Adding Thule rack and "tow package"

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:24 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Adding Thule rack and "tow package"

Hi, all,

Considering a 2015 Macan turbo and need to add a rack to carry the mountain bikes. I know that 958 Cayennes with the pano roof simply cannot have a roof rack added if the factory rails are not [corrected and edited] place, but I was wondering if the Macan with pano roof has the same limitations. Thule is closed for the weekend, so no help there.

Also, I need to occasionally tow my 3000 lb 993 with my 900 lb Trailex to the shop about five miles each way. I know there are limitations with the PDK. How hard or easy is it to add a tow hitch and wiring if none are present?

Checked archives and results were thin if nonexistent.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 07-22-2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-22-2017, 02:50 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Etrailer.com does carry hitches that work with the Macan. Essentially similar to the Audi Q5 hitch. The wire harness was always the problem (splicing into it). They do carry a wire harness kit that does not require splicing. There are "pickups" that sense current going through a wire, so they clamp around a brake or tail light wire, and do not interfere with the electric load of the factory wiring. Use the trailer hitch to mount a bike rack. I have a Saris Freedom 2 bike rack that clears everything just fine in the 2" receiver.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...leid=201744372
Old 07-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thule has feet and fit kit for the Macan. I use a thule rack on my 15 turbo and it works well for light loads.
Not sure about the hitch, as mine came with one. I think there is a factory kit to add a hitch. You might want to check sites such as sunset Porsche.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Link for the factory hitch:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKMACANHITCH.html
Old 07-23-2017, 03:57 PM
rosen39
Advanced

$1,095 for a factory hitch?? The etrailer web site lists hitches under $150.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201727108
Old 07-23-2017, 04:30 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

If you're going to add a hitch and only tow occasionally, double up the hitch duty and get a hitch rack. You can get several versions, but I like the tray systems best. Next choice would be the uprights that "hang" the bike by the front wheel in a vertical rack type arrangement.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rosen39
Etrailer.com does carry hitches that work with the Macan. Essentially similar to the Audi Q5 hitch. The wire harness was always the problem (splicing into it). They do carry a wire harness kit that does not require splicing. There are "pickups" that sense current going through a wire, so they clamp around a brake or tail light wire, and do not interfere with the electric load of the factory wiring. Use the trailer hitch to mount a bike rack. I have a Saris Freedom 2 bike rack that clears everything just fine in the 2" receiver.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...leid=201744372
Thanks! I've read that the pickup-style harness kit are better-suited for flat trailer connections. For a car trailer with electric brakes, I think a hard-wire solution is supposed to be better.

Originally Posted by Dave DE
Thule has feet and fit kit for the Macan. I use a thule rack on my 15 turbo and it works well for light loads.
Not sure about the hitch, as mine came with one. I think there is a factory kit to add a hitch. You might want to check sites such as sunset Porsche.
Thanks much for the info as well as the link!

Originally Posted by skiahh
If you're going to add a hitch and only tow occasionally, double up the hitch duty and get a hitch rack. You can get several versions, but I like the tray systems best. Next choice would be the uprights that "hang" the bike by the front wheel in a vertical rack type arrangement.
Hmmm, I may have to re-think my bike carrying needs. When I sell my Sequoia, I'm going to get rid of my now-twenty year old Yakima system, so it's an opportunity to re-think the system.

Still, I've been a big fan of fork mounts for quite a while and have a carbon fiber mountain bike that can't get clamped anywhere. The fork mounts are quite secure, too. Not sure how secure the trays are for theft, but my GF's Yakima trunk rack uses some cheesy cables that could be snipped with a pair of dykes in one second.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:24 PM
rosen39
Advanced

The Saris Freedom 2 rack straps in the front and rear wheel, and also straps around a "down tube" or horizontal bar on the bike. The bike is secure without the worry of clamping around the carbon fiber frame. It is very well cushioned.

https://www.saris.com/product/freedom-2

Get a heavy vinyl covered cable lock from Home Depot to lock up the bike to the bike rack. In the end, if the thief wants to steal the bike, they will get it. I also bought the locking hitch bolt from Saris.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:04 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Hmmm, I may have to re-think my bike carrying needs. When I sell my Sequoia, I'm going to get rid of my now-twenty year old Yakima system, so it's an opportunity to re-think the system.

Still, I've been a big fan of fork mounts for quite a while and have a carbon fiber mountain bike that can't get clamped anywhere. The fork mounts are quite secure, too. Not sure how secure the trays are for theft, but my GF's Yakima trunk rack uses some cheesy cables that could be snipped with a pair of dykes in one second.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Yes, the cables are pretty weak; basically they'll keep casual thieves away. But, as with any rack, a determined thief is going to get your bike. Even fork mounts.

As for fork mounts, with new standards and through axles, fork mounts are becoming more rare, not to mention a real hassle. The tray racks or hanging racks require no disassembly of your bike.

Take a look at the 1upUSA (www.1upusa.com), the new Yakima Dr. Tray and the Thule T2 Pro XT. I'm leaning towards the 1upUSA for my next rack, but now that Yakima and Thule have make their racks fit fat bikes, I'll consider staying with Yakima. Their warranty is first rate.

Than there's the hanging racks Northshore and Recon: http://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR%206-bike.htm and http://recon-racks.com/

My current set up:

And I can load and unload one handed, even, so if I've got a camelbak or helmet in one hand, I can still get the bike off and be ready to go.

Quick Reply: Adding Thule rack and "tow package"