Just bought a 996 Cup - greetings to all

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 05:50 PM
More Cowbell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 996 Cup - greetings to all

Hey everyone.

I've just sold my M3 CSL and bought a 996 cup car. It's a big step in a fairly unknown direction but I'm having a great time so far. I know my way round a race track, I suppose. I've done a little under 150 laps round the Ring, but haven't had anything to drive which has been so visceral, powerful and, er expensive if I get it wrong.

I've done a few laps on an evening track session to see how things work, and I reckon I'll do a full day at Oulton Park next month.

Anyway, I'm kind of feeling a bit all the gear no idea right now, so apologies in advance for future threads at a more basic level than usual!

One thing on my mind is how I should approach driving it in the early stages. Should I get a coach straight out? And do people do their own maintenance or mke sure they have track support?

Any assistance and advice is gratefully and humbly received! I posted on pistonheads before buying the car a few weeks ago and got some very knowledgable responses about ownership, but it's time I was on here from a Porsche nut point of view. I've had a 964 for ten years and this is a big step up from that!

Cheers all.

Joseph

Photo or two for anyone interested:
Attached Images   
Old 06-18-2017, 06:01 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice... Congrats!!! Yes get a coach. Will bring you along very quick.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:54 PM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Joseph, big congrats. I got my first cup just two weeks ago. I highly recommend a coach. Also, having a shop support you should pay off big time.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:53 AM
More Cowbell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, Karl!

Fairly remiss of me not to mention you. No question that I wouldn't have had a clue of how to approach this whole thing without Karl. From finding the car to being a broker with the seller in Holland. He basically provided me credibility as a buyer and constant advice throughout so we could actually put the whole thing together with a car in another country. I would recommend getting someone like Karl to help you if you are anything except a market expert. I've had Porsches for a few years, but this is obviously another world, and Karl was my way in.

Also a big shout out to Ivo van Reit the seller in Amsterdam who is a major trader over in the continent, who was really easy to deal with, Karl having set everything up.

Generally this has been my least hassle dealing with the car trade since I started driving!

Now just the small matter of learning how to drive it properly!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coach and knowledgeable shop is best way to start out

Welcome and congrats on an amazing car!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Joseph,
Agree with all of the above. I have been driving my 996 cup for about 5 months now and every outing I learn something new. My car is like my wife however, she is very intolerant of mistakes...But extremely rewarding when you drive her like she's supposed to be driven!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:29 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 612 Likes on 300 Posts

" Welcome to the party Pal"
Rich
Old 07-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Pbacon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is what I did for a car I bought last December. Find some track days (PCA, Track Daze) and stay away from racing for several weekends because otherwise you will be under pressure to drive fast without knowing how the car handles under different conditions. Build up some seat time just taking it easy and getting to know the car. Have access to a mechanic and have him go over the car looking for loose and broken stuff. Look for mechanical bits that are loose and worn out. Pay special attention to control arms, suspension, shifter, shift cables, etc. Get your data, camera and telemetry working so you can build a data baseline. Change all the fluids to get a baseline for fluid changes. Get some decent tires but you don't need fresh rubber. I just bought a HD Smarty Cam and will buy an AIM solo (not DL) for lap times. Plug the Smarty Cam into the MOtec and just use the AIM for comparative laps while you are in the car. No need to fool with a beacon because the Motec does not give you any feedback during the lap, only the final lap time. You may find the jacks worthwhile to use. I bought 2 small nitrogen bottles to use with the wand. I get more than a weekend out of a bottle as long as I don't use it for the air wrench. Before you hire a coach, make sure the car is mechanically sound and reliable. Stick with tracks you know well at first so you are not learning the car and track at the same time. Have fun and don't worry about how fast you are going at first. The speed will come naturally.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 996 Cup - greetings to all