Macan 2014-Current

PDK Normal vs Sport - Manual Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Canefan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default PDK Normal vs Sport - Manual Shifting

Former 991 owner here, still getting to know my 2017 Macan S. I've searched and can't seem to get an answer to whether there's a difference in Normal vs Sport when shifting the PDK manually. In Auto mode, of course, the shift points are more aggressive and throttle response is quicker, but what happens when in Manual mode? On my 991 with Sport Exhaust, Sport mode engaged the Sport exhaust and the throttle response was quicker even in Manual shifting, but I can't really feel a throttle response difference in the Macan. Does anyone know if Sport mode only matters when allowing the PDK to shift automatically?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Canefan
...difference in Normal vs Sport when shifting the PDK manually. In Auto mode, of course, the shift points are more aggressive and throttle response is quicker, but what happens when in Manual mode?... ...Does anyone know if Sport mode only matters when allowing the PDK to shift automatically?
Sport mode changes the engine management software itself, regardless of manually operating the PDK.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:35 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

It does make a difference, but it's not as pronounced as it was in your 991.

Behind the scenes, the PDK is anticipating which gear will be needed next and shifts to that gear on the disconnected shaft. If it has guessed right, it just operates the clutches and the shift is instant. If it's wrong, you get a slower shift because it has to change gears before operating the clutches.

In normal mode it makes decisions favoring fuel economy unless it detects that you're driving aggressively. In Sport mode the thresholds are adjusted to more often favor a gear that will keep you in the power band. In Sport+ it always assumes you'll drive aggressively and doesn't preselect a gear for fuel economy. It also relaxes the PSM and allows a little more sliding before kicking in.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Canefan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cviles
It does make a difference, but it's not as pronounced as it was in your 991.

Behind the scenes, the PDK is anticipating which gear will be needed next and shifts to that gear on the disconnected shaft. If it has guessed right, it just operates the clutches and the shift is instant. If it's wrong, you get a slower shift because it has to change gears before operating the clutches.

In normal mode it makes decisions favoring fuel economy unless it detects that you're driving aggressively. In Sport mode the thresholds are adjusted to more often favor a gear that will keep you in the power band. In Sport+ it always assumes you'll drive aggressively and doesn't preselect a gear for fuel economy. It also relaxes the PSM and allows a little more sliding before kicking in.

Yes, I understand the difference between Sport and Normal when allowing the PDK to shift automatically. My question was whether there is any advantage to being in Sport mode when the driver is shifting the PDK manually. In other words, is the throttle more responsive like it was on my 991?
Old 08-11-2017, 05:36 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Ok I misunderstood your question. I know the response on my Turbo changes when I switch to Sport or Sport+ but I have the Sport Chrono option and it tweaks a number of systems. It gets more eager to rev with a smaller prodding of the pedal. At least it feels that way but then I checked all the performance options available when I spec'd out the car so a lot changes with each driving mode.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised to find that manual mode makes any differences in other Porsche cars. I thought the software loads up the configuration based on the mode (comfort, sport, sport plus).

Anyways, I always drive in manual mode because I want to use Sport Plus but don't want to redline every gear. Sport mode is a garbage IMO, and I think there's a reason why it's standard.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

The only possible effect of the sports mode on manual shifting itself is the speed of the shifts - 20 milliseconds versus 30 (I made up those numbers). You'd feel it in auto mode as well. I felt the difference in my 987.2, but can't say I've noticed it in the Macan.

I suppose it might change how the PDK guesses about the next gear. If it normally chooses not to decide in some cases - that is, not to pre-select a gear - it might do that more often. Conceivably, it might characterize a driver and shift accordingly - a driver who downshifts for braking versus one who doesn't.

The sports button is best thought of as "Econ Mode Off".
Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a Macan GTS. It shifts far slower than the PDK in my 911 turbo. I suppose that should be expected, but the difference is quite dramatic. I told the dealer during a visit and after test driving it, they said it was normal.

Quick Reply: PDK Normal vs Sport - Manual Shifting