Old 06-27-2016, 05:52 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 996 GT3 Cup Alignment Data

Looking for a set of alignment data containing the following:

Castor (Front)
SAI (Kingpin Angle)
Is SAI even measured when aligning a cup?

Also helpful:
Front Camber
Thickness of Shims
Front Ride Height

What matters most is that all the data is from a single alignment, and from a car with standard/nearly standard 6 Cup parts (uprights, subframes, control arms). The car can have exchanged the inner LCA joint for a spherical from standard rubber. If the castor puck was also exchanged for a fixed/machined insert, please note. Also if machined insert, what caster puck hole was this alignment done with an how was the angle of holes set?

I assume that by default the upper strut mounts for cups are in the increased negative camber 'rotated' position (rounded nub on the inside), Is that correct?

Why do I need this?
I've built an assembly of solid models, and am error checking. Everything looks correct visually, but I cannot get the SAI angle I'm using to jive with the castor I'm using for the length of this LCA.

Much Appreciated,
Andrew
Old 06-29-2016, 02:25 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Are you looking for the factory specs or a real world example? Also, I have never seen SAI talked about, maybe it is in hushed tones...

Ray
Old 06-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

here you go:
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2016, 06:35 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Real-world example.

There are a few alignment sheet pics out there with SAI, all come from street GT3, very few are 996. Roughly 18.5-21°. On the one data set I've found, castor is already out of spec for street (8°42'), and the camber isn't quite negative enough for track. I've no clue what combination of parts it was using, or what the Ride Height was set to. Very hard to draw any conclusions from it.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

The above is from a 2004 996 Cup
This is what Porsche Motorsport recommends as basic settings with enough play in each part to alter it to personal needs and/or track and weather conditions.

a thank you would have been nice
Old 06-29-2016, 07:01 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Originally Posted by Q&A
here you go:
Thanks, but the two most important bits are missing: Castor and SAI. Castor and SAI are measured from a plumb line on planes which intersect at 90°. This helps me locate the static position in 3D space for the lower ball joint relative to the spherical bearing in the top mount.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:34 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Originally Posted by Q&A
The above is from a 2004 996 Cup
This is what Porsche Motorsport recommends as basic settings with enough play in each part to alter it to personal needs and/or track and weather conditions.

a thank you would have been nice
I'm always grateful for any reply. The reply you responded to was in response to Ray's inquiry. (we were cross-posting, no worries)
To give you a better idea of what I'm doing, here is a quick render of what I've got thus far:

Name:  front%20rend_zpsbcsuualq.png
Views: 1140
Size:  38.8 KB

I will eventually have the entire front end built such that I can move the wheels up and down and measure toe & camber changes. As you can see, no upright. Pretty sure the stand-in I was using is not sized correctly. I want to rebuild it, but would rather locate the LBJ with something in reality first, then use the LBJ as reference to help build the upright. The inner LCA location has the same sort of issue. My subframe is sketchy at best. Although the locations are taken from patent documents, it might be a bit out of whack. Previous to this I was trying to determine suspension locations by simple stick drawings in 3D. It was nearly impossible to determine spatial relation and see what was positioned correctly.
Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited by lordpantsington; 06-29-2016 at 08:33 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 06-30-2016, 01:04 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

all good Lord Pantsington. Hope you find what you're searching for. If you need me to measure something from my Cup that's not in this data. Explain me like to a 15 yr old what you're after and maybe i can help. mail me at: info@porschedriversclub.com

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 Cup Alignment Data