Macan 2014-Current

Hitch step / bumper protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:44 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hitch step / bumper protection

Has anyone attached a step plate to the Macan tow hitch that serves well as a rear parking bumper protector too?

Weathertech's XL 24 inch one looks ok from pictures and there are testimonials from other car make users that it protected them from rear bumper damage even in small accidents . I just want to have some rear bumper protection from parallel parkers.

Others that look good / and are unobtrusive ?

Last edited by smichael; 08-04-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went for the the above mentioned Weathertech new "XL" Bumpstep (wider model) and I think it is a great solution for bumper protection and use as a step to get to top. Obviously you need the hitch option installed, but for those who do and want an extra level of nice,

utilitarian looking protection, it's a great idea from the WT guys. Installed in 5 minutes and color is very close to that under the bumper.

Last edited by smichael; 08-09-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-2017, 08:56 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Nothing wrong with Weathertech. Have used their products for years.

There are many options for hitch steps available to meet different wants/needs:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...r-Hitch-Steps/

I am partial to the look of the Smittybilt step -- no plastic, more uses than just a step, and it will probably last longer than the rest of the vehicle.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:10 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I've got the regular Weathertech Bump Step on my Macan & it looks just like @smichael's, but a bit smaller. I like it for stepping up to reach the top & like the bit of cushion it gives me from being bumped from behind. That said, it didn't help when someone in an F150 backed up & scuffed the paint on the side of my bumper. But, it's a bit of insurance & I like it.

Quick Reply: Hitch step / bumper protection