Sponsored by:

997.2 Parts Supply

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:56 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 997.2 Parts Supply

I contacted PMNA today to purchase a new center console carrier assembly. The bad news response was that item is NLA. I'm not too bummed because all I need is the carrier plate itself to mount my existing switches and lights. The plate looks to be a 3mm thick derivative of polypropylene plastic so it's something that can be easily duplicated.

What I'm not thrilled to hear is some parts are drying up for the 997.2s only four years after production ceased. This doesn't bode well for me keeping the car. I'm sure there is an ample supply of all the parts on the clock, but anything on a race car can break and will need readily available replacement parts.

I read a lot of complaints from the 996 folks about parts scarcity which is one of the reasons I opted for a 997. Now I wonder just how soon the 997 will be is a similar situation.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Just threw mine away from my old 997.1. Sure they were the same. Bummer
Old 06-27-2017, 01:59 PM
dogger15
Racer

That is a bummer. It would have been perfect to use as a template to fab up a new one. I still have the original .1 plate in the car now, but it's been "modified" repeatedly over the years to where it's time to start over from scratch.

Since the car is being converted from .1 to .2, I want to extend that process to the center console carrier. The .2 has fewer switches and lights than the .1 which opens up space for additional items. I want to add those switches and controls for the various additions to the car, but do it in an orderly fashion.

I guess the next step is to post a WTB for a center console carrier plate and see if anyone has an extra they don't need.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:07 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Dogger15 - Did you get a price on it before they told you NLA? Odd the .2 Cup version is NLA because I just got one for a 997 GT3-R (which has more switches, and MUCH lower production than the Cups), but I am curious to know the price differential because the R part is crazy $$.

I can only guess the R carrier was NOS.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:16 PM
dogger15
Racer

I am surprised they would still have a 3R console and not one for the cup. I guess it's pot luck as to what parts are still available. He did not quote me a price since the item wasn't available but I can only imagine what a complete assembly for the cup or 3R cost. I paid $200+ for the plastic panel that mounts the Motec display. It's just a piece of plastic with 4 holes for screws and a hole for the Motec. I believe the same part in your car is carbon fiber. I'm sure the complete center console assembly would be in the thousands.

I considered 3Rs and RSRs before buying my Grand Ammer. The clincher was the exact thing you are experiencing now, the cost to field and maintain it. My car is pretty basic compared to yours and yet I have already realized my limits and switched from self supporting to a full shop support set up.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by dogger15
I am surprised they would still have a 3R console and not one for the cup. I guess it's pot luck as to what parts are still available. He did not quote me a price since the item wasn't available but I can only imagine what a complete assembly for the cup or 3R cost. I paid $200+ for the plastic panel that mounts the Motec display. It's just a piece of plastic with 4 holes for screws and a hole for the Motec. I believe the same part in your car is carbon fiber. I'm sure the complete center console assembly would be in the thousands.

I considered 3Rs and RSRs before buying my Grand Ammer. The clincher was the exact thing you are experiencing now, the cost to field and maintain it. My car is pretty basic compared to yours and yet I have already realized my limits and switched from self supporting to a full shop support set up.
You are correct - its a "4 digit" part ($). Having both Cup and R makes Cup seem "cheap". My R carrier had been modified and looked like hell - it bugged me, but was functional. OCD at its finest.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:09 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone has a really nice one I can scan it hand have some made up and also add it to the Demon Speed website.

I can even have some made from carbon plate. Yes, not factory, but it would look great.

Thanks

Ed
Old 06-29-2017, 08:30 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I could use one of those center console panels too (also known as a carrier plate assembly, P/N 997.613.186.93) for a 997.2 Cup. Mine has been modded and is not very pretty. But when I inquired of PMNA a few months ago, the part was available -- for $1273.00. What stopped me was the price, not the lack of availability. If anyone wants to produce one for a reasonable price, I'd be interested too. If a few of them were made at once, it would become much more economical. In addition to getting the correct plastic to match the original, another issue will be getting the lettering to match the factory part.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Would be really easy to 3D print.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:31 PM
dogger15
Racer

If anyone has a really nice one I can scan it hand have some made up and also add it to the Demon Speed website.
Count me in.

I'm hoping someone will respond to my WTB add, but if that fails, I guess I could take the one out of my car and send it to you as a template. It's a .1 version but the .1 and .2 are the same except for the cutouts for the switches and lights. My car is out of action while getting refreshed, so now would be a good time. If somebody with a .2 carrier could send one in as well, then you would have both version to reproduce and sell.

I inquired of PMNA a few months ago, the part was available
That sucks to hear, I missed the availability by a few months.

another issue will be getting the lettering to match the factory part.
I've got that issue covered. If we can get some plates ginned up, I can match the OE lettering identically with a dry transfer process. The same process can also be used to label any additional switches or lights the user wants to add.

Would be really easy to 3D print.
I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy one of those. There's a company that sells a 3D laser scanner that would make a great combo along with Solid Works and a 3D printer.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:54 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I can help with the scanning and printing if interested, my shop runs Steinbichler scanners and SLS and SLA printers.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:39 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

The lesson i learned at the '06 PCA Club Race at Sebring with the Porsche Motorsports truck there when I needed a set of 996 Cup Rotors and was told in rather not so nice terms, "we don't carry parts for those old cars anymore". Taught me you are only useful to them with current model.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:27 PM
dogger15
Racer

I guess I'm not too surprised to hear this.

In spite of the lack of support, we are determined to come up with a suitable replacement for this part. I have been contacted by several RLers expressing an interest. Some want to replace hacked up originals. Some just want a do over because the switch arrangement they have now is a mess. In my case, I'm out of room and still have several new switches and controls to add.

So far my research has determined the OE panel is constructed of 3mm thick matte Black, smooth finish machinable ABS plastic which I have already found a source. Next is to get a donor panel scanned and then find someone that has the equipment to precision cut the panel shape and the various cut outs.

The goal is an exact copy of the Porsche part.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Send me a pm and I will hook a brother up!
Old 07-08-2017, 01:03 AM
dogger15
Racer

PM sent.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 997.2 Parts Supply