Sponsored by:

SmartyCam / MXL Pista Setup Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SmartyCam / MXL Pista Setup Help

SmartyCam GPS linked to an MXL collects data and video, the GPS recognizes the track but does not produce lap times. It records one session of 8-12 laps (what ever laps I complete for a session) as ONE over all time. When viewed, the GPS data is showing the completed laps, one after the other, on the track map but it's not stoping and starting new lap times at the start/finish, ugh!

Tim
Old 05-20-2012, 08:08 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Call any one of several AIM reps scattered around the country. I use Josh here in So. Cal but any of their techs can help. Their office line here is (800) 718-9090....
Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Sounds like its just not seeing the right Start/Finish coordinates. Or the track.

If you were using preloaded maps, check that your start finish is set correctly.. Or the track is even there. You can always add or adjust it.

You can build your trackmap from GPS data and use that. Thats what I did with a track that had not been loaded. Just look at the GPS data map and position the cursor or drag it (depending on the screen) to set coordinates where they should be.

When building a track map from GPS data, set the coordinates and then when you see lap times use a good reference lap to fine tune both the start finish and the overall track map.

If you have documented start / finish coordinates, you can and should use those when you build your map. Or check

If you are really doubtful about your data: You check can also your NSTAT value to make sure you were seeing multiple satellites in all places. But this is HIGHLY unlikely.. And just a theoretical issue.

Its just the Start / Finish coordinates.

Make sure you download the "GPS manager" software. Its useful.. But you can do this without it.. I just have an MXL, not the smartycam, but the issues and mechanisms are the same.

PM me and I can get on the phone with you and explain in detail or walk you through it.

It sounds as though the S/F coordinates are wrong or missing and when you look at your data, you will see the S/F somewhere in the paddock... (grin)

What track was it?

dan
Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Thanks for the response Dan, I was at the track Sat\Sun and couldn't fix it so I'll have to wait 'til I get back to the track. I'll use your information to remedy this. On another post I started in 'perfomance' forum an RL member suggested to use the SmartyCam 'fix' setting at the S\F. Same idea, the S\F is not set.

I am using (down loaded) GPS manager\SmartyCam Manager. nStats were checked and receiving plenty of satellites. Funny thing, MXL displayed "TRK GD" which I thought meant it was ready. I could not get the "Beacon" setting to display, I assumed the SmartyCam stepped in at that point and controls things.

This event was at Streets of Willow, interestingly there was no issue at all when I was at WSIR two weeks prior (tracks are ajacent to each other). I simply drove it out of the trailer and data collected beautifully, idiot proof!

I'm curious if there is a way to edit the data collected and set a S\F (after the fact) to separate the data into laps so I don't have to mathematically extrapolate the data manually.

It's all new to me so I really don't know the system yet, sorry!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
I'm curious if there is a way to edit the data collected and set a S\F (after the fact) to separate the data into laps so I don't have to mathematically extrapolate the data manually.

It's all new to me so I really don't know the system yet, sorry!
Tim, easy-peasy. Kudos to John Walko for showing me this at Summit Point this past weekend.

Go to Lap Manager and right click on the long (multi-lap) session. On the top right of the screen, select "GPS Lap Insert"

Generally, you can use "Use Start/Finish from GPS Track Database" by selecting the appropriate track.

If the database is not current or loaded, use "Set Start/Finish with Cursor Position."

Click "Continue" and you're done! Lap Manager will show individual laps. Select and go!

HTH.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Beautiful, thanks for that info Peter. I'll give It a go after work tonight, darn work gets in the way of everything!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
Beautiful, thanks for that info Peter.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Peter, easy-peasy was right, worked like a charm. I have all the individual lap data spot on now. Thanks for the info. Now if I can only figure why it didn't do that in the first place.

I used the same track map selection with SmartyCam that I just used to fix my data so I'm not sure why it worked after the fact vs at the track. Seems I have to physically set S/F in some manner while at the track.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam / MXL Pista Setup Help