Macan 2014-Current

Need a favor

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 04:54 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a favor

it might sound crazy but I need to know exactly the distance between the front dashboard (where A/C or nav is) and the trunk. What I need to know is whether a 4x4 fits in this car. I am considering this car as a daily and I do a lot of home projects and part of it is carrying 4x4s from home depot.

I appreciate it!
Old 09-04-2017, 12:49 AM
zekeman1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
it might sound crazy but I need to know exactly the distance between the front dashboard (where A/C or nav is) and the trunk. What I need to know is whether a 4x4 fits in this car. I am considering this car as a daily and I do a lot of home projects and part of it is carrying 4x4s from home depot.

I appreciate it!
Ouch! Transport multiple 4x4's in a Macan? Just a suggestion - project how many you will need and rent a truck from HD for $20 and cart them home in their truck rather than potentially hose up the interior of your Macan.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:29 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by zekeman1
Ouch! Transport multiple 4x4's in a Macan? Just a suggestion - project how many you will need and rent a truck from HD for $20 and cart them home in their truck rather than potentially hose up the interior of your Macan.
i wont, i dont baby cars, i drive them to their fullest potential like i have with my m5. I haul dead leaves, top soil, lumber, you name it. I drive them in snow in salty roads, i go on 2500 mile road trips. So let me worry about keeping the car clean (m5 still looks new after 45000 miles and not a single scratch).

question is, will 4x4s fith this car? Macan is 10" shorter than my m5 and in my m5 i have about 5-6" to spare.

i have been looking into these sporty suvs but the reality is they are too small and i dont think will be as versatile
Old 09-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

Don't understand. Are you asking about the longest 4x4 (inch, nominal) that can be fit in the car, between the seats? Do you really mean dimensional lumber in general, "1x", "2x", etc? My guess is that six-footers might fit, barely. But please don't try.

If you don't have a Macan yet, you surely want one with a roof rack if you must really take it to the home store for long stuff.

In any case, yes, it certainly sounds crazy. Anyone with money for a Macan has money for an old Dodge Caravan - take out the rear seats and it can hold 10-footers between the front seats, and even full 4x8' sheets of plywood - better and cheaper than a pickup.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:45 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I appreciate it!
From the closed rear hatch, straight through center on top of the armrest to the dash face is about 8'6". Add about 10" more if you go on top of the dash. If you put the lumber on a slight angle starting at the hatch behind the driver and end up in front crossing over the passenger seat you get about 9'8".

That said, the factory crossbars are extremely nice and well engineered and a bit of a bargain. Get those too, just for the really big stuff! Also, the cargo management system is amazing. I have both.

If you want a versatile medium sized SUV that provides an unequaled and entertaining driving experience then the Macan fits the bill. If you want more hauling space and still enjoy the Porsche quality experience then get the Cayenne. If you just want to haul stuff there are many cheaper, albeit more boring, choices.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

8'7" 5/16 (or 103" 5/16) as measured from the middle of the PCM screen to the back of the plastic trunk lip near the carpet.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM
rna352
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adk46
an old Dodge Caravan
Or better yet, a trailer.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rna352
Or better yet, a trailer.
I would say a roof rack would be very useful for this. Several manufactures make cross bars and you could haul almost any length with flags.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 AM
DerStig
Racer

Thanks for the responses. I usually lay several layers of towel on the arm rest area, on top of folded back seats and around the sides of the driver and passenger seats. Yes I am trying to figure out if I can fit 4x4s in there without having them on the dash just on arm rest area. I can fit 6 of them in my m5. To this date I probably carried 100-120 of them over 3 years and not a scratch on any leather.

i cannot buy another car because my driveway is barely big enough for 2 of my existing cars and I cannot park on the road (live on a double lane county road).

Cannot use the roof racks because they dont hold that much weight, its dangerous to carry something 8' long like that plus its too much work to lift 50-60 lbs of lumber that high (pressure treated wet lumber is very heavy). Cayenne is not an option, I hate big SUVs that feel like a boat.

i am still going back and forth between holding on to my m5 vs a macan. Macan is fast yes 0-60, but its no match for the m5, m5 is like a freight train on 3rd, 4th, 5th, it pulls and pulls. I will either keep the m5 and mod it, figure if I spend 10k on it, it will be 850hp/750 tq, new clutch pack, tune, etc and cost me 60k to keep. M5 is also very long and has a very deep trunk. For instance my beach umbrella would not fit in macan unless you put the seats down which is not an option when you are carrying 5.

the only real advantage of macan over the m5 is the trailer hitch. As far as speed, handling, luxury, m5 probably takes the cake.

trailer is a big plus for me for my house projects i want to be able to rent a backhoe, trencher, etc or carry my leaves (have about 40 trees that are 60-70' tall and they drop a ton of leaves).
Old 09-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

A trailer is the best solution. I'm coming from a 2007 Sequoia and am definitely sacrificing cargo room with the Macan. I still have my Trailex trailer from my racing days and will be using that for big or long loads.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Cannot use the roof racks because they dont hold that much weight, its dangerous to carry something 8' long like that
And having that inside the passenger cabin is not dangerous??? An accident can happen at anytime and having a 2x4 slammed up against your head, won't be fun. My uncle had a tool box in the back of his Tahoe, he got into an accident and that box became a missile.

Besides the trailer another easy solution is that home depot or lowes rents a pickup/truck for $20/hr. Or even U-Haul.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:08 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Five minute city drive? Leave the hatch open?
X2, on a secure load. I tie down everything in my truck.
Ski's, pressure washer? Tied down to the floor.
Dog? Has its own seat belt and harness.
Cute, fluffy 8o lb fido in the back of your head at 6o mph,
is going to do the same thing as a 4"x 4".
They don't call them "on purposes".
If you need a truck for work? Get a truck, or rent one when needed.
Need a 4"x4"x8'? x 6 of them? Buy it delivered. Its only a matter of time before your load shifts and punches out you dash vent,
or slides into your 1ooo dollar windshield.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:54 AM
Omissam
3rd Gear

I would thing that since you have carried lumber inside your SUV's before, you are probably best equipped to know how many you would carry at a time, at what slope, and how many side by side....IMHO, I would think you are better off going to a dealer with your insight and your tape measure.
..... and when you are not carrying anything you will love the Macan

Quick Reply: Need a favor