Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

What are the basic requirements for GT3 Cup North America?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Fubawu
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What are the basic requirements for GT3 Cup North America?

I was curious what the format and costs of running in this series are? I noticed that there seems to be two divisions early and late models. I guess I am looking for all the details where the drivers typically come from costs rules etc.
I can't seem to find a website with the details or outline.

Cheers
John
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

it should all be there

http://imsachallenge.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 AM
boothkc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figure several thousand dollars per hour to run the car and $5-10k+ per weekend for "pro" track support. For example you will need at least 2 sets of tires to be competitive at most races ($2500/set). Engine and gear box reserve costs are about $1000/hr. Most good teams charge $7k+ to support and transport the car etc. So it adds up pretty fast. I'd guess a budget of $150k+ to run IMSA full season would be "ball park" less the car, personal travel, and damage.

Yikes.

You can run novice races like PCA, POC, for less if you crew yourself and conserve tires... but?!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Fubawu
Advanced

Do you think most of these teams are "gentleman" racers? I seem to see a large variance in the paddock. From a single car trailer and tent to Major haulers with catering!! I guess the teams budgets are vastly different. Would this be 05/06 cars vs 12/13?? How do there budgets differ?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to think they're "gentleman racers".

I have to race with them...
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM
boothkc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For IMSA/Pirelli Cup/PCA and other non "pro series" they are supposed to be amateur racers (gentlemen?). IMSA would be the highest level of this and not much "guidance" on when someone is about to be a pro (makes their living driving) vs. gets paid a bit vs. pays themselves etc.

The big rigs are often their to support gentlemen racers for example pro support from TRG or Kelley Moss is usually on a per slot basis with many gentlemen paying to have their cars supported and transported. These companies provide everything for gentlemen to arrive and drive (transport, mechanics, coaching, data analysis, food etc). Every event/support team is different, but I've been quoted between $8-12k (average $10k) to have this level of service. BTW this is the cost to get you to and help you at the track.... it doesn't include pre race prep, parts, damage repairs, tires, fuel etc. However, makes you feel like a pro and can be the only way some "time pressed" gentlemen can make this work. Eventhough the cars wear the team's logos and branding they are individual's cars. Some companies like TRG also run/support pro cars so it is confusing.

BTW not much delta (other than car cost) to support a '07-9 vs '10-12 car.

Hope that helps,
Kevin
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Here are the rules. They aren't really easy to find off the official series link:
http://www.imsaracing.net/newpage2a....xnewgt3a-c.cfm
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Fubawu
Advanced

Thanks guys this is very informative, Kevin your write up clears things up. For people that
have run the series how is it run? What are the incentives? Is there opportunity to run other
GT3 series does it act as a feeder series to Super Cup?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT3 Challenge is America's verision of the Carrera Cup races held in other countries. In the US it is a support series for the ALMS, like the SuperCup is for the F1 weekends in Europe.

All drivers are "Gentlemen" drivers. No pros and if you win the series, you have to either move up in class (person winning gold class would participate in Platinum class the next year). Person wins Platinum and they're moving on. This year they have started a new "Masters" division (must have turned 45 by first race weekend). I think this is due to people bitching about getting beat by 16-20 year olds...

Races are very well run and Porsche and IMSA do a GREAT job with the series. Competition is VERY good in the top 5 but pretty average below that (especially in gold class). I haven't run Pirelli Cup but I believe the GT3 Challenge is the best/most consistent/most competitive racing for newer Cups in the U.S.

Quick Reply: What are the basic requirements for GT3 Cup North America?