Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Slick Tires

Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Slick Tires

Quick question before i mount my tires: Got a nice set of 'little' used Michelin slicks and thought about rotating the tires. So the original outside goes inside now. Is this possible ?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but what car are you mounting them on? If they are cup slicks, then they will not work on a 996 GT3 as shown in your avatar.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
Yes, but what car are you mounting them on? If they are cup slicks, then they will not work on a 996 GT3 as shown in your avatar.
Say what? Are you talking about the potential ABS issues?
If so its hit-n-miss. Most of the GT3 cars here don't have that issue.....

To the OP, yea flip them on the rims but also switch them side-to-side. This keeps them turning in their orignally mounted direction but gives you fresh rubber on the inside. I do this literally to every set of slicks I race after 4 HC's. RF to LF, RR to LR. Capiche?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

@ Spare tire (very ON topic name): I have the 27/65 rears and 24/64 front and this fits perfect.
You are right about the 27/68 tires. They are theoretically too high. I tried it once, and it seemed as if the ABS corrected itself after a couple of laps. Drove without any issues for half a day.

@JR: Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:11 PM
dass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the side of the tire with the bead protector not stiffer that the side without or does that make no differance????
Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i tried the cup car 27/68 rears my ABS lit up and blinked ABS brake failure. And when I tried to ignore it and brake hard figureing I would just lose the ABS. Wrong. The bias was way out of whack and It was like I only had calipers on the front and they jumped into ABS long before any real speed had been removed. now i use the 27/65 same as dass and they are great. And Cheaper!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:11 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
When i tried the cup car 27/68 rears my ABS lit up and blinked ABS brake failure. And when I tried to ignore it and brake hard figureing I would just lose the ABS. Wrong. The bias was way out of whack and It was like I only had calipers on the front and they jumped into ABS long before any real speed had been removed. now i use the 27/65 same as dass and they are great. And Cheaper!
And they handle better since they're lower to the ground and have less roll over. It's so weird how some GT3's react to the 680 rears and other don't. Maybe pads, cooling ducts, ambient temps, suspension stiffness, brake fluids, etc. Who the hell knows.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slick Tires