997 gen 2 cupcar engine/piston failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:23 PM
DG27
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 gen 2 cupcar engine/piston failure

Seeking advice here

This weekend piston number 4 of my 2014 997.2 caupcar melted in race conditions and our team are trying to work out why.

I run the Holinger shiftek system which has also been troublesome this weekend and not always downshifting so I have had to over rule it a couple of times via a switch on the steering wheel (could that have caused an over rev). The problem there seems to be the system thinks its on more than 12% throttle when I am off it and that condition only happens after about 15 mins or racing. Any thoughts there please on a fix?

Have people experienced piston melt before like this, I now need a new crank case, head, pistons etc which is an expensive solution. What could have caused this? The valves are still in place more or less although the plug was damaged in the process of course

All feedback and thoughts appreciated on my first post with Rennlist

David
Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say you should now if a over rev occurred due to rpm jump and engine sound change. You should also be able to read the dme for over revs and at what time they occurred.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:51 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok, first, sorry to hear especially first post!

Likely areas to check. Coil Packs, fuel injectors, always run 100 octane or above....

Only really saw this one time and it was likely caused by poor fuel quality.

Quick Reply: 997 gen 2 cupcar engine/piston failure