Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

cup cars v practicality

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:07 AM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cup cars v practicality

much of the reason for posting this was the replace a now redundant question and i couldnt delete. might aswell use the bandwidth for something positive

i sold out my cup car last year as time has been hugely against me and getting time to trailer everything to a track just wasnt happening. i picked up a gt3 and did some mods to make it less dull and marvelled and how being able to take in an early morning run on quiet roads atleast allowed me to drive for enjoyment. oh if only the cup had been road legal!!!!!

anyways, what started out as quite gentle modding, motons, monoballs, adjustable arms, links etc along with a nice setup has sort of grown out of hand and im now firmly down the road of an almost pseudo cup car. interior is almost all out and ive lexan windows waiting to pop in amongst many other things already there.
i guess im firmly addicted to the harsher end of the motoring experience. the big GT cars like astons were always what i thought id end up in but as i grew up it ended up not that way at all. my ferrari 360 is right at the comfortable end of things for me and when i bought that it was because i couldnt get round the plushness of the 430 after looking at a few.

theres been a few things ive wanted to add, mostly superficial when it really comes down to it, that i couldnt for reasons of practicality. carbon doors were the first big one, then a fuel cell (really i dont need this for the street and the odd track session) now its a cup tow hook as it means losing my crash bar but each one gets harder and harder to take.

i was just curious if there was anyone else who had things on their cups that they would miss, no matter how silly (as these things often are) or what else those building track cars had to pass up on for reasons of common sense and realism.

Last edited by outline; 08-26-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:19 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it is really relevant to this post but I am in the opposite position right now and trying to figure out what is the best thing to do: either strip my GT3 into a street legal race car or get rid of it and buy a Cup car ???

I did few minor mods to the suspension on my car but didn't change the dampers yet. I am at the point where I need to decide to go further and ruin the car or go for a real race car. I don't use it anymore on the streets but I am concerned that the maintenance cost of a Cup car could be much higher. Any others who can share their personal experience ? At this moment, I got a lot of advices to avoid trying to convert the GT3 into a race car it will never really be...
Old 10-17-2009, 01:16 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
either strip my GT3 into a street legal race car or get rid of it and buy a Cup car ???
It will be cheaper to sell it now and buy a Cup Car
Old 10-17-2009, 01:43 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
It will be cheaper to sell it now and buy a Cup Car
+1 - you will thank yourself many times over if you just go ahead and get the Cup - or leave your car as is and enjoy it. You don't want a compromise car - street car turned track car - it won't be great either place and when you go to sell it you will loose all you put in, plus a knock off what a street car would get due to track use.

In the long run if you want a track car and can afford a cup Car go that route. The 2005 Switch Cars has above is a great place to start! There are several 2007 and 2008's of people here selling at great prices as well.

Good luck and enjoy what you have for what it is.

JCM
Old 10-17-2009, 06:11 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all for your feedback.

The plan for next season in my GT3 997 is now to simply switch all rubber bushings to metal (suspension) and complete an old project I had to get rid of the sunroof with a new carbon roof. For the 2011 season, I will try to find a 2009 or 2010 cup car with low hours on it. Still have some driving home works to do and another season to dream about it won't hurt to much...
Old 10-18-2009, 02:01 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

with the cost of running a CUP along wih the logistics of trailering to events, one might be better off buying a street GT3 depending on fiancial budget and time budget.

If you got the time and money, then a CUP is the next level if you wish to take things up a notch...

Until then, a stripped street GT3 with CUP parts can be used for alot of different things as long as you maintain a licence plate.

Someday i would Like to be in a CUP, but until then, im driving my RS in full race trim to and from the track and for the odd daily driving.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Default UPDATE

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Thanks to all for your feedback.

The plan for next season in my GT3 997 is now to simply switch all rubber bushings to metal (suspension) and complete an old project I had to get rid of the sunroof with a new carbon roof. For the 2011 season, I will try to find a 2009 or 2010 cup car with low hours on it. Still have some driving home works to do and another season to dream about it won't hurt to much...

I changed my plans since I was lucky enough to get my hands around a new 997 Cup 2009 !!!! The GT3 is already sold and delivered. Can't wait for the next track season. The winter will be very, very long...

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats

JCM
Old 11-07-2009, 02:42 AM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
+1 - you will thank yourself many times over if you just go ahead and get the Cup - or leave your car as is and enjoy it. You don't want a compromise car - street car turned track car - it won't be great either place and when you go to sell it you will loose all you put in, plus a knock off what a street car would get due to track use.

In the long run if you want a track car and can afford a cup Car go that route. The 2005 Switch Cars has above is a great place to start! There are several 2007 and 2008's of people here selling at great prices as well.

Good luck and enjoy what you have for what it is.

JCM
What he said!! Keep modifying your car it will be 100K before you turn it into anything remotely close to the Cup Car. Make the decision now and you save yourself a lot of time (& money)that you can focus on learning to drive the new toy.In the long run it will cost far less to do it that way--and you can focus on learning to drive it--rather than learning about a lot of modifications.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Don't forget Guys,

A Cup will sit in your garage until you have the time to trailor it to a track. Thiere are no in betweens.

In an ideal world, you would have both....

Quick Reply: cup cars v practicality