Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Trailer for 996 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 AM
DarrellT
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had several open trailers and several enclosed ones. I would not tow my Cup on an Open trailer on a regular basis, but for a quick trip to the shop or something, no problem. My favorite trailers are ATC and I use the Race Ramp extensions with 5 degree angle. I have one set of standard Race Ramps for one trailer, the other trailer needed custom 2 piece. I would echo the winch advice, especially the wireless remote.

The key is the use of the appropriate Race Ramp set up to get into the trailer. Buy a used enclosed trailer if you need to, but you need to take a Nitrogen tank, jack stands, and a bunch of other items that are easiest handled with an enclosed trailer. Anything can be done on an open trailer, but why?

DT
Old 04-20-2014, 12:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
Unfortunately I'm not ready for an enclosed trailer just yet. Anyone out there using an open trailer for their Cup?
trust me.
the day after you buy the open trailer will be the day you are ready to sell it and buy enclosed. and buy the absolute largest trailer can possibly afford. there are no trailer that's too big.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:29 AM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Seems like the consensus is to go enclosed. With that I'm scrapping the open idea and now looking for a closed. Thanks for the advice all. Now, does anyone have one for sale? I'm towing behind an X5 diesel. Hence the original idea of an open trailer. I hear the Trailex CTE 84180 would be ok with my tow vehicle
Old 04-20-2014, 11:36 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

See post 2 above.

You bought in to a factory race car, half the equation.

The other half is support, which includes the trailer and all the stuff which you'll need in it.

Plus beer.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:02 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I wish I had a f250 (instead of 2013 f150) for my featherlite 3110. If you're towing an enclosed plus spares it is time to step up.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian James Race Shuttle 5. Here towing with a Toyota Hilux Diesel ( very guttless), usually with my Cayenne S 2004
Old 04-20-2014, 01:57 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

If you race you really need an enclosed, for a DE/track day where you don't need the spares/rains/gear an open trailer is handy but that's about it.

There is a big difference towing an open vs closed trailer, besides the fact that you put a lot more crap in it, the aero is a huge factor in controlling the rig. I relocated my enclosed 20' aluminum trailer a few times with my 4.4X5, while it had plenty of power and brakes the stability leaves a lot to be desired. Not a long haul setup.

If you are set on this path then a must for you would be a Hensley Arrow or Propride sway eliminator hitch. These use a series of articulating links to really eliminate sway. I still use one with my tundra crew cab and 20' aluminum trailer. You don't even feel semi or crosswinds, solid as a rock even in hard braking. They also have built in equalizing. A little $$$$ and you have to get used to hookup but for a small TV an absolute must.

DO NOT go smaller than a 24' standard height or a 20' high box (this is what I have so you can tack above the car) I would be out of room with a std height 20' and it still takes some clever packing. I was limited on parking space if I had to do it again it would be a minimum 28'.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:17 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

check on racingjunk dot com
always a ton of stuff for sale, just need to sift through the dealer ads to get to the private ads......
Old 04-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Trailex are nice. I've had great luck with Cargo Pro. Light weight, extremely well built and very
affordable. You can tow their 20' easily with your X5 and your cuppy will have plenty of room
Another good thing about an enclosed is you can leave the car in it freeing up the garage
Old 04-20-2014, 09:02 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

There's an enclosed Trailex listed on RL that's well optioned. Big $ but that's the market.

Quick Reply: Trailer for 996 Cup