Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

997 Cup Switches

Old 07-22-2012, 02:25 AM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Cup Switches

Need assistance. I have a new to me 08 997 cup with premier fuel cell.

anyway, in the attached pic, just below the fuel pump switch is a lighted switch that is noted as hazard. the owner before me had covered the hazard text and marked it as reserve. what is this? i can push the lighted button in?

also, below the fog light, is a 3 position switch that the previous owner had marked as inside fuel pump? what is this?

thanks in advance.

sure looking forward to getting this car out on the track.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM
boothkc
Advanced

The fuel cells are custom installed so they are not all the same. Usually there is a switch to activate the reserve pump when low fuel light turns on. BTW low fuel means go to pits you will run out in about a lap... dont try to finish the race.

The 3 position switch could be from a cool suit install or perhaps they used it to set the 3 modes in the ECU. Apparently, you can select something like qualifying, race, and endurance modes in the ECU if you wire in a 3 pos switch. Some race bodies dont permit this so "blank" switch may be the key. Is there a second switch for "reserve fuel" if not that may be what is meant by "inside fuel pump" but should be on/off. Any input from old owner or shop that did the fuel cell install??

Factory hazard blinker switch is the upper round one and is just like a street car. Push and see what happens. The lower one with the symbol looks like it may just be a light or an alternate switch for the hazard.

The only 2 things you should not push are the round fire button with the plasic shield (upper mid left) and the fire button (red round one) near the glass and hood junction on drivers side. The red wire is there is the master electric off, BTW. If you push the fire button you will be unimpressed with a puddle of soap that doesn't seem adequate to wash the car with. Its about $300 to recharge. I added an aviation Halon hand bottle to the inside tank mount. It is held in by the black straps.... no drilling. You can get these from aircraft suppliers such as Aircraft Spruce for about $200. I like to disconect the plug from the little red fire control box to make sure bystanders dont hit the button (happened once). Just make sure you plug it back for the race.

Enjoy the learning curve. I have an '08 too. Had a hard time with some basic quesitons when I first got the car as well. Not much in the book and getting some pro shop help is nice. Amazed me how many "experts" didn't know how or what some stuff did.

Email me if you need some advice.

boothkc@yahoo.com

cheers,
Kevin
Old 07-22-2012, 04:00 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

If the 3 position swotch says internal pump it is likely for the internal lift pumps inside the cell. These feed fuel at low pressure to the main pumps. 3 positions, assuming they mimiced the factory r/rsr cars, are off, on only when engine is running, or on continuously for testing/draining the tank.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by boothkc
Amazed me how many "experts" didn't know how or what some stuff did.

Email me if you need some advice.

boothkc@yahoo.com

cheers,
Kevin
lmao, I know what u mean.

Kevin is a great help for me as I got my feet wet with these cars
Old 07-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve, congrats on the new car!
Is the 996 on the block?
Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 PM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input Kevin. I will ask the previous owner tomorrow. Good to know the light on the upper right was the original hazard light. The one i show on the middle on the bottom now operates the hazard lights. When i press the original button a light goes on that is it. Is it common to have to push a button to operate a reserve pump? Perhaps since it was marked as reserve, i would push that button should the light go on showing low fuel?
Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 PM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by claykos
If the 3 position swotch says internal pump it is likely for the internal lift pumps inside the cell. These feed fuel at low pressure to the main pumps. 3 positions, assuming they mimiced the factory r/rsr cars, are off, on only when engine is running, or on continuously for testing/draining the tank.
Hmmm, this could be. I will check.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:01 PM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Surfbum
Steve, congrats on the new car!
Is the 996 on the block?
Thanks Dave. I am super excited. Found a very clean low hour car. Yes, my 996 will be for sale in the near future. I will post when i am ready to sell. Focus right now is getting the new one sorted
Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 PM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by claykos
well, the 3 position switch is exactly as you describe. thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997 Cup Switches