Sponsored by:

How much Nitrogen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:35 AM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How much Nitrogen?

I'm trying to work out some of the final details regarding storage solutions and plumbing air lines and fittings inside my trailer.

In the interest of maximizing interior space I'm going to have several under floor compartments. One compartment located toward the front will house two 138 CF Nitrogen bottles that will be plumbed into a manifold and regulator that lead to hard lines in the trailer walls and terminate with several quick disconnects inside and out. In addition I want to store two additional 138 CF bottles in a second compartment under the floor. My pit cart stores a fifth 120 CF bottle and my Nitrogen cart is powered by two 60 CF bottles. This gives me a total of around 800 CF.

I'm only using the Nitrogen to power some air tools and the air jacks. Question, is this enough Nitrogen for a typical DE or race weekend, more than enough, not enough? What kind of Nitrogen consumption do most of you see?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

How will that work to refill the bottles that live under the floor? I swap my bottle at the welding supply shop. Will you have to take your trailer to a filling station or will you wrestle the bottles out of the trailer?
Old 03-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

That sounds like a real hassle. Plumbing it, installing and removing the bottles for refills, hooking everything up so there are no leaks, turning on/off the bottles under the floor, moving the car for access, etc. Much easier to just buy one huge bottle and mount it to the wall. Easy to swap when it gets low and big enough that it will last several events.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:41 PM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic of my setup, candidly don't know capacity of the bottles but know they should last at least 5+ race weekends if not more

Name:  photo953.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  445.2 KB
Old 03-23-2016, 08:22 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

you could buy the aluminum bottles, then you would not need anything under the floor, they look pretty good.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:36 AM
YOCOHO
Racer

Originally Posted by entityx
Here's a pic of my setup, candidly don't know capacity of the bottles but know they should last at least 5+ race weekends if not more

Attachment 1033752
Nice trailer setup I just ordered a ATC 24' .
Would you mind posting a few more pictures of your interior I want some idea's of layout.
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 03-24-2016, 01:04 PM
entityx
Racer

Originally Posted by YOCOHO
Nice trailer setup I just ordered a ATC 24' .
Would you mind posting a few more pictures of your interior I want some idea's of layout.
Thanks,
Jerry
Here you go, it's a great trailer but i'm already yearning for more space
Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2016, 12:04 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by entityx
Here you go, it's a great trailer but i'm already yearning for more space
Thank you!
Jerry
Old 03-28-2016, 06:21 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How will that work to refill the bottles that live under the floor?...That sounds like a real hassle.
Nothing is carved in stone, I'm just bouncing ideas off you guys to get some feedback and input on things I may not know about or haven't considered.

As far as the hassle associated with well mounted bottle(s), I don't think it would be that big of a deal to service and connect because I plan to use Aluminum bottles (thanks stujelly), my days of wrestling hundred pound plus steel bottles are over, and they will be equipped with special quick disconnect fittings. Service would entail pulling the disconnect, lifting a 50 lb bottle out of the well, screwing on the valve protector that doubles as a handle, putting it in the back of the truck for a trip to the local Airgas to get a refill. I guess I could accomplish the same thing by lining bottles up on the wall of the trailer, but until I get a handle on how much junk I'll need, I'm trying to keep as much wall and floor space empty as I can. The N2 bottle well would be located on the floor just inside the side door adjacent to the winch and winch battery wells so no need to move the car for access.

This post was primarily to find out how much Nitrogen folks used during an average race weekend so I could get an idea how many (and how big), bottles I would need to have on hand. Looking at the pictures entityx's posted (nice set up, by the way), it looks like he's running a 180 cf and another smaller bottle that last him numerous events. That's what I was looking for and that tells me I don't need as much as I had originally planned.

For trailer size and shape, I'm down to either a 26' tag or a 34' gooseneck. The gn has about the same amount of usable floor space (25') as the tag. I would use part of the upper portion to house the genset. I need to get everything figured out and finalized by June if I want to take delivery this Fall.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: How much Nitrogen?