Macan 2014-Current

Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:07 AM
zekeman1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Noise

I have a month old '17 Turbo with about 1000 miles on it. I have noticed after driving it for about 10 minutes or so that I get a periodic "grinding-like" noise as I drive it. It isn't constant but I can feel it in the steering wheel and hear a very subtle grinding like sound, as though it's coming from the transmission or wheels. It isn't constant, but once it starts, of course I focus on it and can hear/feel it cut in and out.

I took it into the dealer today and the shop forman rode with me. Naturally I couldn't reproduce it (audibly) but did feel it in the steering and accelerator. He suspects it could be something related to the transfer case but is unsure at this point. He is going to contact the district guy to see if there are any other complaints and will let me know.

Anyone experience something like this or have heard info regarding?
Thanks for any comments.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 AM
johneg
AutoX

Have seen threads recently posted for wheel bearing.When you feel noise try shifting the weight of vehicle side to side, by moving steering wheel left to right, to see if there's change.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:53 PM
bham
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check pins in brake rotor. 2017 Porsche has a new design two piece brake rotor.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:19 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I have something similar in our '16 Turbo.

I have traced it to the a/c compressor. At ~1000-1400 rpm with the A/C on I feel a vibration in the steering wheel and hear a 'bearing' noise. When I turn-off the A/C it goes away immediately.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:30 AM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I think I'm experiencing the same thing you're explaining here on my '16 turbo and it's been driving me crazy. It's very subtle and been feeling like it's a mental thing but this confirms it may be something else.

Basically at low speeds or in an rpm range between 1500-2000 rpm I hear an audible "growning" noise and can feel vibration in the throttle and steering wheel. Once above 2500 rpm it seems to disappear. Is this what you're explaining ? Of course I took it to the dealer and they say it's normal operation for the car, however I've been doubting that as this car is so polished all the way around

Am I not crazy??
Old 08-02-2017, 10:43 AM
zekeman1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JZ98-993
It's very subtle and been feeling like it's a mental thing but this confirms it may be something else.

Basically at low speeds or in an rpm range between 1500-2000 rpm I hear an audible "growning" noise and can feel vibration in the throttle and steering wheel. Once above 2500 rpm it seems to disappear. Is this what you're explaining ? Of course I took it to the dealer and they say it's normal operation for the car, however I've been doubting that as this car is so polished all the way around
Hopefully you meant metal and not mental. If it's the former, that's how I would characterize it.

You have pretty much described the same thing I have going on; it's hard to determine whether it is happening at higher speeds due to road vibration/noise. But at much lower speeds it is very discernible. I'm going to give it another thousand miles or so...if it's still going on, back to the dealer.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:24 PM
ssaa77
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I have the same sound. It's very faint and I really only hear it when the windows are down at lower speeds. I can reproduce at low speed right when I begin accelerating and it continues briefly after lifting off the throttle. Taking the car in next week...I fear I'll get the same response that it's normal or they can't reproduce. I'll fiddle with A/C and moving car side to side. Will keep folks updated.

I have a 17 gts.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:08 AM
zekeman1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ssaa77
I think I have the same sound. It's very faint and I really only hear it when the windows are down at lower speeds. I can reproduce at low speed right when I begin accelerating and it continues briefly after lifting off the throttle. Taking the car in next week...I fear I'll get the same response that it's normal or they can't reproduce. I'll fiddle with A/C and moving car side to side. Will keep folks updated.

I have a 17 gts.
I've tried cutting the a/c off multiple times when hearing/feeling the grind but it continued; don't think that has any effect. Car movement from side to side same results.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:48 AM
JCN83
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Great to know. I've heard / felt similar in my '17 GTS.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:10 PM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm taking mine in on Tuesday and will update here, don't have high hopes since it seems so hard to pin down but it's driving me crazy, this car is too polished to exhibit these signs
Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 AM
JCN83
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 08-23-2017, 03:56 PM
ssaa77
Rennlist Member

Just got back from dealer. Definitely able to reproduce but tech said that they drove other Macan and they all do that. It's the turbo spooling up and down. There is no fix, unfortunately. Sucks.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:03 PM
ssaa77
Rennlist Member

Just got back from dealer. Definitely able to reproduce but tech said that they drove other Macan and they all do that. It's the turbo spooling up and down. There is no fix, unfortunately. Sucks.
i do wonder if it's specific to 17. I'm not getting any vibrations like the 16 owner in this thread. That might a totally different issue. Given mine definitely aligns to the psi gauge, it's definitely the turbos.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 PM
zekeman1
Intermediate

i do wonder if it's specific to 17. I'm not getting any vibrations like the 16 owner in this thread. That might a totally different issue. Given mine definitely aligns to the psi gauge, it's definitely the turbos.
Thanks for the info, but perhaps it is related to 17's. My psi gauge is zeroed out when it is occurring, often when I'm going around 20 mph. Cuts in and out and will happen at moderate speeds as well. I'm living with it for now, although being aware of it causes me to focus on it.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:52 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zekeman1
I have a month old '17 Turbo with about 1000 miles on it. I have noticed after driving it for about 10 minutes or so that I get a periodic "grinding-like" noise as I drive it. It isn't constant but I can feel it in the steering wheel and hear a very subtle grinding like sound, as though it's coming from the transmission or wheels. It isn't constant, but once it starts, of course I focus on it and can hear/feel it cut in and out.

I took it into the dealer today and the shop forman rode with me. Naturally I couldn't reproduce it (audibly) but did feel it in the steering and accelerator. He suspects it could be something related to the transfer case but is unsure at this point. He is going to contact the district guy to see if there are any other complaints and will let me know.

Anyone experience something like this or have heard info regarding?
Thanks for any comments.
Can't believe that it's the turbos spooling up. That sounds more like a very soft whirring, and definitely not a grinding or groaning noise, at least in the GTS.

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise