Sponsored by:

Clips of Randy Pobst testing my 996 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Bman
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Clips of Randy Pobst testing my 996 Cup

I traveled to Roebling Road this past Thursday and Friday to get some seat time in my newly purchased ’05 996 Cup. I bought the car in early November and test drove it for about 10-12 laps at NJMP. I had never driven or ridden in a Cup, so those laps were intimidating to say the least. The car was pretty loose and I spun it twice! FWIW, I had never spun a car in my 90+ track days. Needless to say, my first experience in the car left me overwhelmed and concerned.

This trip to Roebling would be my first chance to really drive the car and get familiar with it. I had never been to Roebling but was looking forward to it. Mike Levitas from TPC Racing rented the track and invited me down. He also invited Randy Pobst who would help Mike setup his IMSA car and work on a new PASM based control system that Mike’s been developing. Randy and Mike won the Rolex 24 in 2006 in a ’05 996 Cup and Randy showed up in the same race suit he wore that day. He was very generous in his willingness to drive my car and to give me his feedback on the setup. It was bittersweet to hear him get out of the car and call it “dangerous!”. I think he took pity on me because he drove the car 6 times the first day! We took turns driving it after many sway bar and shock changes. Each time we would compare impressions, which was extremely educational. Unfortunately, after much work on the car it had not improved by the end of the day. Something was wrong. Hanging out with two very successful pro drivers has its benefits. Not only is Mike a great driver, he's brillant engineer. He was able to came up with an idea at dinner, after hearing Randy’s input, which lead him to making an adjustment in the rear geometry. Randy drove it first thing in the AM and got out proclaiming “it’s fixed!”

An amazing two days! Meeting Randy and spending time with him was priceless but getting the car manageable, thanks to Mike, was just as thrilling. I finally got to enjoy the car instead of fearing it…….well until the 2 year only used slicks gave up on me just when the car was started to behave.

Here are some clips of Randy driving it before and after the TPC fix. Enjoy!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool to watch. Corners where he struggled keeping the car on track at 60 became a breeze at 90 after the fix. What was the problem?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:36 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

That's awesome- whatever it cost you to get Randy and Mike's help was the best money you ever spent.

You could have wasted a year and given up on the car.

Good luck with it!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Bman
Racer

Originally Posted by CWay27
What was the problem?
It's not clear to me.....but the conversation seemed to imply roll steer which caused them to reset the rear geometry; i.e. trailing arms, concentrics, etc...
Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Bman
Racer

Originally Posted by analogmike

given up on the car.

Good luck with it!
I was close to giving up. While Mike was pondering a solution I was thinking about selling it.

Thanks! My outlook changed quickly when I cornered at 1.5g's and thought I could have gone faster.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Bman
Racer

There was unintended benefit of meeting Randy too. Thanks to this photo I am on a diet!

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  198.5 KB
Old 01-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new acquistion. Really nice seeing pre and post suspension correction. Handful comes to mind for the former. Hope to see it out at Summit Point come spring.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:21 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Trying to setup a car w/ old tires is never fun, ask me how I know! Glad you got it sorted.. make sure you have them (or someone else as knowledgable) with you next time you bring the car out on fresh tires.. the setup will most likely need to be adjusted.

-mike
Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Trying to setup a car w/ old tires is never fun, ask me how I know! Glad you got it sorted.. make sure you have them (or someone else as knowledgable) with you next time you bring the car out on fresh tires.. the setup will most likely need to be adjusted.

-mike
THIS.

And congrats! Great choice!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Nice that they worked it out, couldn't get better help than that, good luck with it! Recommend RTR and Schattenbaum for DE events in the NE, imo, they have good high speed car management and passing skills in the upper run groups... maybe see you out there at NJMP or Summit
Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Bman
Racer

Originally Posted by Sam N
Hope to see it out at Summit Point come spring.
For sure! Can't wait to drive it on our home track.

Originally Posted by fleadh
the setup will most likely need to be adjusted.
I hear ya, thanks! I would imagine it's going to tight with fresh tires. But I'll take tight over the way it was

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
And congrats! Great choice!!!
Thanks! Mind telling me how to drive it
Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Bman
Racer

Originally Posted by TwentySix
Recommend RTR and Schattenbaum for DE events in the NE, imo, they have good high speed car management and passing
Thanks, I've run a few times with RTR and really enjoyed it. Last event was Watkins Glen this summer and your car looks familar, were you there?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Bman

Thanks! Mind telling me how to drive it
I wouldn't mind at all! You should sign up for Cups & Saucers, great event perfect for this sort of one on one coaching.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Great story....Nothing like having a couple of pros tune the car for you. It's impressive on how they can sense setup to the level of details most drivers can barely notice.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bman
Thanks, I've run a few times with RTR and really enjoyed it. Last event was Watkins Glen this summer and your car looks familar, were you there?
PM sent

Quick Reply: Clips of Randy Pobst testing my 996 Cup