Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

new cup car tub question

Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Completely agree. As the tubs get stressed over time they flex more making suspension setups hard to maintain. A little frame stiffening/seam welding would really be beneficial but not GTC legal unfortunately. Of course there's many out there that have been welded up....

Switchcars add on this forum has Thusly old red monster cup with only 145 total hours and a tired sprint motor. I've wanted that car for many years, we would work well together ....
Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, where the cups built on c4 or c4s chassis ? I had heard at one point that they were c4s's which are a bit wider ?

Thanks

Ed
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
So, where the cups built on c4 or c4s chassis ? I had heard at one point that they were c4s's which are a bit wider ?

Thanks

Ed
The first gen 997 (2005-2009) are the same width as the standard carrera. The 2nd gen cars (2010-2012) are based on the wider RS.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I am thinking 996, not 997.

Thanks

Ed
Old 04-18-2012, 04:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, I am thinking 996, not 997.

Thanks

Ed
996 cups were standard C4 NB tubs.....
Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
All in.

Originally Posted by JoeMag
...even back in the 993 days. On the line in Germany.

Great pics gents; thanks!

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Only because this car came across our radar with a blown motor at a great price. Motorsports used the C4 allegedly because it had a stiffer frame to accomodate the all wheel drive. I don't know where or how they stiffened the C4 but the C2 is definitely lighter.....

Thanks

Ed
996 cups were standard C4 NB tubs.....

The C4 was not more rigid than the C2. This is a myth.

For example all 911 Carrera variants included a range of reinforcements introduced on MY02 ( door sills, roof frame and seat wells).
All cars, compared with their predecessors, had an equal 25% improvement in static strength and torsional rigidity.

The main reason that the 996CUP / 996GT3 used the body from the 996 Carrera 4 was the fact that this was the only body which could be used to meet the fuel tank requirements for a range of race series (FIA GT Championship, etc).
Under these regulations, no part of the fuel tank may extend beyond the forward-most point of the front wheel.

The resulting tank in the street (homologated car) offered a refill volume of 89 litres. This additional capacity was achieved solely by extending the tank into the front differential cavity, without any modification to the shell.

The GT3 and cup tubs (apart from the integrated cage difference_)also had some common key modifications over the std C4.
These included additional welded sections on the rear cross-member, that provided a more even distribution of loads from the engine and gearbox, and a modified rear bulkhead.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I think that 996 Cups are simultaneously on the verge of being collectibles and being worn out. I suspect those two things are going to lead to the retirement of a lot of 996 Cups in the next few years because they are either too tired to race hard or too valuable to race hard. 996 Cup replicas like you talk about are going to become more commonplace and the real ones will be seen mostly at RR and in fewer and fewer numbers in GTC class races in PCA racing. Just my prediction.

There will always be guys who will own some of these cars who will flog it within an inch of it's life for as long at they have the car. But I think a lot of them will get retired in the next 36-48 months. Personally I'd like to grab one before the price on them spikes, which I think it will.

I'm going to be the first to say then, that I'll trade my rare collectors 996 Cup for someones low hour 997 in about 2-3 years. I'll treat it good in the mean time.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cstreit
I'm going to be the first to say then, that I'll trade my rare collectors 996 Cup for someones low hour 997 in about 2-3 years. I'll treat it good in the mean time.
I'm thinking the same thing, I'll be looking for a 997 Cup in 3-4 years. Hopefully the price of the 996 Cups stays firm.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

With the cost of maintenance on the sequential? Not me. Unless I can fit an early trans in a 997.

Ed
Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

With the cost of maintenance on the sequential? Not me. Unless I can fit an early trans in a 997.

Ed

+1....
Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Mark Anderson
The Parts Whisperer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Personally I'd like to grab one before the price on them spikes, which I think it will.
I'll be putting my 2000 up for sale soon. PM me if you are interested.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good, i might be ready for a cup then, only a few miles east from you....
Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many hours on a tub average until it is starts to "stress" or show cracks? I realize it depends on how hard it is driven but just wondering how often you have to replace or weld one up.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed
Look, don't burst my bubble... Okay, I'll take a 959 with low hours for it.

Back on topic... I hope this inquiry isn't a result of your Mid-O weekend Ed!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Skypalace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good point about the tubs. Many are now being straightened that would have been trashed several years ago. There's one that was on E-Bay last week that was pretty balled up last year at Miller in the Pirelli Cup series. The owner bought a 2011 cup and raced that the remainder of the year. Somehow this car was salvaged and is currently on the market. Funny, they didn't mention the wreck in their add. Let me add that I don't think it's owned or marketed by the previous owner/driver who crashed it. At least I hope not....
Let me correct some assertions in this post that I feel need addressing. Nothing at all against you personally JR, but you made this post without full and accurate information.

I'm the former owner of that car since it was new in 2004.

I was not involved in the sale, in fact I was disappointed that the person who bought and fixed it (for his own use) ran into circumstances that forced him to sell it, but I know the situation and completely understand. I'd have fixed it and continued driving it myself, but at the time of the incident the new 2011 car was already on the way from Germany, and showed up a couple of days later, and I had already been doing some shopping of the 996, even though I was leading the 996 championship going into that weekend.

The damage was not nearly as bad as you imply. The hit was to the corner only, it fully missed the doors or tub area. There was no damage from firewall back, in fact from the cell back. The tub was completely fine and did not need to be touched, so it's riduculous to imply that it should have been retubbed or scrapped. I'm 100% confident that it'll continue to be an extremely safe, reliable, and quick car for the new or subsequent owners.

There was nothing misleading in the ad (though I just read it after seeing this post). There aren't a lot of 8 year old Cup cars that have raced competitively and never been in the body shop, and the ad never implied this car had never been damaged. In fact even after that incident, this car has seen less damage than almost any other competitively raced 996 Cup I've seen, that's only the second time a radiator has been replaced, and the first time that more than one body panel was replaced. Over the years I ran it, there was never a logbook entry other than for a cracked windshield and about-to-expire belts.

I am obsessive about maintenance, the engine and tranny are probably in better shape than any other 996 Cup around, PMNA called it the cleanest 996 Cup engine they'd ever seen in a rebuild, and I just plain never missed shifts (though I'm sure my shifts were definitely slower than others), so the tranny was only opened once (when the PMNA rebuild was done).

If the new owner is around here, or other 996 Cup owners, I found a few more spares while reorganizing my trailer that might be interesting. I'd be happy to provide any other info on the car's history, the track records it hold, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new cup car tub question