Sponsored by:

08-13 cup problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS !!
Bob: I know you are going to love this. The car went in for the hubs, etc. replacement and is having the air inductor plenum replaced under the Workshop Campaign" notice at the same time. Porsche is allowing the dealers 2.7 hrs for the replacement job. Easy enough if it all could be done from the top. While the old plenum can be snaked out from the top because it is plastic with some give, the new one is metal and inflexible (which is probably what they should have done in the first place). THEREFORE, THEY HAVE TO DROP THE ENGINE TO DO IT. Not really my problem, but the dealers are apparently up in arms over it since it will now take more than 8 hrs to do. Now Porsche is not only trying to screw their customers, but their own dealers.
As for the CL's- to bring a car into Canada from the US, all repairs covered by a "recall" must have been performed and signed off on by the dealer before export. Canada considers these "workshop campaigns" a recall. My friend the dealer cannot export a 1000 mile Turbo S cab. to Canada unless the hub replacement, etc has been done. This story just keeps getting better.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Marc @ Red Line Service
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw photos from motorsports yesterday from a butterfly shaft failure. REALLY ugly. Parts embedded in the pistons and heads. The motor had low hours since a motorsport rebuild, but the failure bulletin just came out 2-3 weeks ago. DON'T RUN YOUR CAR UNTIL YOU DO THE REPAIR. G-A, WC spec and street RS 3.8 and 4.0 I believe.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:13 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Marc, any chance you could share those pics of failure? Thanks in advance...
Old 06-18-2013, 12:03 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Would love to see the pics.

Something similar happened to a friend's 3.8 RS at the Glen on Friday. Not yet confirmed that this was the cause, but he had the recall done the week prior.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Would love to see the pics.

Something similar happened to a friend's 3.8 RS at the Glen on Friday. Not yet confirmed that this was the cause, but he had the recall done the week prior.
Friend's RS at the Glen turned out to be the cam adjuster screws, not the butterfly.

However, another friend's GTC4 car suffered a failure at the VIR race last week. Car is at Autometrics, and initial findings can be seen below. They haven't gone deeper yet.

Don't know what a 'twin-flap' motor is, but I'm pretty sure that this is the issue being discussed here :/
Attached Images   
Old 07-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Twin flap has the dual metal plenum. Haven't seen failure in the single flap with the metal/plastic plenum 98-07 cup motors that I know of...
Old 07-06-2013, 01:54 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Is Motorsports doing anything? Is the upgraded intake center section available?
Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

I spoke with PMNA about the flap issue and this is Porsche's explanation and position:

- The shafts are breaking on the larger plenum flap due to excessive end play. The end play allows the flap to drag in the plenum bore adjacent to the shaft, flex the shaft, and eventually break it. Loud noises result.

- The smaller flap is not an issue.

- The 'fix' is to shim the shaft on both sides of the flap to keep it centered in the bore. Shims are available at McMaster-Carr.

- PMNA will perform the shim mod for the Cup cars at no charge if an intake is sent (call first).

- Porsche will 'help' with damage that occurred in Cup engines that had less than 50 hours on them. Their position is that these are 50 hour engines, and if sent in within that interval, the 'fix' would have been performed during the normal rebuild and carnage would have been avoided. The amount of 'help' Porsche will provide was not defined.

- The issue is still lurking on the dual flap intakes that have not been modified/fixed. Those in the field need to be fixed or there is risk of failure and damage!

- The street GT3's use a different intake and their re-call doesn't apply to the Cup.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:51 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Default NOT AN APPROPRIATE FIX

Given the current info, this type fix should not be considered a solution. There's a fractured shaft under the sleeve:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 08-13 cup problem