Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Navy or Car connect?

Old 08-04-2017, 08:06 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Navy or Car connect?

I have a 2018 GTS on order and cannot decide between the Nav. Module or Porsche car connect. I use an IPhone and like Apple car play.
My question is if I only order car play & am streaming music will google maps stream to the pcm screen at the same time?
I still think it sucks Porsche doesn't include nav as standard on a 70,000 vehicle
Old 08-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 160 Posts

I only opened this post to figure out what "Navy" had to do with "car connect".

But if you're asking if CarPlay can play music and do "Maps" at the same time, yes. I suspect that's true of other navigation apps with CarPlay capability - have not tried Google Maps.

If anyone is on the fence about going the CarPlay route, know that there are complaints about it being flaky. I have not figured out how to get it to start up right away consistently. There is some voodoo involved in whether/if the phone will connect via Bluetooth and/or the cable - each invoking something very different - somewhere in the setup process, I think you must make a choice, but it might revert - I don't know. I'm completely confused, but I'm not unusually stupid about these things - I'm an app developer.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:58 AM
bernpep
Instructor

Yes Navi, thank you! If it will play my music via iPhone and display navigation to the com screen that would be great. I will order car connect and skip the Nav module
Old 08-05-2017, 08:48 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bernpep
If it will play my music via iPhone and display navigation to the com screen that would be great. I will order car connect and skip the Nav module
Yes it will play music and still run navigation and maps at the same time. You can swith screens back and forth without interrupting either. I use CarPlay everyday and am quite pleased with it.

That said, I didn't find the interaction between the iPhone and the Porsche PCM buttons very clear but once you figure it out it works fine.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:14 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Thank you Bradb
Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

With CarPlay you have to use Apple Maps, google maps is still not supported.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:41 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer told me there was some use of connect that would cause a conflict between the map (apple map, the one on your Iphone) and your music. He told me how to get around it if I needed to, but I never had an issue over the week long 3K road trip I just completed. I've played the radio and my music library and I don't think there was ever any disconnect from the map. Maybe I didn't notice it if it did happen.

I'd recommend connect, but I don't have anything bad to say about nav because I haven't used it. maybe it kicks ***, but I'm really happy I didn't spend extra money on nav when the one on my phone works great in the car.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Xerxes480
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, if only CarPlay supported Waze!!
Old 08-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I have CarPlay in two of my other cars and find it invaluable. It can be buggy (Pandora, especially), but that may be a function of my old iPhone 5S running 9.0.2. It usually works fine.

CarPlay has driven my decision to pursue a 2017 GTS and forgo a 2016 turbo.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:48 PM
bcbeak
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay

When I bought my car ... there were several cars on the lot with NAV for more money .. but my car was optioned with CarPlay/apple Play. My rep explained that the Navigation in Apple Play will replace PCM NAV. Apple iPhone maps works fine in Apple CarPlay mode, but the GPS screen is a little different from the phone and you have to have your destination set before you drive (a safety feature).

I have been able to run Apple Play for navigation while running music from the phone, although the music interface is different from what you see when running BlueTooth music from the phone. The menus and navigation are a little foreign to me at this point .. but I'm learning how to use it.

I haven't used any other apps accept for Nav, Music, and Text.

Does anyone know if there is a way to run Apple Play without a physical cable connection .. through Bluetooth? This seems like a little bit of step backward to have to plug the phone into the car. Did I miss a bluetooth alternative?

IMHO Apple Play is the way all cars should be built .. to enforce no texting and driving. The texting interface with Siri works very well and keeps you focused on the road.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:24 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

I agree you would think that you could go Bluetooth instead of the cable and the connection in that box could have been thought out a little better. If it is possible I haven't been able to do it yet. Matter of fact, you need to use a quality cord, our phones wouldn't connect with our cheap non apple cables.

The dealer told me there was a way to have one phone set for nav and if your wife was in the car, her phone could play music. Guess you could toggle between each as necessary.

I noticed that when my phone was plugged in that my wife's phone wouldn't connect through the car. I think a lot this stuff will depend on your level of expertise with the iPhone and tech in general. Most of the time it's me not the device.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:52 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CarPlay is very good but I also have NAV. Texting is good with Siri but iOS 11 will have a do not disturb option for when CarPlay is active -- a good feature if you get a lot of texts at once and don't want to be bothered.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:00 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't opt for the Apple Car Play/Porsche Connect because I didn't want to pay the monthly fee, and I don't like compressed music anyway, particularly with the terrible audio system (Bose just plain sucks) already present in the car.

I'm also a little perturbed that the number of stations I can save has been greatly reduced (from 18 each for FM/AM/Sat, to 15 (20?) total for FM/AM/Sat plus five (six?) "best signal" for FM that can't be individually changed) with the new system vs the old system. I want a software update that removes the variable FM presets and allows me to individually choose stations to save.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:43 PM
irv09
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have CarPlay and Nav. There have been times when CarPlay does not appear and it is nice to have the Nav as a back up.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1pvr
Didn't opt for the Apple Car Play/Porsche Connect because I didn't want to pay the monthly fee, and I don't like compressed music anyway, particularly with the terrible audio system (Bose just plain sucks) already present in the car.

Been playing around with my base stereo system quite a bit and noticed the radio (Sirius) sounds a lot better than what is coming out of my iPhone music library. I wonder if the quality has to do with "burned' vs downloaded material. Couldn't agree more, compressed is horrible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navy or Car connect?