Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

CUP engine total schade... Detonation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 02:41 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts
Default CUP engine total schade... Detonation?

So we opened up my '05 CUP engine because the head gasket was leaking and found this...
In the last test it was seriously down on power and felt like it ran on 5...thought it was a coil gone bad.nope. Looks like detonation...

Engine has a little less than 70 hours...so a full rebuild is in order. But I could've waited until the end of the season. I have a race in two weeks so we are in a hurry.

Pics: http://m3supercar.1g.fi/kuvat/996CUP/Motorenschade/

Old 06-25-2015, 03:07 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm not Cup engine expert but a bad head gasket would be a source of air that could cause a lean condition. The detonation and damage could be the result of the head gasket failure.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I'm not Cup engine expert but a bad head gasket would be a source of air that could cause a lean condition. The detonation and damage could be the result of the head gasket failure.
Sounds very logical. Should've opened it up earlier...

Now the big question is; wether to rebuild it all stock 3.6 or go 3.9...?
I'm the only in class even if I stay stock (everyone else is running a newer CUP here) so might as well make it a nice 500hp engine and go into modified class.

On the other hand I planned on racing the car in VLN next year but I think even in 100% stock form I'd be in SP7 running with the newer cups...

Quick Reply: CUP engine total schade... Detonation?