Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

6Cup - leakdown from both exhaust valves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 02:04 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6Cup - leakdown from both exhaust valves?

Okay I'm stumped....

Getting low compression (obviously) and high leakdown out of my Cup engine. It's coming out of the exhaust valves on #2.

Whats weird - is that it's coming out of both exhaust valves at the same time. As if they weren't closing properly. It's only on one cylinder. Why would both valves do this? They don't share a lifter, spring, etc...

Baffled.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Two probabilities, carbon build up in cylinder due to lack of use...best scenario but highly unlikely.

More likely, stretched rod or floated valves due to overrev, valves meeting mr piston and slightly bending.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:15 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's certainly not from disuse.

Misuse perhaps. I guess it's not weird that both would be bent, is it?

Have to tear it down no matter what, but I'm at the speculation before disassembly phase.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:15 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some ways to check without tearing the engine down.

Remove the spark plug from that cylinder. Remove that primary exhaust pipe from the cylinder. Get one of those really powerful flash lights and shine it into the plug hole. Look up the exhaust port. sometimes you can see the light if the valves are not sealing. If you have access to a borescope, this becomes a lot easier. You can also look with the scope to see if there is carbon buildup on the seats, Turn the engine over until those valves are at their highest lift and with the scope look at the seats and the valve margins. Caution while doing this, do not turn the engine as the scope with destroy its self.

If there are signs of carbon buildup, you can CAREFULLY tap of the follower with a plastic punch or similar while a leak down tester is installed. The % often drops as you bounce the valve back onto the seat. This may not cure the problem but it does give a good indication of the problem. Don't worry about tapping on the follower, as long as you use something soft. You cannot hit the follower as hard as the camshaft does at speed.

Or you can remove the Cam cover and check to see if you have lash between the follower and the camshaft. There should be lash. If there is no lash, the follower can be holding the valve off the seat. Probably not the case as this would have been from the beginning. But you should check.

Or you can figure out the engine has hours of running time and its time to rebuild.

I'd guess the last suggestion is the correct one. We all try to put of the inevitable???
Old 11-01-2016, 01:13 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The other possibility is a cracked cylinder head...

Quick Reply: 6Cup - leakdown from both exhaust valves?