Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

new cup car tub question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is this ebay car ad. I would like to see it.

Ed
Old 05-04-2012, 12:01 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In my opinion if a car has been damaged and repaired and the for sale ad does not list previous damage, the ad is misleading.

I know of another cup car that is for sale on this forum that had severe crash damage and the seller does not state that and even claims that the car has never been damaged.

Just shows you that you have to be very careful when you buy a used race car.

As for the 996 cup being discussed, Im sure the history of the car is appreciated but the condition in which you sold it does not mean it was cared for as well by the new owner or owners that are selling it now.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim if a race car's tub has to be straightened on a jig/rack then that should be disclosed. I can't imagine that your front end wasn't bent, I was there and saw the damage. If you say it wasn't then that's that.

Your car was always fast and obviously well taken care of. It's too bad it got whacked like that. As I said in my previous post, I didn't think you were involved with this sale....
Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Skypalace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wasn't involved with the repairs, but I did have an estimate done by a body shop that does a lot of work on race cars, and took the car to their shop. I was told that the tub itself was fine, but the front right frame rail was nicely bent. The owner of the shop was seriously thinking about repairing and racing it himself, but in the end decided to get a 997 as he wanted a sequential box.

As always, any buyer should do full due diligence with any purchase, esp. of a race car. The person that bought the car from me did so, and was confident on the condition of the car.

The truth is that I was planning to repair the car and make it an enduro car, but I recieved multiple unsolicited offers for the car as is, and I ended up taking the 'easy road', though I still have my regrets.

Re due diligence, I've unfortunately heard way too many stories of people buying cars from pro teams, only to find that all the 'good' bits have been stripped, an old tranny suddenly finds its way into the car, it has beat up radiators, etc. At least most individuals don't have the parts or resources to do such things to a car they're personally selling.

My advice to anyone here looking at a race car they're interested in buying, is to take LOTS of pictures, of the shocks, the uprights, the motor, the tranny, the rads, the interior etc., and to specify in the purchase and sale agreement that the car is to be delivered EXACTLY as seen on X date. Might not hurt to throw some seals on the engine and tranny (I've heard of gears being swapped for old worn gears - Porsche gearbox parts are $$$$). Won't stop anyone from swapping parts if they really want to, but at least then they know they're flat-out committing fraud, and you've got some recourse available.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:21 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

good advice.

I have heard of people taking possession of cars just after races (Daytona, etc) and loading them up and taking them away when the tires were still warm so they really know what they got.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
All in.
Perry's?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW

The resulting tank in the street (homologated car) offered a refill volume of 89 litres...
Not sure which street car you are referring to. I wish I could carry that much fuel.

Originally Posted by 911racer
With the cost of maintenance on the sequential? Not me. Unless I can fit an early trans in a 997.

Ed
A $1,500 auto-blipper will go a long way toward extending the life of the gear box.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 PM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

European LHD 996 GT3 could be ordered with the larger 89L fuel tank

Quick Reply: new cup car tub question