 5' 8"). I checked with them to see how much head room and leg room they had, and they were fine. I do like to be fairly close to the wheel even though I'm 5' 11", so the seat was a good bit forward.

However, I have a long torso, so my head brushes against the headliner when I sit in back. This is the reason I initially dismissed the Macan when I was looking at Cayennes last year. After one drive in a Macan, I got over that objection.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:25 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

OT:

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I took my Macan ...
Mark, have you posted pictures of your Agate GTS? We're thinking of an Agate Macan at some point. I'd love to see what yours looks like.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
OT:

Mark, have you posted pictures of your Agate GTS? We're thinking of an Agate Macan at some point. I'd love to see what yours looks like.
Not yet. Haven't taken any photos, either. Rhodium silver was my top choice, but the GF loves agate gray much more.

It's handsome, understated and classy. I was open to a carmine red or sapphire blue Macan, but I'm happy to have a non-flashy car for work and for general daily driving.

The color has a hint of brown to it when lit by our LED outdoor lights and changes tone to a neat-looking gray in full sunlight. It looks unlike any gray I've seen, and we have a a Miata in titanium gray and a Honda Accord in modern steel metallic (IIRC).

Stared at a volcano gray Macan for fifteen minutes before I decided it was just too close to black for me.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Not yet. Haven't taken any photos, either. Rhodium silver was my top choice, but the GF loves agate gray much more.

It's handsome, understated and classy. I was open to a carmine red or sapphire blue Macan, but I'm happy to have a non-flashy car for work and for general daily driving.

The color has a hint of brown to it when lit by our LED outdoor lights and changes tone to a neat-looking gray in full sunlight. It looks unlike any gray I've seen, and we have a a Miata in titanium gray and a Honda Accord in modern steel metallic (IIRC).

Stared at a volcano gray Macan for fifteen minutes before I decided it was just too close to black for me.
We ordered Rhodium as well. White is too common and we have the Boxster in Rhodium. Our 14 boxster was agate, also a great color but if we went to Agate we would have had everything color matched instead of the black contrasts. The Rhodium is great for hiding dirt as well.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by worf928
OT:

Comparison pics between Agate and Volcano here.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:39 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Every time I want to buy a Macan, I think about how it would have been perfect if it had a bit more trunk space, more refined ride and nice sounding and grunty V8. Then I realize it's what the new gen Cayenne TT is going to be, so I just wait.

But I have 2 kids with strollers, toys, skis, bikes etc.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:10 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I took my Macan to the beach last weekend and had two moderately tall women in back (5' 10" and 5' 8"). I checked with them to see how much head room and leg room they had, and they were fine. I do like to be fairly close to the wheel even though I'm 5' 11", so the seat was a good bit forward.

However, I have a long torso, so my head brushes against the headliner when I sit in back. This is the reason I initially dismissed the Macan when I was looking at Cayennes last year. After one drive in a Macan, I got over that objection.
Mark,pics of Macan and the women?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:22 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Every time I want to buy a Macan, I think about how it would have been perfect if it had a bit more trunk space, more refined ride and nice sounding and grunty V8. Then I realize it's what the new gen Cayenne TT is going to be, so I just wait.

But I have 2 kids with strollers, toys, skis, bikes etc.
$140k tt. Vs $75k Gts Macan I took the Macan
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2017, 08:53 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Picked up our GTS yesterday and after owning an 04 CTT and 14 CGTS I am a convert with only 100 miles of fun.

Wife is happy too.

So I need the GTS in silver on the blade and I see nobody makes a clear or tinted corner yet. I tried to put some film on it to see how it would look. Might have to remove and paint them with dark tint but not as dark as the film.
Attached Images     
Old 10-22-2017, 11:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Looks great! Rhodium was my first choice, but my agate gray with the black wheels is a fine secind choice.

TAG makes these painted reflectors: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...the-macan.html I wonder if there is increased liability by not having the reflectors in place if you were to be hit by someone. The reflectors don't bother me enough to change them out, but I like your test versions.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

We were seriously considering Agate. A friend of ours has a GTS in Agate, it works for me. Really happy with the Rhodium matches our Boxster GTS. I like how the black contrasts with the silver and it hides dirt well. We were considering white but most of the Macans by me are white.

It didn't take long to warm up to the GTS. Some things we wasted money on were the ski bag which I expected to be like my Cayenne where there is a bag in the center section that keeps the skis from damaging or dirtying the interior. I was surprised to see an actual separate bag in a pouch affixed to the side of the rear trunk area. The surround back up cameras are nice but could live without them but otherwise I like everything else so far. The PTV + was worth it and I can see it doing well at AX or spirited driving but will no doubt eat up rear pads.

I don't like the idea of eliminating the side markers. I am surprised nobody has come up with a clear or tinted version yet. Duplicolor makes a dark shades paint that is designed to tint lenses like these. I am thinking of painting them instead of the film but for now these will work.

I will miss my Cayennes but IMO the GTS at least is a better ride than both my 04 CTT and 14 CGTS. It's only down side is lack of cargo space.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I'm downsizing from a 2007 Sequoia, so it's a compromise of space, weight and agility. No regrets. Hated driving the Sequoia.

Check out the Canvasback cargo liner: https://www.canvasback.com/index.php...ers/macan.html Very impressed with the product. I just hauled five bags of stone and did it with utter confidence that I was not going to mess up the interior. Apologies if I have mentioned this in one of your other threads.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Zetta
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 100 Posts

Me too

After two Cayenne Diesel, I ordered a Macan GTS in October and can´t wait the delivery in December It is a driving machine, whereas the Cayenne was a nice SUV-feeling. I agree with cobalt, that for me the only down side is the lack of cargo space.

Quick Reply: Cayenne versus Macan